To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Installing 1Password on my new Microsoft Surface Pro

Options

Comments

• DFWKen
    DFWKen
    Community Member
    Options

How can I know if I have a 1Password membership or a stand alone. It's been 3 or 4 years since I began using 1Password and I never knew I had a Secret Key. We are using 1Password on my desktop, my wife's laptop, and my iPhone. But I've been trying to install 1Password on my new Microsoft Surface Pro and ran into the requirement for a Secret Key without any luck. The instructions are taking me in circles. (need to log on to get my secret key, but logging on requires a secret key).

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hi @DFWKen

Your receipt would show which you have. Membership is a subscription service, so you'd have bills at regular intervals (either monthly or annually). Only memberships have Secret Keys. If you're using a standalone license you won't have one.

If you'd like to migrate to a membership so that you can use the latest version of 1Password on all of your devices please see this guide:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

You can read more about the benefits of membership here:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• DFWKen
    DFWKen
    Community Member
    Options

So if I understand you correctly, my purchase of 1Password back in late 2014 - early 2015 is no longer valid and I cannot install and use 1Password on my new Surface Pro without an annual subscription? It wasn't that long ago that I was able to install on my wife's computer without this issue.

• Ben
    Options

@DFWKen

Your license is still valid for the software the license was for. It isn't valid for newer versions. Licenses are sold per-person, per-platform, per-major version.

You can purchase a license for 1Password 7 if that is what you'd prefer, but membership offers a better value and also gives you access to the 1Password membership service which has a number of benefits (outlined in the article mentioned above). You can read about the options for upgrading here:

And you can read more about the upgrades here:

Ben

• DFWKen
    DFWKen
    Community Member
    Options

Never mind. I installed Dropbox and opened the vault and 1Password is now working on my Surface Pro, although it says "Read Only".

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2018
    Options

@DFWKen

1Password will show read only if it isn't licensed or you do not have an active membership. You'll be able to view your information, but won't be able to add or edit items, or fill items using the browser extensions.

Ben

ref: YZZ-49741-452

This discussion has been closed.