1Password mini doesn't "reset" its search like it used to after a period of time

Options
skatch
skatch
Community Member

I think that previously, 1pwd mini used to clear out whatever you'd searched for after you'd closed it and waited for some period of time. This was nice because if I searched for something, closed 1pwd mini and then brought it up again right away, I could look again at the details for whatever I had just searched for. However, if I closed 1pwd mini and then brought it up an hour later, I'd be starting from a clean state. This is what I expected because at that point I would always be starting a new search or browsing, not wanting to reference something I'd searched for an hour ago.

It would be nice to bring back this behavior. (At least, I think this is how it used to work?) Not clearing the search feels like added friction.

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: macOS 10.13.5
Sync Type: 1Password.com subscription

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@skatch - I'm unable to reproduce the behavior you're seeing. When I search for something in 1Password 7 for Mac mini, to close the mini window, I use the escape key -- and the first thing that does is wipe the search. If I "close" it instead by clicking away from it, the next time I open it, it uses whatever I have frontmost at the time (because it is invoked by a global shortcut). In my case, the frontmost application happened to be Slack, and 1Password mini opened with all my slack logins. I also just tested this on a VM with El Capitan and 1Password 6 for Mac, and found that the mini immediately erases search as well. Can you clarify or even take a video of the two behaviors you're seeing in different OS/1Password iterations? Thanks.

• skatch
    skatch
    Community Member
    Options

Woops, I should have posted more specific steps. Here's the specific situation I was referring to:

1. Bring up 1Password mini
    2. Search for a login
    3. Hit enter to open & fill that site in a browser
    4. Open a new browser tab, (or switch to the Finder/any app that isn't a browser)
    5. Bring up 1Password mini again
    6. At this point, I'm looking at whatever I previously searched for in 1Password mini.

This feels normal when the time between steps 3 & 4 is short. But if an hour has passed, it trips me up to see what I last searched for as I've moved on and expect to be starting fresh.

This is a pretty minor thing, and I'm not entirely sure if this is a change in behavior between 1Password 6 and 1Password 7. I just started noticing it with 1Pwd 7, so assumed there used to be a timeout with the old version. That said, I don't have the older version installed anymore so I could be wrong.

• Xipper
    Xipper
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

I agree, this is a bug. I should add that "escape" doesn't work if you manually use the keyboard to "navigate" to a different part of the screen. I deal with a lot of HTTP based login with a popup browser window, so I use the keyboard to highlight the password field and copy it. Once you get the cursor out of the (e.g. if you use TAB) Search input box the Escape key does nothing, so stop acting like that is a valid work around. This is a UI bug, the search should reset itself after some period of time as I encounter this dozens of times a day and it is beyond annoying. I don't recall this behavior on previous versions of 1P, though maybe I am just remembering incorrectly...it isn't like its a trivial task to switch versions to test.

• Xipper
    Xipper
    Community Member
    Options

It really seems that "Tab" is essentially broken for navigating 1Password Mini, which means it departs from the norm for all keyboard navigation since beginning of time.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018
    Options

@skatch thanks for letting us know the exact steps to reproduce this, I will pass your feedback onto the development team.

@Xipper as for your comment regarding "Tab" being broken, what are you experiencing and the exact steps to reproduce so we can help fix it :smile:?

ref: apple-1784

This discussion has been closed.