Sync Issues between iOS 1Password web account

thughes26
thughes26
Community Member

Hi,

A few months back (or more) I created a 1Password web account and use this service on my Mac, iPhone and the Chrome browser extension. While using the extension, I've noticed that I have multiple versions of accounts listed when looking at All Vaults. Originally, I was only syncing w/ iCloud and now have accounts listed in iCloud and on 1Password servers that are not in sync. The extension and iOS app still appear to be syncing through iCloud and I have no idea how to pull these accounts into sync without losing account information/updates that have been made and stored in iCloud.

Any suggestions or threads on how to consolidate vaults so that there is only one version of my account creds stored? Another question... I transitioned to 1Password web so that I could have a family account and share info with others in my family as opposed to providing my icloud account info. Is there another alternative I should consider?

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.8.8 (688001) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: 10.13.4 (17E202)
Sync Type: iCloud / 1Password web

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @thughes26

First off, as far as sharing with your Family goes, a Family membership is absolutely the way to go about doing it. You invite other in your family to the membership, they create their own accounts under the Family banner and then you can use the provided "Shared" vault, or other user-created vaults, to share items with them. Take a look at https://support.1password.com/family-sharing/ for more information.

The issue here is the multiple vaults, namely the "Primary" vault that you are syncing with iCloud. That vault is entirely separate from your 1Password membership and nothing that is in it will sync through the membership. Right now you have a few vaults, one is called "Primary", which is the one syncing with iCloud, and another other one is called either "Personal" or "Private", which is your membership vault. What you need to do is look through your vaults and compare them. If you find something that is in the "Primary" vault but not the membership vault, move it there.

Is this iCloud vault only linked to your iOS devices or is it on your Mac too?

• thughes26
    thughes26
    Community Member

Thanks Corey. Unfortunately, the iCloud vault is linked to iOS devices and my Mac as well. Is there a way to export the contents of a vault or to diff vaults? Seems like this is going to be a manual process on my end.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@thughes26 There are a couple of ways we can approach this. The first way is the automated way. This might result in you having duplicate entries in your membership vault but we do have a new tool that can likely take care of that.

The other way is the manual way, this involves looking through the iCloud vault manually, finding the items that are different and moving them over to the proper vault. This will likely take longer but gives you the opportunity to clean things up as well as less of a chance for duplicates.

Which one do you want to do?

• thughes26
    thughes26
    Community Member

Hey @Corey_C. Sorry for the delay in response, I was out of town. I'd like to merge into a single vault and then I'll go back in and clean out the duplicates. Could you provide instructions on how to do this? Once complete, I'll remove the iCloud vault and only use my 1Password web vault.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

No worries @thughes26 :)

Okay then, semi-automated way it is. What you want to do is open 1Password on the Mac and, using the vault switcher, switch over to your "Personal" or "Private" account vault (whatever it happens to be called for you). Next, in the menu bar, click Help>Tools>Migrate Primary to Account and follow the instructions to migrate the data in your iCloud vault to your membership. You will be given the option to delete said vault after migrating.

This will likely result in you having a whole bunch of duplicates in your vault. While making sure you still have your account vault selected, go back to the Help menu and select Tools>Clean Up Duplicate Items. There you will get a chance to either tag for further review or automatically delete duplicate items. Note that this tool is, by design, extremely conservative with what it considers a duplicate so it is only a starting point. There will need to be some manual sorting done by you.

This discussion has been closed.