1Password Extension Helper & Clipy

Jonas Tee
Jonas Tee
Community Member

Hi guys,

Since the newest update from 1Password 6 to 7 I have a tiny problem -- not directly with but related to 1Password.

I am using the clipboard extension app 'Clipy' (https://clipy-app.com/) which stores my clipboard content up to 30 copies at a time. It is possible to exclude copied content from selected apps by Clipy and, because of security and privacy reasons, I have done that for 1Password, main app as well as 1Password Mini.

It worked completely fine since the mentioned update at the beginning. As before, I am still able to exclude the 1Password main app, but the exclusion of 1Password Extension Helper (which is in my opinion the new 1Password Mini, or? :chuffed:) does not work anymore. In conclusion, something has changed between the operation of 1Password Mini and Extension Helper.

Is there a way to exclude the new 1Password extension from my clipboard extension app again?

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Jonas

1Password Version: 7.0.5
Extension Version: 7.0.5 (Extension Helper)
OS Version: macOS 10.13.5
Sync Type: via 1Password

Comments

• @Jonas Tee

The 1Password mini window as you know it lives in 1Password 7.app. The Extension helper process only serves as a means to get information back and forth between the main app and the browser extensions, it holds no logic for interacting with the clipboard.

Is clippy not excluding 1Password 7.app content?

• Jonas Tee
    Jonas Tee
    Community Member

Hi Rudy,

Thanks for your fast reply.

First, I thought if I copy data directly from the main app, it does not get stored by Clipy and if I copy data from the extension window, it gets stored. But I realized right now, that it is a little bit more complicated. If I have the 1Password main app open, data from the extension window does not get stored, but if I close the 1Password main app the data gets stored.

Strange...

• @Jonas Tee,

My initial guess is that clipy is deciding the originating App based on which App claims the menubar focus. I'm not sure if clipy is being updated, but if it is they should definitely be respecting the concealed pasteboard type spec defined on http://nspasteboard.org

• Jonas Tee
    Jonas Tee
    Community Member

OK -- thanks for the answer.

So just out of curiosity, the change between 1Password 6 and 7 regarding the menubar extension is mainly the integration of the 1Password Mini app into the 1Password main app?

Thanks,
    Jonas

• rudy
    edited June 2018

@Jonas Tee,

In 1Password 6 the mini process housed the database and the mini UI.

In 1Password 7 the helper process houses nothing and just serves to relay messages back and forth between the main app and the extensions. The main app houses the database and the main and mini UI. It switches its presentation mode depending on whether you have any "main app" windows visible (it displays active in the dock and has a menubar). If none of the main app windows are open then it changes its presentation to not show as active in the dock and not display the 1Password application menus in the menubar.

• Jonas Tee
    Jonas Tee
    Community Member

Thanks, Rudy, for the explanation!

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

@Jonas Tee I am glad that Rudy could help. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns :smile:.

This discussion has been closed.