How do I reconcile the Primary and Personal vaults before deleting the Primary vault?

greggsewell1
greggsewell1
Community Member

I've finally purchased a subscription.

Now I have a Primary vault synced via Dropbox and the Personal vault associated with my subscription account.

I've searched the Knowledgebase and the forums and found this discussion:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/78974/duplicate-vault-and-syncing

I understand what to do, but I'm concerned about something.

How do I know that the Personal vault has the most up-to-date info for items that appear in both vaults?

I really don't want to manually compare duplicate items before I delete the Primary vault.

I have 170 in my Primary vault and 134 in my Personal vault.

That's a lot of checking.

Thanks for your help and advice.

1Password Version: Mac: 7.0.4 (70004000); iOS: 7.0.6
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6 Beta (17G54a)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi @greggsewell1

Unfortunately, manually comparing is really the only way to do it if you want to be absolutely certain. 1Password does not really keep track of what you put in it for privacy purposes and standalone and membership vaults are entirely separate from one another and don't communicate. You can look through the Personal vault and see if you can think of anything that is missing but if you want to be absolutely certain that the proper vault has all the proper items, manual comparison is necessary.

I know, it's a rather tedious process, but think of this as an opportunity to organize and clean out some logins and data that you don't need anymore.

• greggsewell1
    greggsewell1
    Community Member

Thanks for your response, Corey.

Here’s an idea.

Give the user the option of generating a diff file that compares only modification dates of items duplicated in multiple vaults.

Even though vaults don’t communicate, I see the items in multiple vaults when I select All Vaults. So this list must exist somewhere in the code base. Right? (I’m no programmer, so I hope I’m not talking nonsense here.)

It seems to me that a diff file with nothing but modification dates wouln’t violate any privacy stuff.

And it might not get the user all the way there, but it would cut the time required during a manual comparison by a significant amount.

Thanks for listening.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

Give the user the option of generating a diff file that compares only modification dates of items duplicated in multiple vaults.

@greggsewell1: You can do that using 1PIF exports of each vault. The problem is that those are not encrypted. But then again that would necessarily be true in any instance where you need to use another app to read the data.

Even though vaults don’t communicate, I see the items in multiple vaults when I select All Vaults. So this list must exist somewhere in the code base. Right? (I’m no programmer, so I hope I’m not talking nonsense here.)

Each vault has it's own unique encryption keys. 1Password is decrypting data in real time for display as you access it, but there isn't a way to do what you're proposing currently. I agree it would be cool though. :)

It seems to me that a diff file with nothing but modification dates wouln’t violate any privacy stuff.

It really depends on the person. I think you're right that something like this would be okay with most people. But I'm not sure just modification dates would be useful. What would be compared then? Just throw out anything older than X? You'd really need at least titles, and those are often more sensitive, since they'd typically reveal the names of websites the user has accounts with. Again, some people won't care, but others will.

And it might not get the user all the way there, but it would cut the time required during a manual comparison by a significant amount.

Thanks for listening.

I agree, but ultimately it doesn't come up very much. Most people remove the Primary vault as part of the 1Password.com migration process and therefore only have a Personal vault and only make changes there. I'm sorry I don't have a better suggestion for you in this case, but we'll continue to try to streamline things to help others not end up in a similar situation. Thank you for the feedback!

This discussion has been closed.