Can a "Closed" state be added for 1Pass objects? Logins, Credit Cards, Bank Accounts etc.

lsonnx
lsonnx
Community Member

Could support for a "Closed" state for 1Pass objects be added to a future version of 1Pass?

Currently Watchtower flags all of my Credit / Bank / Memberships / Passports that have expiration dates which have passed with the Watchtower icon since it deems these accounts to be "Expiring". It also flags all of my logins that are no longer active / where the password can no longer be reset as Compromised / Vulnerable / Reused / Weak / Inactive 2FA etc.. This is irritating as it clutters up my 1Pass account with Watchtower icons that I can't remove... since there are no addressable security problems with these objects.

(1) I do not want to delete my Credit / Bank / Memberships / Passports etc. that are closed
(2) I do not want to delete other 1Pass item types that are inactive (legacy accounts, site out of business etc.)
(3) I need a way to flag these objects as "Closed" so Watchtower ignores them

Currently I have a "Legacy" Vault to store these problem 1Pass items, but it only allows me to ignore them if I avoid using "All Vaults" mode.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @lsonnx,

In 1Password > Preferences > All Vaults you can uncheck the Legacy vault so that these items do not appear there. You can still see them by switching to that vault directly. Does that help?

Ben

• lsonnx
    lsonnx
    Community Member

That is extremely helpful - thank you!

It seems like having two versions of each of my vaults & each of my team members shared vaults isn't the most elegant solution, but I honestly can't think of a better one. Unchecking my "Legacy" vaults so the items don't appear in "All Vaults" is a huge improvement and reduces visible Watchtower flags (for unresolvable issues) while more generally allowing me to declutter vaults (and browser extension suggestions) without deleting objects.

Is it possible that the 1Pass team has considered adding functionality that would address this concern more... neatly though? Something between maintaining two versions of all of your vaults and just deleting old objects with unresolvable watchtower flags / never emptying the trash? I'm legitimately curious what the best theoretical solution here might be - even if it's not something 1Pass could implement for whatever reason.

• That is extremely helpful - thank you!

You’re welcome! :)

It seems like having two versions of each of my vaults & each of my team members shared vaults isn't the most elegant solution, but I honestly can't think of a better one

I agree... that sounds incredibly inefficient. Would you mind elaborating on why you’re doing that? What does having multiple copies of everything solve?

I’d also be interested to hear more about your reasoning for wanting to keep stale data. I have a vault full of it too, but I’m seriously considering deleting it as I don’t think I have ever referred to it since creating it.

Ben

• lsonnx
    lsonnx
    Community Member

To clarify - when I said "two versions of each of my vaults & each of my team members shared vaults" this wouldn't create any duplicate objects at all. It's just that for the "All Vaults" solution every vault effectively needs a separate related vault for storing "Closed" objects that should be excluded from "All Vaults".

As far as rationale for keeping stale data I can think of an almost endless list of reasons.

(1) Finish project for client - credential access disabled (stale) - start new project for client - credential access restored
    (2) Credit card used for travel booking ireplaced due to fraud (stale) - airline still demands full # of original payment method at check-in
    (3) More generally needing to reference # / open dates / close dates of expired or cancelled credit cards
    (4) WatchTower alerts if data related to "Closed" objects may be compromised (after business closure / acquisition etc.)

• To clarify - when I said "two versions of each of my vaults & each of my team members shared vaults" this wouldn't create any duplicate objects at all. It's just that for the "All Vaults" solution every vault effectively needs a separate related vault for storing "Closed" objects that should be excluded from "All Vaults".

Gotcha. Thanks.

As far as rationale for keeping stale data I can think of an almost endless list of reasons.

Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing. :)

Ben

• danemacmillan
    danemacmillan
    Community Member

I don't know if there are other existing feature requests, but this was the only discussion I found.

I'd very much like something like to a new "Category," such as "Closed" as OP suggested, or "Deprecated," "Legacy," or "Expired." Something along those lines.

I have numerous documents and account logins that are no longer pertinent or open, but are useful to reference during those moments you finally need them.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@danemacmillan - thanks for the suggestion. We're not currently considering any new Categories for 1Password, partly since any such things would have to be coded in four separate native applications (Windows, Mac, iOS and Android), as well as the 1password.com servers. The other reason we aren't adding new categories is that we get requests for everything from locker combinations to car registrations to insurance forms to...well, you name it. But the biggest reason we're not looking to add new categories just now is that we're actually working on custom categories in 1Password Business. In fact, it's already a beta feature there (though we haven't released it in the stable channel just yet, and it will probably be even longer until it filters down to other types of 1Password accounts). We're excited about the concept of user-template-able Categories, because it means that you could created a "Closed" category, while other could create any of those other requests I mentioned, on their own, setting everything up just the way they want to. That avoids us having to code categories for everything under the sun and the UI of 1Password to be filled with many items some people would love but most would find useless or not applicable. Hope that gives a little insight into where our thinking is headed on the matter. :)

This discussion has been closed.