Weird 1Password extension behaviour

Options
andy_vdg
andy_vdg
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Experiencing very strange behaviour with the 1Password extension in Chrome.
My toolbar has following extensions:
1st is 1Password, the OneNote then SessionBuddy etc.
Frequently I clicked on 1Password but Session Buddy would open. Now first I thought I must have miss-clicked.
However, I've just done in repeatedly and it definitely is an issue with 1Password.
Whenever I click on the icon I can see the mouse pointer jump to the right and click session buddy.
I've made a quick screen capture - unfortunately, the screen recorder replaces the mouse so you can't see the actual jump of the mouse in the video although you can make out the session buddy icon is being clicked. You can also see Session Buddy opening.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y3g754hrtqqzq01/2018-05-02_1Passwordclick1.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sp77t0qkl4brbp7/2018-05-02_1Passwordclick2.mp4?dl=0

If I hide the session buddy icon it then proceeds to open OneNote... so it seems to just jump a few pixels to the right and click.
Restarting Chrome does not fix this issue.

1Password Version: 7.0.543
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@andy_vdg: If you disable "Session Buddy" and other extensions, does that change the behaviour? I'm not able to reproduce this here, but I don't use a bunch of 3rd party extensions with 1Password since I don't want them to be able to access the information I save and fill in on webpages with 1Password. Let me know what you find!

• andy_vdg
    andy_vdg
    Community Member
    Options

When I turn off all extensions it still does it.
    However now it clicks on the profile switcher:

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @andy_vdg,

Do you have 1Password 4 installed by any chance? Check your Control Panel or Apps and Settings to make sure 1Password 4 is not installed.

If it is, uninstall it and reboot, see if 1Password 7 now works better.

• andy_vdg
    andy_vdg
    Community Member
    Options

No just 1Password 7. I have also installed the Beta Chrome extension but it has the same problem.

• @andy_vdg: Do you happen to have more than one monitor hooked up to this PC? Bit of a stretch at the moment, but I recently ran into an issue with clicks being similarly misregistered by 1Password X in Chrome, so I'm wondering if a similar issue might be at the root of your trouble. If you do have more than one monitor, could you let me know what scaling each is set to in Windows settings? If you open Start and type "Scaling", Windows will find the proper settings option for you so you can open it up from the top of your search results and take a peek. Thanks! :chuffed:

• andy_vdg
    andy_vdg
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I do have multiple monitors and the thought of DPI scaling did cross my mind as well. Running a Surface Pro - at work with 3 external screens and at home with one external screen. DPI scaling on the surface screen is at 150% on the other screens it's off.
    If I disconnect the screens and only run off my Surface screen the behaviour improves. I can still see the mouse jump but it doesn't click anymore. It seems to be that the mouse position jumps to the left side of the 1Password mini window and then back to it's original position. When I set my DPI scaling on the surface to 100% the behaviour returns.
    It actually get's worse because it now just clicks in place. Here's a screen recording:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9bj49pbb5tq54q6/2018-05-05_1Passwordclick3.mp4?dl=0
    I promise I only clicked once and let go of the mouse... all clicks after that just happen automatically.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@andy_vdg: Given that this doesn't seem to be a mere display issue, I think we need to be looking more at input instead. Do you have 3rd party mouse software or other input methods that could be causing a strange interaction like this? I know I've seen some weird things with gaming stuff, like profile software and others. The last I recall was something from Razer. Let me know.

• andy_vdg
    andy_vdg
    Community Member
    Options

Nope nothing really. Using a standard Microsoft Sculpt keyboard and mouse or the Microsoft Type Cover.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@andy_vdg: Thanks for letting me know! Do you experience this only when using multiple displays, or also with one? Additionally, is it happening every time you interact with the browser extension, or just in some cases? We're working on some changes that may help with some multiple display issues, but I'm not clear if that's the only case you're having trouble.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @andy_vdg,

Stay for the next beta update, we have an idea and we may have a better fix that works better.

• andy_vdg
    andy_vdg
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty - if you read my post from the 5th I go into a bit of detail around single screen and DPI scaling. To summarize - just using the surface screen by itself is slightly better as it doesn't seem to click. If I change DPI scaling back down to 100% the behaviour returns.
    @MikeT - I'll wait for the next beta update thanks.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @andy_vdg,

Unfortunately, we found some issues when testing the fixes, so we'll be looking into something else. It may not be fixed in the next update exactly.

• andy_vdg
    andy_vdg
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT - no worries. It's in beta so I expect some issues ;-)

• MikeT
    Options

Thanks for your understanding. :)

• andy_vdg
    andy_vdg
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

This has become much better with later releases of the extension and 1Password X actually get's rid of the issue altogether.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@andy_vdg: Thanks for following up! Just to clarify: it makes sense that it wouldn't happen with 1Password X, as it's a self-contained extension that runs only within the browser itself; has the problem gone away for your completely with the latest release of 1Password for Windows, or are you still having some difficulty?

• andy_vdg
    andy_vdg
    Community Member
    Options

Yep - it's gone away with one of the last releases of 1Password for Windows. Was using that for the last few weeks before I switched to 1Password X yesterday.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Wooooo! Thanks so much for letting me know! I know that was giving you a lot of trouble, and it's been hard for us to track down too. Even if you're not using the desktop extension right now, it's good to know that you could at any time if you wanted to without having to worry about that anymore. Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.