Avoiding all cloud Sync

agentrin
agentrin
Community Member

Long story short, any and all forms of cloud syncing has to be avoided if my company is to allow me to use any password management tool. No change on the policy is possible. I remember once it was possible to sync manually via iTunes, and while I found those controls still exist in some form in iTunes 12.7.9.5, when I tell iTunes to sync a local vault I've created in 1Password, it doesn't show on the app on the iOS device. I've made sure the iOS device is running the unlocked pro version. What am I doing wrong?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: manual

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@agentrin: The closest thing to "manual" sync you're going to get is WLAN Server, which will work between your Mac and iPhone. But I'd be curious about the specifics of the "cloud" policy, since I can't imagine the company doesn't use email — and 1Password is infinitely more secure than email, as it is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. Maybe there's a way we can help. :)

• agentrin
    agentrin
    Community Member

Its due to a policy @brenty nothing more. You are preaching to the choir regarding the benefits and security that cloud sync provides now, but if we were ever audited it would not matter what protocols 1Password uses, or that access to said cloud storage I have protected by TFA to a device that never leaves my side. But if I want to carry that vault with me, I need to do a manual sync. I'll look at the WLAN server option, but there really is no more directly having 1Password sync to the phone via iTunes?!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Its due to a policy @brenty nothing more. You are preaching to the choir regarding the benefits and security that cloud sync provides now, but if we were ever audited it would not matter what protocols 1Password uses, or that access to said cloud storage I have protected by TFA to a device that never leaves my side. But if I want to carry that vault with me, I need to do a manual sync.

@agentrin: Fair enough. I'd encourage you to reach out to our business team with the details though at business@1password.com

I know we hear from a lot of companies with similar policies, but they often boil down to location, or specific certifications, and we're happy to accommodate whenever possible. :)

I'll look at the WLAN server option, but there really is no more directly having 1Password sync to the phone via iTunes?!

There never was such a feature. 1Password for iOS has a backup/restore feature that utilizes iTunes file sharing, but it isn't designed for this purpose and isn't something we'd recommend for "syncing" data.

This discussion has been closed.