"1Password rocks!" -MacUpdate's Joel Lockard

twilsonco
twilsonco
Community Member

1Password at the top of the list of MacUpdate's Top Ten Password Managers. This assumes the list is in decreasing order of quality, but having used DataVault (at the bottom of the list) previously, I can safely say it's inferior to 1Password.

Congrats! Though you already knew this.... This is more to pat myself on the back for having picked the best option :p

Nowadays there seems to be half a dozen decent choices for password managers, but I, fortunately, didn't have such a difficult decision because 1P was one of only a few, and clearly the best choice.

Now, years later, I have to say that this forum in particular really sets 1P apart. You're all so involved with the user community. Even when it's simply a thread in which people post simply to voice their support for a feature, someone always takes the time to reply to each voice. Very refreshing considering that the support forum for the makers of most of the devices 1P runs on doesn't have any input from the company itself (looking at you Apple!).

Well, I better go wipe off my nose; it's sufficiently brown now :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Be careful of MacUpdate. It was caught distributing adware through a custom installer and later, Malwarebytes blocked MacUpdate as a bad site.

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/threat-analysis/2018/02/new-mac-cryptominer-distributed-via-a-macupdate-hack/

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/cybercrime/2015/11/has-macupdate-fallen-to-the-adware-plague/

• Thanks @twilsonco. I hadn't seen that article. I haven't looked at all of the other password managers in that list, but am pretty familiar with some. We're in pretty good company... those other apps keep us on our toes and help push us to do better. I think 1Password's by far the best option, but I might be just a little biased though. :) I'm just happy to see places push users to using a password manager as everyone should have the tools they need to be secure online even if they aren't using 1Password.

wkleem is right though. 1Password should always be downloaded directly from us, or from the Mac App Store.

Rick

• twilsonco
    twilsonco
    Community Member

Thanks for point out MacUpdate's mischief guys! Man, using computers has gotten to be such a pain. Every time I get an email asking me to go somewhere and do something, even if I am 99.9% sure it's completely legitimate, I instead open 1P and load the site from there rather than clicking on the link in the email. It's like you have to don your tin foil hat just to check the news nowadays!

Now I feel bad for posting the link. Should I remove it? Don't want to be responsible for directing traffic to a malicious site....

• It sounds like you're doing the right steps to protect yourself, @twilsonco. I feel similarly. Just last week I got an email from Amazon saying that there was a problem charging my card for an AWS account of mine. Everything about the email told me that I shouldn't trust it. As it turns out, it was a legit email, and I'm glad 1Password had my back.

Don't feel the need to remove the URL. The lesson here isn't "don't go to MacUpdate", but instead "only ever download software from somewhere more trustworthy" (and also make sure Gatekeeper is set as strict as you can get away with).

Rick

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Ouch, did not know that about MacUpdate.

Luckily I only use it to find outdated software, which I will update myself, manually.

Is there an alternative macOS App that can list outdated Apps (from outside the App Store)?

• Not that I know of, @XIII. At one point that was quite a popular thing. There was Bodega (my own app), MacUpdate, VersionTracker Desktop, and a few more. The best one was obviously Bodega. :)

Rick

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

I really don’t know of any such sites like MacUpdate that are trustworthy anymore. Maybe sites like Snapfiles or File Hippo for older versions but I don’t go there now. For example since Google dropped Picasa in 2016, there is no replacement, Google Photos was found inferior based on comments of those who preferred Picasa.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, there's a lot of really weird/creepy/shady advertising out there, and unfortunately that's the only way a lot of sites can seem to make any money. Hopefully the internet find better solutions in time.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Today I discovered MacUpdater:

http://corecode.io/macupdater

Looks promising, but I did not find out yet whether they download & run regular installers or do something “special”...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hmm. I don't find the information on the website inspires confidence, but it's interesting. :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Have been enjoying (the paid version of) MacUpdater, but seems like they're too successful right now:

"Sorry but our servers are overloaded because of too frequent scanning. Please try to rely on the daily automatic scan of MacUpdater for your version information. For the time being, forced manual rescans are restricted to have at least a 3 hour pause in between."

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yikes! They must be getting hammered! :scream:

This discussion has been closed.