Markdown in Secure Notes breaks display of PGP messages

Options
mhayes789
mhayes789
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Mac

PGP messages stored as Secure Notes do not display properly and cannot be decrypted when I copy the text and paste it elsewhere. To get this copy/paste to work, I must first enter "Edit", then copy the text from within edit mode.

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @mhayes789

Thanks for the feedback on this. If you surround the encrypted text with ``` (e.x. ```pgp encrypted text```) does that help?

Ben

• mhayes789
    mhayes789
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, adding the backticks worked.

However, let me add my voice to the chorus of others urgently requesting the ability to completely disable Markdown. I don't care about fancy formatting. I use Secure Notes to store TEXT, and I need that text preserved.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi @mhayes789, thanks for the input. We are looking to add an option to disable markdown formatting globally in a future release.

ref: apple-460

• christianmlong
    christianmlong
    Community Member
    Options

Please give an option to disable markdown, either per-note or globally.

1) Markdown syntax is not compatible with secure notes that might contain markdown reserved characters.

2) Not everyone knows markdown, or wants to learn it.

3) By making it mandatory and making the switch automatic, you moved everyone's cheese.

4) The markdown implementation in 7.0.7 does not preserve whitespace inside backtick-fenced areas. I have a lot of plain-text config files stored as notes, and their whitespace formatting and newlines are all messed up in 7.0.7, even though I have surrounded them with ``` top and bottom. In 7.0.4, the backtick fencing worked.

I love markdown. Make it optional and roll it out gradually.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @christianmlong, thanks for the feedback. We are considering options for disabling markdown, but I do not have details to share at this time. If new details emerge, I will let you know!

This discussion has been closed.