1Password mini, why is it so difficult? Questions and feedback.

Options
DiederikK
DiederikK
Community Member

Hi Agilebits,

I've been using 1password for over a year now and just recently started to instruct my parents on using your service too, seeing as they are getting older and start forgetting all their passwords. They dont understand how to work with every program, so I want to make sure that they know how to add and find their passwords so that they'll actually get used to work with 1P. Upon trying to explain some things to them i've come across multiple obstacles within your program that even I dont understand why its so freakin difficult, so that means they will never understand it.

I'm really frustrated because i was hoping this program would help me & them forever with our passwords but there are so many things that make 1password so difficult to understand.

I think your program should especially be super easy to use and super understandable and automate as much of the password saving and recovering process as it can. I did not check all the discussions because i dont have the time and i guess that when i have to check a forum it's already a loss on the part of being an easy to use and understandable program.

With that being said i have a couple of questions (which i hope you can also see as feedback on software usage, because we all want to see the software succeed in being the best and easy to use):

1. Why cant I easily add a new login/item when i use 1password mini (on mac)? i get that you can add a new login from the site that you're on, but why isn't it possible too just save a new item there and then? AKA this means i have to instruct my parents to sometimes use password mini (when they're on a site and creating a new account, to automatically save that login) BUT when they just want to add a new login for something else they have to go to the normal program. Thats too difficult for them!

2. I sometimes have multiple different items/logins for the same site, sometimes its just a bs login with wrong information, that it still seems to save automatically. That way i have to clean my login items every once in a while. It's no problem for me (just irratating my ADD) but my arents wouldnt know what to use..

3. Why isnt there an option to save a login to your personal as well as shared fault? I mean, i sometimes save logins to shared, just so my parents can see and use them too. BUT i dont want to look at All Vaults as default because then i would see all kinds of unnecesary logins from my parents too. I just want to see all the logins i added, so in shared as well as in personal. More so: I want to make a couple of vaults for myself, one for personal, one for dj stuff, and one for every business project. Why cant i see them (as well as my shared) as a group? Like in all vaults (except i dont want to see all the shared ones by my parents).. how do i do this?

I get this one might be easier if my parents wouldnt share all their logins and instead i would just log into their account, but I think its a hassle and could be an option to look at. Next to that, it still would be cool if you could group certain vaults, but maybe that would make it more difficult.

1. Why, when i open 1P Mini, cant i see all my logins. I can click on a categorie and it shows me my logins, but i guess it would be nicer to by default see all the items in my vaults. Sometimes i just browse for stuff and i dont like using the search option because i cant come up with the name for that what im searching for. It's easier visually to just see all and search. And thats with everything within 1P mini. I would really like 1P mini to be like 1P the program, but with easier acces. I really dont know what the benefit of 1P mini is right now, it could be more.

2. This has been the most frustrating, to say the least. Whenever I open 1P mini to search for a item, I click on it to open the item. Instead this shortcuts me to the site and logs in. Thats not what I want!!

EDIT: I see you just changed it. but still. You have to click the little arrow on the side or when you click anywhere else it shortcuts. This is one of the shittiest things about 1P. What I want is that when I click on it, just give me an optionmenu to;
1. automatically fill in password, 2. see the information about that item, or 3. shortcut to the site and login. Either that or just show the information. I never want to shortcut and that the main reason people use 1P mini is to shortcut to sites. Please fix this or make an option to change this because it has happened so many times and it also shuts down 1password mini so i have to do all kinds of things when i misclick. PLUS this is not easy to understand for older people, when they're just looking for the information.

With all this being said, I think 1P mini is the most flawed thing about 1P, and i Hope you can give me some answers as well as to see this as feedback for future updates. As I am i guy who loves automation done well and easy + as someone who's trying to make it understandable for people who aren't that tech savvy.

Kind Regards,

Diederik

1Password Version: 7.0.4.
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.3
Sync Type: iCloud, also the website

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @DiederikK! Thanks so much for the detailed run-down of your perceptions as a user. We greatly appreciate it when users take the time to do this; if you've been with us only a year then you may not know that many of the features and workflows you see in 1Password today have come at least in part from suggestions from the user community. So, thanks for being willing to take some of your time to be a part of that tradition.

I think your program should especially be super easy to use and super understandable and automate as much of the password saving and recovering process as it can. I did not check all the discussions because i dont have the time and i guess that when i have to check a forum it's already a loss on the part of being an easy to use and understandable program.

We think 1Password should be as easy-to-understand and use as possible also, and a great deal of thought and effort goes into making it that way as much as possible. We don't always get it right, of course, which is why feedback is so valuable -- but also, what's simple and clear for one person or one type of user may not be for others. And due to its nature as a security app, 1Password will always have a bit of a learning curve, especially for users who are coming from not having used a password manager previously.

Why cant I easily add a new login/item when i use 1password mini (on mac)?

If you know that you can save a new Login item for the page your browser is actually on, then I'm not sure what you're referring to here. Do you mean creating a Login item for a completely different site other than the current page? If so, the main reason for that is because, unlike every other type of record that can be created in 1Password (Passport, Credit Card, etc), Logins should not be created by clicking a plus button and manually adding the data. That's because each login page is different; there are often hidden fields, and other quirks to a particular login page. When you fill your credentials directly into the site and allow 1Password's engine to offer to save it for you, it captures all of that extra data. Often, this is the difference between a Login item working, and not. All other item types can and should be created by tapping the plus button and manually entering data. But Logins are unique in this way.

I sometimes have multiple different items/logins for the same site, sometimes its just a bs login with wrong information, that it still seems to save automatically.

1Password should never save a login item for you without offering you the dialogue box first (which you can decline, if it's "bs data" you're entering). What WILL get saved automatically, to prevent data loss, will be any password you generate using 1Password's Password Generator. If you're finding you have multiple saved passwords, you can delete them if you wish, or transfer them to a separate vault you create to archive items. Can you clarify this one for me? Are you really getting actual Login items saved that you did not specifically ask to have saved?

Why isnt there an option to save a login to your personal as well as shared fault?

There is, in two main ways. The first is by choosing the default Vault for Saving in Preferences > Vaults:

The second way, because we know you may not want to save everything to the same vault, even if you tend to prefer one over the other most of the time, is to select the vault to save Logins into on each dialogue box for saving. When 1Password offers you the Save dialogue, you can select the vault using the drop-down menu in the dialogue box itself. You can even tell 1Password you want to update an existing record it has saved, instead of saving a new one -- both those options are shown here:

BUT i dont want to look at All Vaults as default because then i would see all kinds of unnecesary logins from my parents too.

Not if you deselect your parents' vaults from the All Vaults view. In the first screenshot above, see the Show in All Vaults dialogue? Vaults are added here by default, but you can UN-check any you don't want to be included in the All Vaults view.

Why, when i open 1P Mini, cant i see all my logins. I can click on a categorie and it shows me my logins, but i guess it would be nicer to by default see all the items in my vaults.

1Password mini has a different purpose than the main window of the main app. The purpose of 1Password mini is to help you find things quickly and use them - most often in browsers, but also in other apps, copy/paste, etc. The main app, by contrast, has a much larger window that's suitable for displaying larger amounts of data, organizing, tagging, etc. Obviously, there's a significant amount of overlap between the two -- much of what can be done in one can also be done in the other -- but we don't show you EVERYTHING in the mini because the window is sufficiently small (to be useful in the browser and elsewhere) that it can't really display everything, at least not . in a way that's easily viewable. There's also search and - as you mentioned - the ability to click the Logins item if you want to see all your Logins. As your edit says, we did in fact make the mini in 1Password 7 much more like the main app -- you're now able to do a lot more with it. We'll certainly take your feedback regarding mini usability into account as we release updates to version 7; thanks again for taking the time to share your ideas with us, and for being a 1Password user. :)

This discussion has been closed.