Trouble with filling on Santander Bank and United Bank

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Adding a field to a login.

Comments

• tim_BeM
    tim_BeM
    Community Member
    Options

I have this same issue when I login to Santander Bank (https://www.santanderbank.com/us/business/bob-login). I followed the instructions, but the user ID still populates in the Org ID. Any suggestions?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tim_BeM,

After you save a new Login item using the steps outlined on our support page How to save a Login manually in your browser, by any chance are you then updating the Login item to also include the password which I assume is required in some manner on the next step. It's that updating that is causing the breakage. A single Login item can fill 3+ fields on a single page or simple multi-page sign-in forms where you're asked for just a username on the first page and the password on the next.

It may be possible to adapt a Login item that works across both pages but a lot will depend on whether 1Password is capable of filling the second page or if Santander adopt some sort of weird approach where you can't use 1Password to fill the password directly anyway - financial institutes seem to have the weirdest sign-in processes. If 1Password can fill any fields on the second page using the same Login item that is failing to fill that first step then it's possible I can propose a tweak that might help.

• tim_BeM
    tim_BeM
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @littlebobbytables. It did create a login for both the Org ID and User ID when I did not go to the next page and have it add the password. What should I do next to try to add the password to the same Login entry?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tim_BeM,

What I need your help in learning is whether 1Password fills the password field correctly when you follow the steps on our support page Sign in to websites with username and password split across multiple pages. This will break filling of the first page but it's an important clue as to whether we can get everything working with a single Login item or not.

• tim_BeM
    tim_BeM
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables,

I just followed the instructions. It did break the filling on the first page, but it does fill in the password on the second page and will log in once the password is filled in.

Thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @tim_BeM,

Thank you :smile: Let's see if this works.

1. Save this 1PIF (1Password Interchange Format) file to your Desktop.
    2. If you're using 1Password for Mac, drag the 1PIF file to the 1Password icon in the macOS dock. If you're using 1Password for Windows use the menu option File > Import... and follow the prompts.
    3. Select the imported item and edit it.
    4. Click the show web form details button or the Show Saved Form Details button, which you will see will depend on the version of 1Password.
    5. You should see three fields, replace the placeholder text of each with your real details.
    6. Save.

Do you find this customised Login item correctly fills the two fields on the first page whilst also filling the password on the second page?

• tim_BeM
    tim_BeM
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @littlebobbytables. I followed the steps. The first two fields fill correctly. I then have to hit submit. It moves to the second page, but no password is entered. Bummer!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tim_BeM: To be clear, 1Password only ever takes an action on a webpage if you tell it too. So it's quite expected and by design that nothing happens when the new page is loaded; you'd need to tell 1Password to fill there either by clicking the icon or pressing the keyboard shortcut, ⌘ \. Does that work for you?

• tim_BeM
    tim_BeM
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Yes, that works if I tell it to fill. Thank you! How do I replicate this for a few other logins that are the same way? Where do I get the 1PIF file that @littlebobbytables sent me?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018
    Options

@tim_BeM: Glad that helped! A 1PIF isn't necessary usually, and login issues are be on a case-by-case basis anyway since websites are so different. In many cases manually saving a new login for the site will allow 1Password to save additional information from the form to fill better. Just try these steps to save the login manually:

1. Navigate to the website
    2. Enter your login credentials
    3. Click the 'keyhole' icon to bring up the extension
    4. Click the 'gear' icon for Settings
    5. Click Save New Login
    6. Give it a name and Save
    7. Close the webpage and select your new login from the extension to have 1Password Go & Fill
    8. Submit the form manually if you have autosubmit disabled

I hope this helps. If you're still having trouble, be sure to let us know the URL so we can look into it.

• tim_BeM
    tim_BeM
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I just tried doing this with another login. I followed your instructions and it worked. What is the best way to add the password to the login credentials when the password is input on the page after the initial info is entered? The website is for United Bank. https://ub.ebanking-services.com/EamWeb/account/login.aspx?appId=beb&brand=ub

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tim_BeM: Unfortunately I can only guess since I cannot access a second page there, but in 1Password for Mac you may be able to edit the item to add the password to a "password" field in the web form details. You could also try just adding the password to the default "password" field at the top, but I suspect that will not work the way you want. Probably best either way to duplicate the item first before making changes in case it doesn't work the way you want. Otherwise you'll need to save a separate login item for the second page:

Sign in to websites with username and password split across multiple pages

Either way, let me know how it turns out. :)

• tim_BeM
    tim_BeM
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I tried adding the password using both of the methods you suggest. Ultimately, it only works when I have a second login for the second page. Thanks for all your help.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tim_BeM,

Quick question, is United Bank the same scenario as Santander, does the password fill and it's about getting the first screen to work? If it is then I can take a look.

• tim_BeM
    tim_BeM
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables The first screen is working until I add the password in either of the two ways that @brenty suggested three posts above. Once I add the password in either way it breaks the first page so I was resigned to using two logins.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @tim_BeM,

The first page breaking is a given, but does the password page fill even if you can't fill the first?

• tim_BeM
    tim_BeM
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables Yes, the password will fill in on the second page. I tried it adding the password in both ways and both times it worked.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @tim_BeM,

That's the detail I needed, thank you :smile:

Can you try the steps I listed before for Santander but this time use this 1PIF file. It's the same concept but adapted for this particular site.

• tim_BeM
    tim_BeM
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables That worked! How do I create those 1PIF files so I can create one login for multiple pages?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @tim_BeM,

It does require a degree of comfort with viewing the HTML of a page but if that's something you feel quite happy with then here's how I created those Login items.

The first important step is to create the Login item from inside the main 1Password window. Login items created within the browser are flagged in a special way so this trick doesn't work for those. Add the title username, password and URL. You should find that if you add them in that order that you now have a show web form details or in the case of 1Password 7 for Mac Show Saved Form Details button. Click it. Here's where understanding the HTML of the page kicks in. Inspect the input field for the username. The page the browser brings up should have the input field HTML highlighted. Ideally you want the ID attribute but if it looks like it's randomly generated at all then the name attribute or at a pinch a label will do the trick. Set the label for the field in the Login item to the attribute of the field. You will also want to make sure the field types match. Text fields are common but sometimes a site will use the email type instead. For the other field on the first page you want 1Password to fill you will need to add a new field in the Login item just like I did for those examples.

As a test, you could try reproducing a Login item for one of these two sites, see if your end result matches what is stored in the 1PIF and of course if you find a site that seems to be tricky let me know.

From all of this you can see it's pretty much a power user feature. We could try to expose it a bit more but the fact that it relies on picking an attribute with a constant value we can work off which itself requires being willing to look at the underlying HTML means it's not something we'd expect all our users to have to get to grips with.

• tim_BeM
    tim_BeM
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables Thanks! I'll try to create my own for United and see how it goes.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.