To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Accessing documents using a browser

iwaddo
iwaddo
Community Member

Hi

I have just logged into my new account using Safari on my iMac and went to view some of the documents (that used to be attached to secure notes) and was surprised to learn that I cannot actually view them but the only option is to download them. Is this correct?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2018

Hi @iwaddo,

Viewing a Document always requires downloading first as we never do any decryption on the server. The Document has to be on your computer before we can decrypt it. :) In the client apps once you've downloaded a Document it'll be cached so that you can continue to view it even offline.

Ben

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member

@Ben

The scenario I was envisaging was losing my phone and travel documents whilst travelling on business or on holiday. I would be smug in the knowledge that I can access my important passwords and travel documents in my online 1Password account from any internet connected PC.

I am now a little concerned that to view this information and especially copies of travel documents and my password I first have to download them. This does not feel like a good idea if I have to resort to an Internet cafe somewhere.

Most of my secure online banking allows me to view all manner of statements and documents online, with the option to download if I choose. Why is 1Password not doing the same.

This seems like quite a serious shortcoming.

• rob
    rob
    edited July 2018

Hi, @iwaddo.

I am now a little concerned that to view this information and especially copies of travel documents and my password I first have to download them. This does not feel like a good idea if I have to resort to an Internet cafe somewhere.

I'm sorry for the confusion. There's no need for concern here with regard to an Internet cafe [[EDIT: as long as you are using your own device]]. While there are certain attacks that are possible at an Internet cafe that aren't possible on your own Wi-Fi connection, this isn't one of them.

When you download a file that you've saved in 1Password, it is completely encrypted during transmission (more than once actually). Besides being protected by HTTPS, it is additionally encrypted with keys that only you have, so neither we (AgileBits) nor an attacker in the cafe could decipher it. Once the encrypted file gets to your device, we decrypt it using your private keys, then save it to your device.

The way your documents are stored and transmitted is actually much more secure than the way most banks handle documents. (Most banks simply rely on HTTPS to protect the document as it is being transmitted.)

• rob
    rob
    edited July 2018

On the other hand, I just realized I may have misunderstood your concern. If you are meaning that you would use a public computer to access your documents in an Internet cafe, then yes, that is quite a different problem. You should never sign in to your 1Password account using a public computer. The same goes for bank accounts or anything that you do not want to be hacked. If you are using a public computer, there is nothing that 1Password, a bank, or any other site can do to protect your documents.

This discussion has been closed.