2 license family into Families plan--trouble importing wife's passwords

Options
pwbimm
pwbimm
Community Member

Me: iMac now running OS X 10.12.6 and 1P 7.0.4; iPhone with 1P; sync with Dropbox
My wife: Macbook now running OS X 10.12.6 and 1P 7.0.4; iPhone with 1P; sync with Dropbox

We had licenses for previous versions and just started the Families plan. I can see my passwords (vault) on each computer's 1P 7 (that was imported during the setup of 1P 7) but I don't know how to get my wife's passwords into 1P 7 (in a separate vault -- we don't want to mix all our passwords at the present time). On her Macbook, do I use File>Import>1Password 6? If so, which file do I select to import?
Thanks for any help -- I don't see anything about this on the website. Or maybe I just went about this in the wrong way.

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pwbimm - If you created a 1Password Families account, first of all, thanks and welcome! You'll love 1Password Families; it's what I use with my own family, and it's made things so much simpler and more useful. However, yes, you do have to get things set up properly first.

If you created the account yourself, then what you'll want to do is invite your wife. She'll get an email from us on your behalf saying you've invited her to join the family account. When she clicks the link, she'll be taken to a sign-up page much like the one you used to create the account. She'll enter her email address, receive a randomly-generated Secret Key, and choose a Master Password. Once she's done, you'll get a notification that someone is waiting to be confirmed. As soon as you visit your account in a browser and confirm her, she'll have her own Private vault (for her personal stuff), as well as access to the Shared vault. The latter is a great place for information you both need: shared bank accounts/credit cards, the family Netflix login, anything that you both might use/need.

In terms of actually migrating the data from her current standalone setup, it's pretty easy: just have her follow these instructions to add her new account into 1Password for Mac, and then these instructions to move her data into either her Private vault or the Shared vault (depending on preference for each item). Once that's done, she can visit Preferences > Advanced and un-check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." That will remove her (now-empty) Primary vault, leaving her with only her 1Password Families account/vaults.

• pwbimm
    pwbimm
    Community Member
    Options

When I try to add her new account into 1Password for Mac (instruction in the link you provided), I get this error message: "1Password Account Cannot Be Added. A member from [account name] has already been added to 1Password. You cannot add two accounts from the same Family or Team." So, I can't move on to your second instruction about moving her data since her data isn't in 1P.

• Ben
    Options

@pwbimm

You’re doing this on your wife’s MacBook, right? Did you add your 1Password account to her MacBook? If so you’ll need to sign out of that and then sign into her account.

Thanks.

Ben

• pwbimm
    pwbimm
    Community Member
    Options

How do you sign out of an account? This is what I did:

1. On her Macbook, I open 1P7 and go to 1P>Preferences>Accounts.
    2. I see my name (over a "Subscribed" button) with our sign-in address (URL), my email address, my secret key.
    3. I select Account>Sign Into Another Account>Scan Setup Code.
    4. I scan her (not my) Setup Code. (We share a sign-in address/URL and master password, not email address or Secret Key)
    5. I get an error message "1Password Account Cannot Be Added. A member from [account name] has already been added to 1Password."
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pwbimm - you almost had it. In Preferences > Accounts, you'll see a minus button (and a plus button) in the lower left corner of the window. Select the account in the sidebar, then click that minus button. That will remove your account and allow you to add the new one you created for your wife.

• pwbimm
    pwbimm
    Community Member
    Options
    1. On my wife's Macbook I opened 1P7 and logged out of my account per your instructions.
    2. I logged into her account by scanning her Emergency Kit.
    3. Two vaults are shown: Private and Shared, neither of which has her passwords. Shared has no items, and Private shows 3 items: her name, Welcome to 1P, and 1P Account (our account name).

What is the next step for adding all her passwords?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pwbimm - The two vaults you see are both part of your wife's 1Password Families account. Regarding her existing standalone data, if she was syncing to her own separate keychain in Dropbox, was it an Agile Keychain, or an OPVault?

• pwbimm
    pwbimm
    Community Member
    Options

In her Dropbox is a folder named "1Password.agilekeychain" which has some up-to-date files in its Data>Default subfolder. There is also a separate, top-level, old (2013) file named ".ws.agile.1Password.settings".
    Just to be clear, I need to get her password data into our new Families account. I can see my passwords on my iMac (1P7), but I cannot see her passwords on her Macbook (after signing in to her account).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pwbimm -- OK. So, from within 1Password 7 for Mac in her user account on the Mac, go to File > Import and choose the top option, "1Password Keychain." This is specifically for Agile Keychains. Navigate to that 1password.agilekeychain file, and click Open. The data will be imported into whichever vault was selected (probably you should choose "Private," but that's up to you; you can always move some individual items to the other vault, if you like).

• pwbimm
    pwbimm
    Community Member
    Options

The import seemed to work. I can now see her passwords in the 1P7 app on her Macbook. However, I have two questions:

1. I got an error during import that said "Unable to Copy Item to Destination Vault. The file you are trying to import is not in a format 1P can understand." I assume that was about a single item but I can't be sure as there was no additional info given. I think it was about the very first item listed in All Items -- an old, unimportant password.

2. Why is there a disagreement between the number of items shown in 1P (ver. 7.0.6) on her iPhone and 1P7 on her Macbook? For example:
      All Items: 342 (iPhone app)/223 (1P7 on Macbook),
      Logins: 253/164,
      Secure Notes: 17/3,
      Credit Cards: 6/3,
      Passwords: 62/40

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pwbimm

Why is there a disagreement between the number of items shown in 1P (ver. 7.0.6) on her iPhone and 1P7 on her Macbook?

My guess would be that she's got more than just the single vault that you converted from Agile Keychain into her account, on her iPhone. Have a look in 1Password for iOS on her iPhone, at Settings > Vaults and see what vaults are listed there. Then, on her Mac, look in Preferences > Vaults to see if they're the same there. If not, there's your answer. Let me know what you discover.

• pwbimm
    pwbimm
    Community Member
    Options

Her iPhone has one vault, "Primary" with 342 items. 1P7 on her Macbook has two vaults, "Private" with 223 items, and "Shared" with 0 items. I imported from Dropbox>1Password.agilekeychain into the "Private" vault, so I thought that those two vaults should more-or-less match.
    I just did a comparison of 1P items starting with A, B, or C on her iPhone and her Macbook. There are 18 important items (14 logins, 4 secure notes) that did not import to her Macbook. Now I'm worried that items may not have imported during my transition. I did not compare items on my phone and my computer before I converted both to the 1P.com subscription.

• pwbimm
    pwbimm
    Community Member
    Options

I just took a look at my iPhone. I can see the old (I think) "Primary" vault as well as new (I think) vaults at 1P.com ("Private" and "Shared"). Here, also, I'm confused as to why the "Primary" vault has 1350 items, and the "Private" vault has 1415 items.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pwbimm - So, that means she's not yet switched her phone over to running her 1password.com vault(s) only. The way to do that is to follow these instructions to start over on her iPhone. You'll need to do it that way since you can't just remove vaults like you can in 1Password for Mac. When you re-open 1Password for iOS after starting over, sign into your 1password.com account, and you'll have the same items, in sync, on all devices.

• pwbimm
    pwbimm
    Community Member
    Options

I apologize if I'm misunderstanding something, but doesn't this ignore the fact that the Macbook's "Private" vault, after the import, had 119 fewer items than were in the "Primary" vault on Dropbox? Doesn't this imply that something went wrong during the import? If I follow your instructions and switch over her iPhone to our 1P.com account, won't that mean that the Macbook and iPhone will both have 119 items? Again, I apologize if I'm wrong -- this is pretty confusing.
    Thanks for your help.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

@pwbimm You mentioned that you switched from a license plan (this is the Primary Vault you sync with Dropbox) to a family subscription plan (this is the Private/Personal Vault you'll be syncing with). If that's true, then the difference in item counts is likely due to the attachments now being counted separately as Documents. If you had 119 Items with Attachments in the licensed version, the Items will be listed with a link to each of the relevant "newly" added 119 Documents. hth

• pwbimm
    pwbimm
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply, vplewis. But I do think something screwy happened with the import of the old vault ("Primary" on Dropbox) into 1P7's new "Private" vault. I previously posted some numbers that I just don't understand:
    All Items: 342 (iPhone app)/223 (1P7 on Macbook), Logins: 253/164, Secure Notes: 17/3, Credit Cards: 6/3, Passwords: 62/40.
    There's only 1 Document in the new vault. Several logins (with no attachments in them) were not included in the import to 1P7. I may have to go back to buying a license (instead of a subscription) if I can't figure this out.

• Tully
    Tully
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pwbimm,

I can see where you've contacted us over email as well, so I'm going to get back in touch with you there to sort things out – this will let us gather some diagnostics and discuss account specifics. Talk to you soon!

(By the by, @vplewis is correct that the conversion of attachments to Documents when moving to a 1Password membership can account for a higher item count – this would potentially explain why your old Primary vault (1350 items) contains fewer items than your account's Private vault (1415 items), but not why your wife is seeing more items in her old Primary vault than her account – but I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of things!)

ref: FVE-18476-694

• Keith_S
    Keith_S
    Community Member
    Options

We have a similar problem to what user pwbimm is experiencing. I set up a new Family account, then invited my wife to join. She has 1Password 6 on both her iPhone and her MacBook Air. From her MacBook Air she began to walk through the install process for 1Password 7, but once it set up, her vault was empty and we were not prompted in anyway to migrate. Also, 1Password 6 on her MBA became inoperable (seems to have been deleted as part of the install process?) So, her passwords were now inaccessible. When connected to our home WiFi network, her iPhone ALSO shows no passwords. But, when disconnected, she could see them again.

I looked about for her vault, thinking I might be able to import it manually, but she had setup 1Password differently from my setup (my vault was on Dropbox.) I'm assuming that her Mac held the vault, and her iPhone synced with THAT vault. But, when the iPhone is NOT connected to WiFi, it defaults to using a temporary/local vault.

NOTE: My wife does NOT have her secret key from her Mac install.

Is our only option to manually copy the records from her iPhone and input them into 1Password 7?

Is there any risk of her iPhone syncing with the now-empty vault on her Mac and effectively erasing those records?

Is there any way to push the records off her iPhone to her new 1Password 7 install?

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Keith_S: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! 1Password 6 isn't deleted when installing 1Password 7; it's zipped and left in the Applications folder. Can you tell me what you mean by this though?

When connected to our home WiFi network, her iPhone ALSO shows no passwords. But, when disconnected, she could see them again. [...] when the iPhone is NOT connected to WiFi, it defaults to using a temporary/local vault.

1Password doesn't use different data based on how you're connecting (or not) to the internet. Please let me know the specific things you're doing so we can figure out that's going on. Perhaps you have multiple copies of 1Password on the device.

To be clear, you will only have a Secret Key if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s also the only way you’ll have a Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Did you subscribe to that?

If not, let me know the OS and 1Password versions you're using on the device that has all of your data, if/how you're syncing the data, and we'll go from there.

• Keith_S
    Keith_S
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty : Thanks for your response. My wife's MacBook Air is on v10.13.6 (MacOS High Sierra), and she has an active v7 of 1Password on the machine with NO data in her vault, as well as a .ZIP archive called "1Password.app.zip" in her Applications directory. On her iPhone, the iOS version is 11.4, and I believe the version there is v7.0.6. It looks like the 1Password app was originally purchased through the App Store or iTunes, it was 1Password v5.3, purchased on 4/12/15.

Is there any problem with unzipping the 1Password v6 archive and relaunching it on the Mac?

I've always been a bit confused about Apple's cloud syncing. Here's my guess as to what is happening (and it may answer your query about the connected/not connected to WiFi access on her iPhone):

When we installed v7 of 1Password on the Mac, it zipped v6, effectively hiding the local vault. The iPhone was set (possibly?) to prioritize the copy of the vault on the Mac (accessed via "WLAN" setting in 1Password) and, when hooked to our home WiFi network, it initially reported the equivalent of "no vault available" when it tried to access that version. Thus, our initial panic that we'd lost the passwords.

However, since my wife syncs her Mac with iCloud, I suspect that her 1Password v6 vault is there, and her iPhone (once it is limited to using the cell network) accesses _that _version of the vault. Thus, when we relaunched 1Password on her iPhone, her iPhone synced with the iCloud version of the vault (unless the iPhone somehow stores a version of the vault locally.)

Any advice on how to proceed to getting her passwords migrated to the new v7 Family account would be appreciated.

BTW, once we've resolved this, I have some further questions about 1Password's vault syncing system, but I don't want to confuse this issue further. Staying focused. K|:-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Is there any problem with unzipping the 1Password v6 archive and relaunching it on the Mac?

@Keith_S: None whatsoever. And I suspect it will pick up the existing data she'd be using there as well. Just make sure you drag 1Password 7 to the Trash and restart the Mac first, to avoid any conflicts from having both.

The iPhone was set (possibly?) to prioritize the copy of the vault on the Mac (accessed via "WLAN" setting in 1Password) and, when hooked to our home WiFi network, it initially reported the equivalent of "no vault available" when it tried to access that version. Thus, our initial panic that we'd lost the passwords.

Ohhh. Yeah, WLAN Server is completely separate from iCloud sync. That would definitely account for some of the confusion.

However, since my wife syncs her Mac with iCloud, I suspect that her 1Password v6 vault is there, and her iPhone (once it is limited to using the cell network) accesses _that _version of the vault. Thus, when we relaunched 1Password on her iPhone, her iPhone synced with the iCloud version of the vault (unless the iPhone somehow stores a version of the vault locally.)

My concern is that you may be creating some weird sync conflicts by using both WLAN Server and iCloud. The best thing to do would be to go back to 1Password 6 on the Mac, verify that all of the data is there, and then I can give you instructions on how to proceed.

Any advice on how to proceed to getting her passwords migrated to the new v7 Family account would be appreciated.

First thing we need to do is establish 1Password on a device with all of her existing data, so let me know how it goes and we'll take it from there.

BTW, once we've resolved this, I have some further questions about 1Password's vault syncing system, but I don't want to confuse this issue further. Staying focused. K|:-)

Good call. Happy to answer any other questions later on. :)

• Keith_S
    Keith_S
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Thank you, again.

Will moving 1Password v7 to the trash invalidate the setup already done for my wife on our Family account? (She is confirmed, has a key, and an (empty) vault)

Since her iPhone is currently accessing a vault, is there any way to confirm where that vault is located? (e.g., locally on the phone, synced with iCloud, or both?)

When I ran my 1Password v7 install on my Mac (with vault on Dropbox) I was given the option to delete my previous vault. I've worked with computers for over 30 years and learned the hard way NEVER to delete data until I was able to verify that a new install was up and fully functional. Is there a reason for the delete prompt?

Is it possible to copy a vault and have a different copy of the 1Password application (assuming same version) access that vault? (Also assuming I have a vault password for the vault. Though my assumption is that an individual install of 1Password shares encryption keys with vaults it creates, thus making this NOT possible.)

My plan is to isolate the phone from the Mac during the 1Password v6 unzipping. Once I have 1Password v6 up and running, I'll try to verify the vault storage options. (Though I suspect it's a MacOS setting that handles any interaction with iCloud, and iOS + 1Password for iPhone just leverage that, as opposed to 1Password being the originator of the iCloud storage option. Feel free to correct that assumption if I'm wrong. iCloud syncing priorities were too opaque to me when I was first working with it, so I moved to Dropbox for my personal stuff. My wife stuck with iCloud.)

Thanks again!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Keith_S

Will moving 1Password v7 to the trash invalidate the setup already done for my wife on our Family account?

No. A 1password.com account can be used on as many 1Password apps as you like, or none at all (web-only). What you do with the actual apps themselves has no effect on what's true and what exists on the 1password.com server.

Since her iPhone is currently accessing a vault, is there any way to confirm where that vault is located?

That kind of depends what you mean. The vault is ALWAYS on the phone itself, because 1Password keeps an internal SQLite database. It may also be synced with iCloud or Dropbox, but you could visit Settings > Sync and turn off the syncing, and the vault itself would still definitely on the phone.

When I ran my 1Password v7 install on my Mac (with vault on Dropbox) I was given the option to delete my previous vault. I've worked with computers for over 30 years and learned the hard way NEVER to delete data until I was able to verify that a new install was up and fully functional. Is there a reason for the delete prompt?

I can't say for certain, but it sounds as if your sync keychain in Dropbox may have been in the now-retired Agile Keychain format. Agile Keychain was our first sync keychain after leaving the Mac system keychain itself. It was great, in its day, but it's more than ten years old now, and we made the decision to retire it in version 7 of both 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows. So, if you had keychains that had not yet been converted to the newer OPVault format prior to upgrading to version 7, this process was performed as close to automatically as possible (still need your consent). You're not wrong about wanting to make sure that things are working before deleting old, functional installs. But this again is part of the fact that 1Password always has an internal SQLite database which is entirely separate from the sync keychain used. Regardless of what happened to the sync keychain, that SQLite database would be unaffected.

Is it possible to copy a vault and have a different copy of the 1Password application (assuming same version) access that vault? (Also assuming I have a vault password for the vault. Though my assumption is that an individual install of 1Password shares encryption keys with vaults it creates, thus making this NOT possible.)

I'm not sure what you're asking here. If you have a 1Password Families account, then there's no need for "copying vaults." You just put your data where you want (Personal/Private vault or the Shared vault) and sign in from any device you like, and there will be your data. If you mean standalone vaults...can you clarify what you're trying to do here for me? In fact, would you mind giving me an overview of what you'd like to ultimately accomplish, here? Tell us what you'd like to see as a final product: standalone or 1password.com? 1Password 6 or 1Password 7? How many vaults and in what kind of sharing configuration.

• Keith_S
    Keith_S
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars: Thanks for the info. When I first encountered this problem, it was after business hours so I posted here in the support forum as well as sending an email to support. I've gotten some input from Frank in support, and the picture for my wife's Mac is getting clearer, I think, but not yet solved. I'm sharing here in case others have similar problems, in hopes that it'll help.

To the best of my memory, when we were walking through the 1Password 7 install process on my wife’s Mac, the sync was set to “WLAN”. My suspicion is that the Mac was hosting the vault that her iPhone is synced to, and once we installed 1Password 7 (and ZIP-archived the 1Password v6 install), her iPhone had nothing to sync with (and so initially showed no password data), then reverted to it’s local copy of the vault. (I had earlier thought it was getting this data from iCloud backup, but now I suspect this is **not **the case.)

Frank walked me through the process for setting up a vault in 1Password 7 on her Mac, and then how to sync it with the vault on her iCloud backup. Sadly, it looks like that vault was last synced around the time in 2015 when we originally installed 1Password.

On the dialog box for entering the password for the vault 1Password 7 found on iCloud, it said, "Last modified on July 11, 2015".

I’d guess I’m going to have to reload 1Password 6 on her Mac. Set it to sync with the vault on iCloud, then follow the directions from Frank's email to sync 1Password 7 with the updated iCloud vault. From @brenty's comments above, it sounds like I’ll have to delete the 1Password 7 install on her Mac to make 1Password 6 useable again.

Thanks for the help. I feel like I have a little better understanding about where the data is now, but we've still got a ways to go to get everything set up in one Family account on 1Password 7, with private vaults for each of us.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Keith_S -

Thanks for the info. When I first encountered this problem, it was after business hours so I posted here in the support forum as well as sending an email to support.

You're quite welcome! Can I ask a favor of you for the future, however? If you have a question or an issue for us, pick one of our support channels and go with that one only. Our support works by answering whoever's been waiting longest, so there'll always be some amount of wait, but we're usually pretty quick to reply. Immediately after a big release or update, things may take a little longer. But when we have to stop and coordinate replies to the same question among multiple team members over multiple points of contact, it adds to the confusion and slows down support times for everyone, including you. Thanks! Because we're at the point of discussing the details of your specific setup, let's keep the conversation going via email at this point, if you don't mind. :)

• Keith_S
    Keith_S
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @Lars. I'll shift off to the email channel. I appreciate the info and the assistance.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018
    Options

Sounds good! If you have any questions just reply via email and we'll be happy to assist. :) :+1:

ref: SHJ-91772-671

This discussion has been closed.