One Time Password on a mobile device clipboard gottcha.

Options
lwmcmahon
lwmcmahon
Community Member

Hi,

When a One-Time Password expires before I get logged in, I copy a backup code emergency code into the clipboard to login again but the clipboard is overwritten. I could memorize a one-time use backup code rather than use the clipboard. I keep the emergency backup codes in a Notes section of each 1PW login. I can send the code thru email, but that just so happens to not work well because the code can't readily be copied it must also be memorized and manually entered (Opened an issue on this, but they may consider it a feature and out of my control.).

Can you help me break out of this loop so I can login on a mobile ios device or do I just consider this a way to improve my memory for numbers?

On my PC, I can readily copy/paste a new one-time password or a backup code from the 1PW login entry into my browser login panel w/o a problem.

On my iPad I try to start at the 30 second mark, but pasting takes time and my iPad keyboard gets in the way of pressing the Authenticate button. Doing this a lot makes my head spin.

Larry

1Password Version: 7.0.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:One-Time Password

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi Larry,

Turning off 1Password > Settings > Security > Clear Clipboard may help, but generally I’d recommend copying a new one-time password rather than burning an emergency code. :)

I hope that helps!

Ben

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

First, on my ipad it is difficult to copy a new one time password with the login session also using the one time browser session to login. It would be nice to open the login sesson on my ipad chrome browser. Some apps don”t like the 1pw browser. I need to learn how to open a second session in 1pw so i can copy a new one-time pw.

The emailed password is not copyable, so I have asked the vendor to fix this, I store the back codes in a note in 1pw for each login account. Handy and safe on the pc, but diff to access on my ipad util I learn how to open multiple 1pw sessions.

I try to initiate a login when I can have the full 30sec window. But what I find is that the one-time password has been rejected with plenty of time teft on the 30 sec timer. This does not happen on my pc, where the one-time pw works well.

For the most part the one-time pw function is not useable on my iPad.

Larry

• Ben
    Options

@lwmcmahon

Are the date, time, and timezone the same on your iPad as your PC?

We don’t generally recommend using 1Browser, the browser built into 1Password, anymore. It hasn’t received much if any attention recently. You can use 1Password in Safari (and Chrome):

Use the 1Password extension to fill in Safari and apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Ben

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

My pc and iPad were about 20 seconds out if sync timewise. I updated the pc so they are now using the same time.
    I will check to see if that helps.

As for usung chrome or safari vs 1browser, the critical usability issue is the need to navigate to the login URL so that 1pw can be used to fill in the ID & PW. Sorry but I don’t remember all those login URLs W/O 1pw. What am I missing?

Larry

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

Would be nice it Chrome was supported on my ipad for opening links from within 1pw like safari.
    Larry

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I can’t get tye time to be identical with my pc. The iPad is a second or so later.
    It is working better, but not as reliable as the pc.

Not sure how to best use chrome w 1pw on my iPad.

Larry

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lwmcmahon: Even a few seconds should be fine. Depending on the service, they usually allow some leeway, with both the previous, current, and next TOTP codes being accepted within a narrow time frame.

Can you elaborate on the issue you're having with Chrome? We don't really have any control over it since it's not our software, but I might be able to suggest something.

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    You suggested that I not use 1browser. I tend to use chrome on my pc and iPad and iPhone.

I’m trying to figure out how to use chrome rather than 1browser. Typically, I wait for the one-time pw to cycle to 30 seconds b4 I try to login using 1browser.

In 1pw, I press and hold the site URL to copy. It offers three options, open, copy and open in Safar and I suspect you have control over these options and could include one to open in chrome. So I paste the link into my chrome browser and use the extension to fill in the id/pw. 1pw does not offer up any timing info when the extension is used, so I am in the dark about the time remaining on the one-time Password.

The chrome extension is not easy to use because I need to open the login URL prior to using 1pw to fill in the information.

What am I doing wrong?

Larry

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

When I use Safari, 1pw says it has put the one-time pw in the clipboard for pasting, but pasting does not work as nothing is ther to paste.

Larry

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, the one-time pw is in the clipboard, but is difficult to paste. I try double clickin to do the paste, but it is tacking several tries.

I can get this to work in Safari inspite of the many manual actions. Chrome is mre difficult as openning the login URL is even more of a manual process.

I should be able to select a default browser for 1pw on my iPad. Will see if the I can get this into my ipad setup.

Larry

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2018
    Options

@lwmcmahon

Navigating to web pages is typically the responsibility of the web browser... Most folks either utilize bookmarks within their browser, or, as I personally prefer, use the browser’s auto-complete feature. If I want to access Bank of America, for example, I just start typing ban in the browser’s address bar and the browser auto-completes the address.

1pw does not offer up any timing info when the extension is used, so I am in the dark about the time remaining on the one-time Password.

It does if you view the details of the item (tap the (i) icon next to the item’s title in the extension). By doing so you may have a better experience... Usually what I do is if the TOTP timer is down to less than 10 seconds before a new code I wait until the next one has been generated to proceed.

Ben

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

H,

The browser bookmark idea might work for a small list of most frequently used sites. 1pw holds my login URLs.

I shoulda coulda seen the the “i” thing myself. That works for me.

Still wish there was a way in 1pw to specify the browser to use as the default. I doubt Apple is motivated to permit me to specify a non-safari defaut browser.

Thanks,
    Larry

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. :) Have you tried using auto-complete? I find this to be much more convenient even than bookmarks... can’t remember the last time I’ve navigated to a web page any other way.

Ben

• lwmcmahon
    lwmcmahon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I’m familiar with it. Never considered depending upon it with some 300 accounts. I think I clear it out when I clear browser cache. I will think about it.
    Larry

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2018
    Options

I’ve got over a thousand accounts and it works for me, but whatever works best for you. :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.