Cannot download Safari Extension

Options
BSchott
BSchott
Community Member

When I clink the link for the Safari extension it takes me to a page where, once I click on the "agilebits" link I have to log in. Once I log in, I'm on a 1Password HOME page and cannot find where to download this extension! Why is this so hard??
I have 1Password7 (and mini) working great in Chrome, but I cannot even find the extension to test out Safari.
HELP!!!

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: 1Password Sync

Comments

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BSchott! 1password.com/browsers should do the trick for you :)

• hlbrk
    hlbrk
    Community Member
    Options

It doesn't. Same results. Takes me to the 1Password purchase site.

• Jacob
    Options

@hlbrk Could you try opening this page which is the 1Password extension on the Safari extensions website, and downloading it from there? Let us know how that goes.

• MacManiac
    MacManiac
    Community Member
    Options

New 1Password purchaser and long-time Mac user....downloaded 1Password 7.0.4 from your site in order to get a standalone license rather than the monthly/annual service plan that the Mac App Store requires....found the link to the FastSpring license process and made the PayPal transaction (this was a challenging search....)....tried to install the Safari browser extension from within my newly installed 1Password on my 2017 MB Pro with High Sierra Mac OS X 10.13.5 and couldn't get it to work.....this is the long back-story to confirm that your link to the Apple Safari Extensions page above is the solution. Installed the extension, restarted the computer and all was correct.

• BSchott
    BSchott
    Community Member
    Options

@hlbrk Thanks, but that page takes me to a Safari extension page with an Agilebits link - the same page I've been to a dozen times. When I click that link it takes me to https://1password.com/, a signin page where i cannot find a link to download the extension! I just keep going round and around in circles.

• wfdTamar
    wfdTamar
    Community Member
    Options

Same thing for me. Come on, this should be one of the basic things you have working - downloading the software! Instead of presuming what you're suggesting works, actually try it and find BSchott is correct. It is impossible to download the Safari extension!

• luv314159
    luv314159
    Community Member
    Options

This sounds dumb, but try making sure you're using Safari and not another browser to download the Safari extension. When I look at the Safari extensions page in Safari, it says "installed" and presumably would let me install it if it weren't. When I look at the same page in Firefox, there's no option to download anything.

• Jacob
    Options

@BSchott Sorry about the confusion. On that page, click Install to install the extension. Don't click AgileBits since that's not the install button.

@luv314159 Safari extensions can only be installed in Safari itself. Is the extension not actually installed, but the page shows that it is? If so, let's look to see if it's there somewhere;

1. Open Finder and click Go > Go to Folder.
    2. Paste the following and click Go: ~/Library/Safari/Extensions
    3. If 1Password is there, drag it to the Trash and restart Safari.
    4. Install the extension again.

Let us know how that goes!

• BSchott
    BSchott
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks - I removed the file, restarted Safari and went to https://1password.com/browsers/ and clicked Install. It says "installed, but does not appear in the Share menu. I restarted Safari again, same result.
    I thought I saw that in Safari that is how to go to your passwords. If not, how do you get to them except cmd-\ ?? Or is cmd-\ the only way to get them loaded?

• luv314159
    luv314159
    Community Member
    Options

@BSchott It should put a button on the toolbar. It doesn't go in the Share menu. If not there, maybe right click on the toolbar and hit "Customize Toolbar..." Any button for 1Password?

• BSchott
    BSchott
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks - just found it!

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018
    Options

@BSchott Glad you were able to get the extension all set up! Let us know if you need any more help :)

ref: IJL-24523-944

• wfdTamar
    wfdTamar
    Community Member
    Options

I have done what is suggested and I still have no extension and an endless loop from the Agilebits Install extension page to the Safari extension page (which ONLY has a link back to Agilebits, NO extension install button). Been using Macs for 32 years which does not mean I'm infallible, but I have the right browser! Can you post a direct link to the extension?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wfdTamar - I'm sorry for the trouble. Open Safari Preferences > Extensions and remove any existing copy of the 1Password extension. Close Preferences. Still in Safari, click Safari > Safari Extensions (or just click this URL). We should be the first extension you see there. Click the familiar 1Password "keyhole" icon, and the extension should be installed for you from the Safari Extensions Gallery. If it is not, can you tell us what version of OS X or macOS you're using, and what version of Safari? Thanks.

• wfdTamar
    wfdTamar
    Community Member
    Options

OS 10.13.5 (but this has just been installed and the issue has been happening since I installed 1Password 7). Safari 11.1.1 (13605.2.8). When I click that URL I get the Extensions page which, yes, has 1Password as the first link (hate to think how much you paid to get that). However, clicking that 'Learn More'link under the 1Password gets a page that tells you about 1Password, but has no link to the extension and it doesn't get downloaded!

• wfdTamar
    wfdTamar
    Community Member
    Options

I also have Kaspersky and a firewall like app called Hands Off! which I thought may be blocking it so I turned both off with no change.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wfdTamar - Hmmm...this is what you should see when you click the 1Password icon or "Learn More" link if you don't have a 1Password extension already installed.

If you do have one already installed when you visit this page, you should see "Installed" in a lighter-gray. Can you check Safari's Extensions (Preferences > Extensions) and see if anything from us is installed there?

• wfdTamar
    wfdTamar
    Community Member
    Options

No kidding? :-) No I do not have the extension installed. For some reason no extensions in the Extension Gallery have the download link. Not just 1Password.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018
    Options

@wfdTamar do you think you can send us a screenshot of what you see on the Safari 1Password extension page?

For example, I have the extension installed and see this (like Lars mentioned above):

If you open the Safari 1Password extension page in a browser other than Safari, for example Google Chrome, you will see this:

This seems to be in line with what you seem to be experiencing. If this is the case, open this link in Safari itself to install the extension: https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C

• wfdTamar
    wfdTamar
    Community Member
    Options

First of all, if you look up just above Lars post you'll see I did post the screen shot. I understand the first course of action in tech support is to presume the user is a moron (I do support myself) :-) , but it really is not there.

Second, that link you posted only sends me straight back to the offending page! I know what is supposed to be there, what it looks like when working. I'm telling you it isn't working. Something is preventing any extensions having the 'Install Now' link (not just 1Password, any extension).

So, ok, it's not Agilebit's fault, but pulease, until I can work out why and fix it, CAN I PLEASE HAVE A DIRECT LINK TO THE EXTENSION!!!!! so I can get 1Password working automatically. It defeats the purpose to have to manually look up each sites password in the app.

• wfdTamar
    wfdTamar
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Thanks Rudy. That did download the extension, but would you believe when double clicking to install, it doesn't install, it takes you back to the extensions page!? Argh. To get around that I manually dragged it into ~/Library/Safari/Extensions. Restarted Safari - and it didn't appear in Safari! Let me restart the Mac. Nope, does not work. It seems if the extension was sourced from the Gallery it has to be installed via the Gallery. I have other extensions that are installing by double clicking.

So I really need the (beta) extension direct from Agilebits.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

@wftTamar You said "However, clicking that 'Learn More' link under the 1Password gets a page that tells you about 1Password, but has no link to the extension and it doesn't get downloaded!" Go back to that page, try clicking on the 1Password icon instead of the 'Learn More' link.

• wfdTamar
    wfdTamar
    Community Member
    Options

Finally sorted it. It was a firewall program called Hands Off! blocking it, even though it didn't show a rule blocking anything to do with Safari. Should have stuck with the better and very similar Little Snitch. After removing Hands Off! I could install extensions normally.

• rudy
    edited July 2018
    Options

@wfdTamar,

That's great to hear that you were able to track down the source of the block. As for a direct download, unfortunately we can't anymore. Apple is in the process of removing support for Developer ID signed legacy extensions. Its currently already enforcing that in the Safari Tech Preview and the next update they ship for 10.11, 10.12, 10.13, and 10.14 will also include that enforcement.

This discussion has been closed.