Autogenerate passwords in Android app

Options
arjunpola
arjunpola
Community Member

I am curious to know if its possible to autogenerate passwords for the app while creating an account or while changing existing password in the app?

If so, do we need to do anything differently to enable that feature in our apps?

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@arjunpola: Oh how glad I am you asked! With Android 8, Google introduced some really cool tools we can use in the new Android Autofill APIs. This allows 1Password to offer its services at the OS level to any other app that supports Android Autofill and provides "hints" for how 1Password can interact with it. So that's really cool. But actually Google also introduced OpenYOLO at the same time, which works on older OSes too; it's just a matter of individual apps supporting it. This is where the real magic happens, so your users can have 1Password setup their login without having to make a round trip between apps. Check it out:

Integrate 1Password into your Android apps

And I'll ask the development team to follow up here if you have any questions about it as well. :)

• arjunpola
    arjunpola
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

@brenty This is fantastic. I did come across OpenYOLO but has some issues when I tried adding it to the app. Regardless, I feel now I want to solve the issue only for Android O and above and not worry much about older devices.

And yes I also did see the Autofill document and did checkout the hints, but I when I tried the hints to generate a new password, it did not work. It would suggest me to fill existing password but the generation would not work. Is that possible just by adding hints of do I have to use OpenYOLO Api's to be able to generate new passwords?

Thank You so much for providing the links and needed assistance :)

• peri
    Options

I'm glad brenty was able to help out! Feel free to email any issues you had regarding OpenYOLO to support+android@1password.com. That way our developers can discuss it with you.

Let us know if you need anything else!

This discussion has been closed.