Still not syncing copies of passwords...

Jakob
Jakob
Community Member

I can't believe it, data between copied items still don't sync! How do you expect this to work? Creating a vault for every possible combination of members because I can use the password only once or I have to update in every possible vault. What a bummer, just hope that I miss something here...

Now I'm feeling very sad...

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: 1.8.0
OS Version: WIN 10
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• Bill_Lee
    Bill_Lee
    Community Member

Each copy of an item becomes a separate item that then only bears a superficial resemblance to the original - it is not the same as the original but just looks like it. Changes made to the original will not change the copy; changes made to the copy won't change the original. This is a good reason why you should rename a copy you just made so that you aren't making changes to the wrong item by mistake. It's also a good reason not to just make seemingly identical copies unless you really need to, even if you keep this copy in a Private Vault.

If you need to give access to an item to a bunch of people, but not have them delete or modify it then you can create a Vault and set it to be read only so they can use it but not change it. Login on to your Family web site and click on the 'Manage ⚙︎' button. That will give you the list of people who have access to that vault - to the right of each name is their current access granted to this Vault. Clicking on the gear icon will allow you to make it read-only by unchecking the 'Allow Editing'.

If you trust the people you are sharing your items with then what is wrong with having a public Shared Vault that everyone has access to? If you have particular items that can only be shared with one person, then a Family subscription (the forum where you posted your question) will (by default) have only 5 people, so it means you can have five Shared Vaults which shouldn't mean it is too cumbersome. If you have items that must be shared with multiple people but not others, then you can make some specific Shared Vaults, unless you must have every possible permutation of sharing as a vault, when the number of Vaults might become a problem.

Maybe I'm not fully understanding your problem for which I will apologise: the phrase "I can use the password only once" seems to be the most confusing to me.

• There is no concept of items being linked across vaults in 1Password, so at the moment there is no way to have an item appear in multiple vaults and have changes in one affect the others. I believe that is what @Jakob is getting at.

Jakob: If you could elaborate a bit about your use case we may be able to offer some suggestions as to how to manage your data to best suit your situation.

Ben

• drummerjg
    drummerjg
    Community Member

I have a similar issue/question to this post. I share a vault with my wife. In that shared vault is the Netflix log on. I recently updated the sign-on credentials for Netflix and it was NOT copied to the shared vault. I was under theimperession that syncing would handle this. what good is sharing a vault if updates are not carried across the items in the vault?

• @drummerjg

Do you have multiple copies of your Netflix login (one in your Personal vault and one in the Shared vault)? If so, why?

Ben

• drummerjg
    drummerjg
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    Yes, actually Ido. Being "new" to the whole family sharing scenario I figured that was what I needed to do. But now that I actually think about it, it doesn't really make sense...DUH! When I created the shared vault I just made copies of all the stuff in my vault that my wife might need. Guess I have some "clean up" to do. Thanks!

• You're welcome. :) Yes, generally unless there is good reason to do so we don't recommend keeping multiple copies of items around exactly for this reason.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.