Mac stolen can I remotely delete password via iCloud?

netsmith
netsmith
Community Member

Man on a moped literally drove by and grabbed it off the table in front of me. Is it possible to remotely delete /lock 1Password if I had it syncing with iPhone via iCloud?

Comments

• Hi @netsmith

I’m really sorry to hear about your Mac! This guide from Apple may help:

If your Mac is lost or stolen - Apple Support

Ben

• netsmith
    netsmith
    Community Member

Thanks been through those steps but was really wondering if there was anything specific I could do with 1Password v6?

• rickfillion
    edited June 2018

Hi @netsmith,

I can't imagine how something like this must feel. How can people be such jerks? Unfortunately in this case there's nothing specific that can be done for 1Password. I hope that either 1Password was locked, or you had your auto-lock settings in 1Password for Mac such that 1Password locked itself at one point before the thief could unlock the Mac.

Assuming your Master Password is strong and 1Password is locked, you shouldn't need to worry. If there's any concern there then I would recommend:

• Disconnecting all devices from sync via iCloud
    • Deleting the data that's in the iCloud sync vault
    • Changing your Master Password
    • Reconfiguring sync via iCloud
    • Reconnecting all devices to it

That will put a new vault into iCloud with different encryption keys and a different Master Password. You could then look at changing the passwords for items in your vault.

Rick

• btownguy
    btownguy
    Community Member

If you're using a 1Password.com subscription, I'd login to the 1Password.com website and delete that Mac from the list of authorized devices. Just as a precaution.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It sounds like they were using iCloud. But either way, the important thing is that we've built 1Password with the assumption that some jerk will get our devices at some point, and it has to stand up to attack. Everything is encrypted using a Master Password that nobody knows but us. So while it's awful when stuff like this happens, 1Password is one less thing we need to worry about.

And really, Moped Jerk is just going to sell the phone anyway. These aren't exactly criminal masterminds we're dealing with...but 1Password is designed to protect against those too.

This discussion has been closed.