Preferred way to use 1Password for IOS

Options
engineerbob
engineerbob
Community Member

On iPhone X, if (1) I go to a site using Safari; (2) go to the logon screen for that site; then (3) with the Sharing icon select 1Password, I must first login to 1Password. Then I am presented with the saved login for that site. Tapping that saved login will fill the logon screen, and then I tap the "Log in" button to logon. If I repeat this sequence for another site, I have to login to 1Password again! This seems very awkward and inefficient. Is this not the preferred way to use 1Password?

For some reason, in 1Password, the login page under Categories, doesn't have an easy way to login. If I click on the site location, I guess it opens up the 1Browser, but doesn't fill in the username/password.

However, if the login is in the Favorites list, copying either the username or password, then touching the site address, seems to always fill in the login info. I don't know why there is this distinction between the Favorites and the Login page, but using the Favorites would appear to be the preferred method of logging in. Is the correct?

1Password Version: 7.0.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there @engineerbob! First off, if you're interested, you can use Face ID to unlock 1Password faster—with that, you'll find the experience in Safari a little bit nicer (and yes, that is how we recommend using 1Password on iOS!). However, things might change with the next version of iOS. ;)

Secondly, there shouldn't be any distinction between launching the 1Password browser from Favorites or Categories, but no matter what you can use the key icon to fill your password while in our browser.

Let me know how all that helps and I'm right here for more anytime!

• engineerbob
    engineerbob
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Henry. First of all, I hate Facebook, and unless I had a business, I would never use it. I do have a Twitter account; maybe that could be a future implementation for using the Safari extension. That being said, I guess there is no easy way to use 1Password from within Safari (i.e., the extension). I would have to unlock 1Password every time that I used it; this to me kind of defeats the purpose of 1Password in Safari. By the way, depending upon the app, I find that 1Password can work very well when logging into an app.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2018
    Options

@engineerbob

I’m not sure where Facebook comes into play in this? Face ID is a feature of the iPhone X itself; it has nothing to do with Facebook. Perhaps you misread what Henry was saying? You could also turn off the “Lock on Exit” setting in 1Password > Settings > Security if you’d prefer not to have to unlock 1Password every time you launch it.

Ben

• engineerbob
    engineerbob
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben for clarifying. "Lock on Exit" was turned off, with auto lock after 1 hour. I turned on Face ID, and it works fine now.

• Ben
    Options

Glad to hear it @engineerbob. Thanks for the update.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.