Unexpected Behavior: "Preferences > Backups > Show Files" does not show directory with backup files

sobriquet
sobriquet
Community Member

When looking for 1P vault backups,

Steps to recreate:
1) Menu > 1Password7 > Backups > Show Files
2) Click "show files"
Expected behavior: finder opens a directory with backup files
Actual Behavior: finder window doesn't open

When looking for 1P Vault backups,

Steps to recreate:
1) Menu > 1Password7 > Backups > Show Files
2) Click "Backup Now"
2) Click "show files"
Expected behavior: finder opens a directory with backup files
Actual Behavior: finder shows location with the current vault. E.g.: ~/<Sync-directory>/1Password/fooo.opvault

The common behavior is that the finder window does not open. The less common behavior is that 1P shows the location of the currently open vault. The second behavior was only seen once.

Searching for files from the command line shows that the backup files are being stored in:
~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups

Other (possibly) relevant information:

• I've opted into the beta version of 1P for quite some time (v4? perhaps, it's been a long time)
  • The system was migrated from using agilekeychain and dropbox sync to opvault and dropbox sync

1Password Version: 7.0.4 (70004001) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sobriquet,

I can't explain what you're seeing I'm afraid and I can't currently reproduce. When I follow the steps I get a Finder window with my Backups folder and all of the backup files selected.

Out of curiosity, what happens with the following steps for you.

1. Open a Finder when and select the menu option Go > Go to Folder....
    2. In the dialog that pops up copy and paste the following path and click the Go button. The path to us is: ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups/.

Does that show your backups? If it doesn't that might at least partially explain why the button isn't working as intended although it does still leave questions.

• sobriquet
    sobriquet
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

There's no problem opening the folder when using the "Go > Go to Folder" option, or when accessing the files via a terminal/shell session. (I confirmed that it was making the backups by running a find for changed files and grepping the output)

No clue as to why the "show files" button seems not to work. The "Find Backup" button works correctly.

• Strange. We’ll keep an eye out for further reports and will be in touch if further information is needed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.