Fake Firefox Add-On?

Options
Aguirre
Aguirre
Community Member

Hi there. I reinstalled Firefox 60.0.2 today and had to reinstall the 1Password add-on. I had 1Password 6.8.8 running already and went to the 1Passsword add-on via the Firefox add-on page from within the Firefox browser.

All seemed ok but the icon that appeared on Firefox's tool bar looked different than what I am used to. I do not have a screen shot of it. When I clicked on this icon in the Firefox upper window it opened a tab with a blank page, I tried this a couple of times. I quit 1Password Mac and went back to Firefox and clicked this icon again. Againh, it just opened a new tab on a blank Firefox page.

I then deleted this Add-On from within Firefox. I then reopened 6.8.8 Mac and went to the Install Browser Extensions choice from within 1Password. i installed the add-on and then when pressing the resulting now-normal-looking icon in Firefox, the usually expected password box opened up and all worked as expected.

The unusual Firefox 1Password icon which initially appeared in Firefox's upper bar was the usual 1Passwrord keyhole but had a kind of wifi radio signal or something with it. I have never seen this before.

What do you think? Was this a hack of some kind?

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Aguirre

The only extension we offer in the Mozilla Extension Gallery is 1Password X, which requires a 1Password membership:

1Password X – Password Manager – Add-ons for Firefox

When you click on the 1Password X icon, if you have not yet added any membership accounts, it will take you to the 1Password.com sign in page. Perhaps this page is blocked, or otherwise unable to load on your computer? In any event, from the way you’ve described your setup, it doesn’t sound like you are using a 1Password membership, and as such 1Password X would not be the right solution for you. Instead you would want to use our traditional browser extensions, which can be downloaded here:

Download for Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, Chrome, Linux | 1Password

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.