Masterpassword issues

amberlily
amberlily
Community Member

I have entered my secret key and my master password, but I cannot get into my account. The message says that my master password is incorrect, but that is not true, according to my emergency kit. I have logged into my account and it said there was an error so i logged back out and retried my masterpassword and i couldnt log in again it said it was wrong...but i checked my masterpassword whilst inside my vault and it is correct.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: ICloud
Referrer: forum-search:I have entered my secret key and my master password, but I cannot get into my account. The message says that my master password is incorrect, but that is not true, according to my emergency kit. Can you help me, please.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

@amberlily: Thanks for reaching out! I apologize if I'm jumping to conclusions here, but since you mentioned you're syncing with iCloud, I'm tempted to wager that you might not have those things at all. It sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but you will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device -- such as iCloud -- or create a new vault.

However, if you do have a 1Password.com account, you'll need to use all the correct account credentials: email address, sign in address, Secret Key, and Master Password. If any of these are wrong, you will not be able to sign in. And an Emergency Kit is only as good as how up to date it is. If you've made changes to your account, you may have a different sign in address, for example. Also, if you've used 1Password with a local vault at some point, you may have also used a different Master Password for that, which could cause some confusion.

Ultimately we don't know your Secret Key or Master Password though, so we can only give suggestions. You're the only one who could possibly know, so be sure to try anything you might have used. There's no penalty for doing so, and you will not be successful unless you enter them correctly. Let me know what you find.

ref: QBL-93455-486

This discussion has been closed.