To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How can I restore my 1Password application as my old MacBook Pro finally died

Options
nufsun2
nufsun2
Community Member
edited November 2017 in Memberships

My MacBook Pro acquired in 2011 just crashed for good. I have a new Mac and want to recover the 1Password application and files from my failed Mac. I worked with Apple support and they were unable to get the old Mac to boot. Are there any options to recover? Can I simply download 1Password again (without charge?)?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nufsun2
    nufsun2
    Community Member
    Options

Please advise and thanks.

• Hey @nufsun2,

I'm sorry to hear about the crashed MacBook Pro! That is never fun :( Let's see what we can do.

If you have a 1Password.com subscription account, then you can simply download 1Password again and sign in with your credentials to download your data.

However, if you were using the standalone version of 1Password without a subscription account, things might be a little trickier to recover your data. Let me know if that's the case and we'll continue from there.

• nufsun2
    nufsun2
    Community Member
    Options

I’m using standalone version purchased through Apple Store

• Hi @nufsun2,

If you purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store, then you can simply re-download it from there. That will get you the app itself, but what's likely much more important for you is getting your old data back. The data is stored separately from the app itself, and getting one doesn't mean getting the other.

Do you remember what you were using to sync your data? iCloud? Dropbox? Did you have any backups of your old Mac?

Rick

• nufsun2
    nufsun2
    Community Member
    Options

I was using CrashPlan Home backup

• @nufsun2 : that's great. Did you do a restore from the CrashPlan data?

Rick

• nufsun2
    nufsun2
    Community Member
    Options

I was using CrashPlan Home backup

I will have to download app again then I’ll attempt a restore in CrashPlan. Do you know what file extensions I would look for in CrashPlan.

• @nufsun2 : 1Password automatically makes backups for you locally, so you should look for 1p4_zip files in the crashplan backup and restore from the latest backup that is shown.

Best of luck.

Rick

• nufsun2
    nufsun2
    Community Member
    Options

Once I recovered the application from the Apple Store I was able to locate the indicated files from the 1Password auto backups and have completely 'restored' my 1Password application and data. Thanks for the assistance. Greatly appreciated!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Rick and Meek, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that you were able to get your data from the backup. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• mrdunn
    mrdunn
    Community Member
    Options

"1Password automatically makes backups for you locally"

Hi Rick, my old MacBook Pro died too (but new one on its way) so I'm in a similar situation.

My backups are all done via Time Machine so when you say 1p4.zip is stored "locally" where is this is actually on a Mac backup?

Cheers,

Michael

• Ben
    Options

Hi @mrdunn

With 1Password 6 this depends on where you downloaded 1Password from. Mac App Store version:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/

AgileBits website version:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/

In 1Password 7 the location is the same regardless:

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data

I hope that helps!

Ben

• mrdunn
    mrdunn
    Community Member
    Options

"1Password automatically makes backups for you locally"

Hi Rick, my old MacBook Pro died too (but new one on its way) so I'm in a similar situation.

My backups are all done via Time Machine so when you say "locally" where is this is actually on a Mac backup?

Cheers,

Michael

• Ben
    Options

@mrdunn,

Please see my reply above. :)

Ben

• mrdunn
    mrdunn
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

Thanks for that. Unfortunately none of those paths exist in my HD backup.

I've looked at my backed up applications and I have 2 1Password versions: 1Password (V. 6.8.8) and 1Password6 (V.6.6.2). 1Password is the recent file.

Does this change things?

Michael

• mrdunn
    mrdunn
    Community Member
    Options

Also Ben, maybe I should add my MacBook Pro is from late 2008 and I've had to restore it from previous Backups a few times over the last few years.

Cheers,

Michael

• mrdunn
    mrdunn
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

I'm a bit confused with the feed here...

I got your first reply thank you which I replied to above.

But your second reply seems to have not acknowledged these replies.

Sorry for confusion.

Michael

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@mrdunn I am surprised that the files don't exist on your backup. Are you sure you are looking in the right place?

First of all, there are several Library folders, the one you need is the one inside your Home folder, not the one at the top level of your hard drive. To be explicit, on the backup drive, the path would be drivename/Users/yourname/Library/...

Second, on the internal hard drive, your own Library folder is hidden by default. I am not sure if it is also hidden On the backup drive.

Of course you may already know this, but many people do not.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018
    Options

@mrdunn: Indeed, macOS will hide the Library folder by default, so it can help to navigate there directly using ⌘ ⇧ G in Finder. Let us know what you find! Er. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

• mrdunn
    mrdunn
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Danco and Brent,

Thank you for your replies and input.

Here's a screen shot from my actual original HD that I've salvaged:

As you can see, there's no Library folder in that location!

Any suggestions?

• mrdunn
    mrdunn
    Community Member
    Options

I found something called data.1pif that I must've exported and it appears to be a 1password mini file. Does that sound hopeful?

I re-downloaded 1password to a temporary computer and tried opening that file but it would not accept my old password. So still a mystery

• Ben
    Options

@mrdunn

As brenty mentioned above the Library folder is hidden. You'll need to follow his instructions to access it. Open the michaeldunn folder just like you've done in the screenshot that you posted, and then press ⌘ ⇧ G. Type Library in the dialogue box and then click the "Go" button.

Ben

• mrdunn
    mrdunn
    Community Member
    Options

Bingo! Thanks guys for your incredible patience with this dumbo!

Latest 1p4_zip back-up located and now restored!

I'm aware of the hidden Library folder issue but I didn't realise those shortcuts worked on an extracted external Mac HD and so it didn't even occur to me to even try, until Ben had to "spoon-feed" me the instructions! So thank you Ben!

And thank you all.

Michael

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Ben, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that you're back up and running. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. Have a great weekend! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.