Bulk edit vault contents & Template question

nikgreen
nikgreen
Community Member

Hi

I've been a 1Password user since 2008 in a personal capacity. I'm now pushing and evaluating the Business option for our company (25+ users).

Currently using LastPass, but to be frank, it's ugly and limited.

Bulk Edit
Is there a method of bulk editing fields short of exporting to CSV and re-importing?

e.g We have a vault for customer FTP passwords to our FTP server. We are changing the FTP URL so would really like to be able to select all items in a vault (160+) and update. the URL without having to do individually, or export, delete, edit, reimport.

Also, using the import method would not allow us to reimport any custom fields and a default icon we use to identify the type of login. So would also want to be able to bulk apply a single icon to multiple records.

Templates
One of the primary motivators for ditching LastPass is the ability to create new templates. We envisage keeping all customer account details in 1Password in a custom template. This would replace our current flat file system and also allow auditing as to who used the password and when.

Again, LastPass limits one URL per record, so 1Password ability to associate multiple URLs in a record is key.

Creating the template is fine, so my question is, is there a way to apply and updated Template to existing records?

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: 1.7.3
OS Version: Windows 10 (1803)
Sync Type: Business

Comments

• Hi @nikgreen,

Good to see you trying out 1Password Business. I can try to answer these.

Is there a method of bulk editing fields short of exporting to CSV and re-importing?

There is not. Eventually I'd love for really advanced editing to be possible via our command-line tool, but it'd be nice if basic bulk editing was possible in our other apps as well.

So would also want to be able to bulk apply a single icon to multiple records.

That'd be a nice thing to be able to do.

Creating the template is fine, so my question is, is there a way to apply and updated Template to existing records?

There really isn't. Templates in 1Password are only meant for item creation. Once the item is created it lives mostly independent of the template. I'd love to understand what kind of changes you see yourself doing to the template? Is it mainly adding of fields? I'm wondering if maybe it'd be better to allow bulk editing to be able to do similar changes.

I'd also be curious to know if you'd consider something like a command-line tool that gave you access to raw JSON that you could edit to your heart's content as a viable way forward.

Rick

• nikgreen
    nikgreen
    Community Member

Hi Rick

Thanks for your answers.

With the Templates, we are looking to replace flat files (Word) with structured data fields. Our implementations install web-based server applications across several servers. So a record may contain logon for:

1. Remote Access (VPN/RDP)
      1. Server Access
      1. LDAP Access
      1. Service Account
      1. Framework console Access
      1. Database access

Lastly, we have the Web App Access where we may have an admin account and standard user account. These accessible via server address and load balanced address.

As we build new services into our apps, I can see the need to add other fields to existing customer records. We could add manually as we edit individual customers, however, this can mean different spellings/placement can creep in. Hence the desire to apply to master template and update all records associated with it..

Always happy to try JSON/command-line. I don't see this being a weekly occurrence, but possibly once or twice a year.

• Gotcha. Currently there'd be no great way of accomplishing this. But it's something we'll try to keep in mind for the future.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.