To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Cannot sign in using membership account

Options
donrueter
donrueter
Community Member

I've been using 1Password since day 1 on both of my iMacs. I have been syncing using Dropbox, and it has always worked great.

In attempting to upgrade to 1Password 7, I subscribed for a membership (activated June 6) and I am faced with a signin screen that wants my email address, secret key, and master password. I get the same screen when I go to my.1password.com. 1Password 7 is running on iMac One, and the Emergency Kit tells me my email address and secret key. I know the master password, and it is working fine to unlock 1Password. But when I enter those three items, the system fails to sign me in, telling me "Cannot sign in. Your email address, Secret Key, or Master Password is incorrect." At one time in the past I had another email address, and I tried that one too, thinking that might be the problem. No joy.

I sent a couple of support emails but have not had an answer. Will appreciate any help or sympathy you can offer.

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Dr_Owssap1
    Dr_Owssap1
    Community Member
    Options

Hey donrueter,

I'm not an employee of AB, but I'm sorry to hear you've been having trouble reaching them. Just to clarify a few things:
    1. When you say "I am faced with a signin screen that wants my email . . .", where are you seeing that screen?
    2. It sounds like you downloaded and installed 1Password7, but when you try to add your new subscription, you can't get in--is that what's happening?

I, like you, have also (always) been using DropBox to store my passwords, and I haven't upgraded to 1P7 yet, but I know that we don't get secret keys for the non-subscription accounts, so you might want to instead try resetting your 1P subscription account online (so long as you still have your vault stored in DropBox), and then migrate over to your new account once you get the secret key issue worked out using these instructions found here.

If you can post a screenshot of what you're looking at when you get stuck, that could help people on here diagnose what's going on, too.

Either way, best of luck!

• donrueter
    donrueter
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Dr. O,

I have an archived email from 2017 with this information:

And that secret key matches the one I can display in my 1Password emergency kit. So, my account at that time (I think it was a family account) provided me with a secret key.

On June 5, I subscribed and received confirming emails that my subscription had been activated and that my cc payment had been processed.

1. At that time, I attempted to sign in at https://my.1password.com/signin/ to check the status of my account. I used my email address and secret key as verified by that email and subsequent attempts to "find my account" as shown at the bottom of the signin page. I get this message:

1. You are right--I can't get in.

The master password I am trying to use is the one that unlocks my current 1PW vaults. I do have several logins in 1PW that were apparently used previously to sign in, but none of them will let me sign in now. Seems to me that I read somewhere that the master password used to sign in could be different from the one that unlocks 1PW. It would be very helpful to have a "forgot my password" link.

You suggested resetting my account. Do you mean to simply create a new account and abandon this one? How will that link with my new subscription?

Thanks again for your help.

• Meek
    Options

Hey @donrueter, I'm sorry to hear about the trouble!

When signing up for a 1Password membership, it is possible to choose a different Master Password to the one you were using before. It sounds like that is what happened here - there was probably a little difference between the Master Passwords.

We can definitely help get this all straightened out, however we'll need to continue over email. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't hear back from your emails yet - would you mind posting your Support ID here? That'll help us find your email faster - we'll continue over email.

• donrueter
    donrueter
    Community Member
    Options

Impatient me. Apparently I have two support IDs active: #WCV-66528-152 and #DSS-81179-652.

• donrueter
    donrueter
    Community Member
    Options

And my apologies. Apparently you responded to one of my requests, but it got trapped in my spam filter.

• wrglickman
    wrglickman
    Community Member
    Options

I also have been using 1Password since day 1 on both of my iMacs. I have been syncing using Dropbox, and it has always worked great.

In attempting to upgrade to 1Password 7, I subscribed for a membership (activated June 11) and I am faced with a signin screen that wants my email address, secret key, and master password. I get the same screen when I go to my.1password.com. 1Password 7 is running on iMac One, and the Emergency Kit tells me my email address and secret key. I know the master password, and it is working fine to unlock 1Password. But when I enter those three items, the system fails to sign me in, telling me "Cannot sign in. Your email address, Secret Key, or Master Password is incorrect."

• donrueter
    donrueter
    Community Member
    Options

WRG, you and I are living parallel lives!

• tiredofcomputers
    tiredofcomputers
    Community Member
    Options

I'm reading this thread because it's happening to me also. Longtime subsciber. Got the email about 7. Downloaded, found code screen on my iphone, held up to imac camera. It finds my info, autofills the boxes, then says they don't match. Match what? It's coming directly from the open app on my phone. Help. So frustrating.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi @wrglickman

Do you have a Primary vault in 1Password? You can check in 1Password > Settings > All Vaults. If you do then the error you’re getting is because you’re entering the Master Password for the Primary vault, which will unlock 1Password, but it is not the Master Password for your membership account. Do you have a login item saved in 1Password for 1Password.com?

Ben

ref: PBL-95247-611

• Ben
    Options

@tiredofcomputers

Could you please check if you have a Primary vault on your iPhone? On iOS you can check within 1Password under Settings > Vaults.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@donrueter

It looks like Sarah has got you fixed up but if you need further assistance please respond to her via email.

Thanks.

Ben

• donrueter
    donrueter
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Ben. We have determined that my master login password is different from my master encryption password. I'm writing Sarah now to see if we can get this ironed out today.

hopeful

• Ben
    Options

Great. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.