1password acted like it was new for no reason, had to restore from backup

Options

Is this something to be concerned about? 1password has been working fine enough until today when I tried to unlock, it gave me the startup splash with 3 options, create a new vault, open existing one or restore from backup.

What prompted this behaviour, could it be malicious? Should I worry about losing access to all my logins forever due to a dodgy app?

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hi @megaspel,

Thanks for writing in.

First, I want to address your main concern:

Should I worry about losing access to all my logins forever due to a dodgy app?

No for two reasons;

1. You were able to restore from a backup for a reason, we designed 1Password to be resilient at all levels. We've been developing 1Password since 2006 and we never had a bug or problem where an entire vault would just disappear off the drive.
    2. We designed our vaults to be open-format that anyone could develop a product that reads the vault data, so even if we go out of business or something like that, someone can still build an app to read or write the data. In addition, you can find previous versions of 1Password to switch back if it was a bug, we store all versions of 1Password here: https://app-updates.agilebits.com Finally, you can make backups of your vaults to be stored on an archival/backup drive, which we do recommend. You can also make a copy for a cloud backup service if you use one.

With that in mind, what you saw certainly isn't normal. We did see some cases where the vault would just disappear; where someone was storing the vault on a network share and they didn't reconnect it before opening 1Password 4, so it acts like the vault disappeared where really, the drive that was hosting it was not there anymore.

There is also syncing tools, they may have removed it for some reasons.

Let's start with that, are you storing your 1Password vaults on a normal local drive and if yes, are you using any sync tool?

Did you do anything recently to your computer that could change how 1Password works? A Windows update or reinstall, some new security tools, etc?

• megaspel
    megaspel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT, thanks for replying.

Everything's local, I'm not using any sync tool, there's been no hardware changes. Recent updates are Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool July 2018 and KB4338832 (flash player security update). I have also just installed KB4338819 but not restarted to complete it.

I'm getting an md5 of 08ac0fc29a36882c761d07a1e2cdc16d from 1Password.exe is that right?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @megaspel,

Yes, 08ac0fc29a36882c761d07a1e2cdc16d is correct for the installed 1Password.exe file.

Did you check your drive to see if there is any other 1Password.agilekeychain or 1Password.opvault? The default location is your Documents > 1Password.

Some Windows updates ended up with 1Password forgetting its last used vault (it's stored in the registry).

This discussion has been closed.