Onboarding new employees via 1Password

lode
lode
Community Member
edited July 2018 in Business and Teams

Recently I've onboarded new employees in our company and thus into using 1Password. However the process is a bit cumbersome:

1. I create an email account for them
  2. I send a setup link to their personal email address
  3. I invite them for 1Password
  4. They sign up at the company email and choose a password
  5. They join 1Password and choose a master password (via the email in their company email)
  6. They download the 1Password app/extension
  7. They fill in their master password
  8. They logout of their company email
  9. They log in to their company email, and save the password in 1Password
  10. They go to their company email account settings to change their password
  11. They choose the password 1Password auto generates

Now they're setup and safe, as in that they have a safe random generated password for their email and a known one for their 1Password. In each step misunderstandings can occur, especially when this process happens remote, or with less digital native people.

I'd love a process where this is more smooth for the new person. It is a hard process to fully automate, but I'm willing to put more tasks at myself / the team who does the onboarding for new employees. For example I was thinking of a process which looks like this:

1. I create a 1Password account for them, on a temporary email address that I can access
  2. I sign up at 1Password for them, choose a temporary master password, and log in as them
  3. I create a company email account for them, using a random generated password from 1Password, and save the password in their 1Password
  4. I change the email address of their 1Password to their new company email address
  5. A missing part: I reset their 1Password to a clean state, get an invite link, and email that to their personal email address
  6. They use the link to choose a final master password
  7. They have access to their company email via 1Password

This is way less error prone. Also imagine that for their company email they have to set up two factor / totp tokens, which I would like them to save in 1Password (yes, I'm aware of https://blog.agilebits.com/2015/01/26/totp-for-1password-users/), which complicates things even more so. Not even talking about the other tools used in the company which they have to get access to, but that is relatively easy once they have email & 1Password set up.

Also this process is not ideal. Like the messing around with a temporary business email to setup 1Password with. But as said, better having that trouble for me then for the new employee.

Is that step 5 (I reset their 1Password to a clean state, get an invite link, and email that to their personal email address) already possible? Or is that something that can be created as a new feature?

(I read a similar wish at https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/54437/is-this-just-for-teams-who-need-to-share-the-same-login-credentials, but that is old and closed.)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Business

Comments

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

It doesn't have to be that painful.

Although it is still in beta, I would suggest you explore our 1Password SCIM bridge for provisioning people. If you have an identity provider, such as Okta or Azure Active Directory, then our SCIM bridge is the right thing for you. (But, again, it is in beta.)

If you don't want to go full SCIM, then you can still automate some parts of provisioning by using our command line client.

Whichever you chose to explore, please take a look at our discussion forums for them. A lot of people are sharing tips, and we are there to help.

This discussion has been closed.