1Password has disappeared after update

Options
Katy
Katy
Community Member

I'm on a Mac with High Sierra. 1Password has disappeared from the list of applications. I never had the icon on the dock. It must be there somewhere though because when I joined this community awhile ago I had to insert a password to register and 1 password popped up as usual to suggest one. I've no idea what version it was that disappeared. I don't often go to the application so it might have been missing for awhile.
I'd appreciate someone telling him what to do. I need to unlock it to find a particular password. Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @katy,

I've never heard of 1Password suddenly disappearing from a computer. The program is not able to uninstall itself without your input. Have you tried using Spotlight to look for it?

• Katy
    Katy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply.
    No but I just did. It comes up in Network and Internet Accounts/System Preferences. Also in Developer - Licence and Stringtable zh_TW & zh_CN.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm, that is really strange @katy. Do you have any idea what version you have been using so far? Have any license information or membership information or anything in your emails that you can locate? Obviously don't share anything private here as this is a public forum.

• Katy
    Katy
    Community Member
    Options

No nothing but I checked the screenshot I made when I registered here. The 1 password dialogue shows a key then 'use Safari suggested password with the suggested password underneath. A line. Then 'This password will be saved for use on this website.'
    Telling you in case the dialogue has been changed recently. I haven't noticed that it has though.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

If you haven't used it in a while, chances are you are still using 1Password 6. Any idea where you downloaded it from, our website or the Mac App Store?

• Katy
    Katy
    Community Member
    Options

I'll have a lot at purchases in the store but think I downloaded it from here. Be right back.

• Katy
    Katy
    Community Member
    Options

No not from the store. I did download it from there in 14 but this is a new (17) Macbook. Maybe that's the problem if it was downloaded from the old computer hard drive? I really can't remember if I've downloaded it since. There is a chance I did. Sorry to be so vague.

• Katy
    Katy
    Community Member
    Options

I doubt I downloaded it off the old hard drive because I vaguely remember being told it was best not to download old programs. I did download a few things off it but only documents and such.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Katy - if you purchased 1Password 6 for Mac (or earlier) from the Mac App Store, then assuming you're signed into the Mac App Store with the same Apple ID as you used to purchase 1Password, you should be able to visit your Purchased tab in the Mac App Store and click "Install" from there. If you originally downloaded from us, you can visit our downloads page and down near the bottom, you'll see links to the final version of 1Password 6 for Mac -- version 6.8.9.

• Katy
    Katy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars. So will whatever is left on my system play nicely with that version? Will I lose all my passwords?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Katy - I'm not sure what you mean. If you have a brand-new MacBook that has never had 1Password on it previously, then you won't have any data there whatsoever. Just installing the application won't make your data appear. If you have been using 1Password on your new MacBook, then when you re-install 1Password, your data should be exactly as you left it. The data itself does not reside within the app, it's in your /Users/your-username/Library folder, so it won't be affected if you reinstall the app.

• Katy
    Katy
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, the macbook is a 17 model and I have had 1 password installed on it obviously as I've been using the dialogue for new passwords. I used the dialogue twice yesterday but I also needed an old password and when I went to look for the application icon to open it I couldn't find it. I explained all this above.
    At the moment the 1 password dialogue just pops up automatically to give me a password. I used the dialogue to access another site and to register here yesterday. I also noticed that the program icon was missing from the launchpad and list of applications when I went looking for an older password I needed. I don't open 1 password very often . I just use the dialogue when I want a new password or to remember one. I have no idea what's going on but there's been a few updates in the last little while.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Katy - ok.

1. Please hold down the Command key (⌘ -- immediately to the left of your spacebar), then hit the spacebar to bring up a Spotlight search.
    2. Type the word 1Password into the pop-up search bar.
    3. Scroll down to the bottom of the list in the left column and click "Show All In Finder." This will open a window. Look for any 1Password applications.
    4. If you see any, single-click them, then look at the bottom of the window at the Path Bar. It will look like this:

That will be the location where you can find your 1Password app. Can you tell me how many of these you find, and what version(s) they are? Thanks.
  • Katy
    Katy
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, when I do that I don't see anything except the Finder icon.

• Katy
    Katy
    Community Member
    Options

I thought I might come back to let people know I suddenly realised it was a Safari extension and went looking in 'preferences' for it. So I have an old version 4.7.1 and there's the option to uninstall. I'm a bit reluctant to do this but if it's corrupted then I have no option. Should I do this? Thanks.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

@Katy the Safari extension has nothing to do with your data. If something went wrong with the extension, removing and reinstalling the extension is perfectly safe to do.

• Katy
    Katy
    Community Member
    Options

Okay. Thanks for that, Corey. I'll remove it and then install the latest version. It was only that I didn't want to lose my passwords.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Not a problem @Katy. Let us know how it goes.

This discussion has been closed.