1Password isn't able to show anything with update channel also empty [Connection problem]

This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password 7 update problem.

Comments

• kurtd
    kurtd
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Have you figured this out yet? I'm having the same issue. The app says zero vaults even though it's connected to a cloud account and the update channel drop down is blank as shown in the above screen shots. I have another computer on the same network with the same av software and that computer is fine. Closing the av software didn't help.

• Hi @kurtd,

Thanks for writing in. We can't share the details about a private ticket but it wasn't an issue within 1Password, it was a general interference with 1Password's ability to connect to our 1Password.com site.

The reason the update channel is empty is because we get that data on demand via 1Password.com that hosts the update information. If you can't see it, means your connection to 1Password.com is being blocked.

Note that closing AV doesn't disable them fully. First, can you check to make sure none of your anti-malware solution and including VPN, proxy, and so on are not set to block any secured connections to 1Password.com?

Do you use any VPN or proxy client specifically?

• kurtd
    kurtd
    Community Member

Is there any place where I can see the sync status or error to confirm it's not connecting to 1Password.com? What should I be looking for in the 1password log or console? Also, if I do make changes to my system, I don't see any option in 1Password to download my vaults or to initiate a sync so how can I confirm if any changes help or not, maybe just exit and re-open the app?

• Hi @kurtd,

Normally, if 1Password can't connect to 1Password.com, it'd show the cloud icon on the title bar.

1Password automatically performs a sync every time you unlock, restart the app, and/or even if the initial sync fails, it has a fallback of doing a full sync every hour until it has a successful sync call.

You'd see a sync error code in the 1Password console when there's a sync.

Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• kurtd
    kurtd
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

I sent in the diag report. I didn't see a cloud icon in the title bar. I decided to use it with dropbox for now and that vault is working fine.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kurtd,

Thank you for the report! We will take a look and get back to you via email as soon as possible. Thanks again! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

ref: THV-73416-317

• kurtd
    kurtd
    Community Member

Strangely, I had this issue on another computer but this time, the vaults showed up after 30 minutes. I did try a couple things like keeping Trend Micro closed and setting edge as the default browser but still nothing until after 30 minutes. On the original computer, I checked it after a couple days and the vaults had showed up so it seems like it fixed itself somehow.

• Hi @kurtd,

See if you can review the history in TrendMicro's logs if it blocked anything related to 1Password.com. We haven't seen it block 1Password like this before but an aggressive firewall can certainly do this. It's odd that it took 30 minutes to show up, though. I would still love to see your diagnostics report if you can send that in, so we can see why it would take 30 minutes.

One thing, please do try turn TrendMicro back on both computers and test the sync, see if they're syncing in both directions now.

• kurtd
    kurtd
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

I did check Trend logs and didn't see anything but it does have a web filter so who knows.

I sent in the diagnostic report to support anyway even though it's working at the moment. I tested syncing both ways from win to cloud and cloud to windows and it was quick both times.

I set up a 3rd computer on another account and it also took 30 minutes or so for the vaults to show up.

• MikeT
    edited June 2018

Hi @kurtd,

I just saw your logs and all I can say is this: 😱😱😱

I saw a lot of network logs like this:

Network request #837 failed in 7ms, status NameResolutionFailure (The remote name could not be resolved: 'c.1password.com')
    Network request #838 failed in 24ms, status NameResolutionFailure (The remote name could not be resolved: 'c.1password.com')
    network is down
    network configured in 1,601,312ms

It says that your computer couldn't figure out where c.1Password.com is, usually a DNS issue but it can be a proxy issue as well.

It also says that eventually in 30 minutes, it reconfigured your network to work, which fits what you said.

However, that isn't the worst part. I saw this:

network unavailable or not ready time: 2,496ms
    network configured in 74,765,764ms

20 hours to reconfigure the network after the network went down......

We've never seen anything like this, I think you have the record at 20 hours but I also think you had longer somewhere else. I stopped reading further because it was clear what the problem is and I didn't want to look at it anymore. Our engineering team looked at this and went 😱 too and we decided we need to start enforcing a max timeout to kill these requests at reasonable levels, usually it is not needed but in your case, we need it.

However, having a reasonable timeout isn't going to help with your case. It shows clearly that there's something really odd with your network setup that 1Password couldn't work out on its own. You don't use a VPN or proxy, or some kind of filtering tool in your network beside TrendMicro tool? This smells like a really bad configuration with the network that relates to the domain 1Password.com on your end.

ref: THV-73416-317

• kurtd
    kurtd
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

I'm now on a different computer at a different site with a similar set up. I checked the diag report and I do see this but not the name resolution log.: network configured in 1,601,293ms

I'm not sure what that really means because there's close to 100 people here and none of them complain of network issues. I do have Trend on both computers and both sites use opendns plus an advanced hardware firewall. The firewall does have a web filter \ https proxy. I checked the firewall logs and didn't see anything being blocked but if you have a list of domains, I could add them to the exception lists.

• HI @kurtd,

network configured in 1,601,293ms

It means it took 1Password 30 minutes before it can get a usable network data to route your 1Password data to 1Password.com.

if you have a list of domains, I could add them to the exception lists.

There's only one domain, 1Password.com.

This discussion has been closed.