Slow performance in 1Password 7.2 [7.2.580 update will be out soon, more improvements coming in 7.3]

komocode
komocode
Community Member
edited September 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

When I launch Chrome, click on 1Password extension, type in my password to unlock, then click on the 1Password extension, the extension takes about 20 seconds to appear.

I also noticed when I edit something (like changing a password) in the 1Password Windows app, then click save, 1Password freezes for 5 seconds.

I checked the console, and anything I do in 1Password generates a bunch of these warnings:
W 2018-06-01 19:50:32Z 8,189,797ms Workspace 7 "opv attachment import failed, bad attachment signature and version. item uuid: .; attachment uuid: (UUID HERE)

1Password Version: 7.0.558
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 1803 17134.48
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @komocode,

Thank you for reporting this! :+1: Sorry for the troubles.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your PC, where you have these issues, so we could take a closer look at what is going on:

Sending Diagnostics Reports

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+windows@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostic Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report. Thanks again!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Bruikbaar
    Bruikbaar
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

I have the exact (well...) same issues...
    I'll send a diagnostic report to the provided email-address.
    From Chrome, on a mac... and it takes way more than 20 seconds... :(

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@Bruikbaar: This topic is about 1Password for Windows. Since Mac is completely different from Windows, the reason for your issue can also be quite different from the one discussed here.

I have found your report on our side and we will try to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• realtvater
    realtvater
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

I am also experiencing tremendously slow performance with 1Password on Windows 10, and have been for quite a while now. It feels so much slower lately that I finally threw in the towel and decided to do some digging. macOS is my primary computer, which isn't sluggish in the least. As for Windows, I can execute the command or click the extension all day long but nothing happens for 10-15 seconds. Once the small window pops up and I select the password to fill, it takes yet another 10-15 seconds until it finally fills the input fields. Then, it takes another 10-15 seconds to "submit". By that time, I've already just gone ahead and hit submit myself. I have a high-end gaming rig and do not have any issues with performance for anything else. I'm positive this is just a 1Password/Windows issue.

Also, as a suggestion, I wish that when I fired off the command to fill in login credentials that if only 1 single login exists it would just go ahead and fill in the fields and not pop up to show me the single existing login for me to select, and THEN fills the fields. macOS behaves exactly like I've described with no issue. The small extension window only pops up when there's more than 1 login to select from. If there's 1, it just fills and submits.

• komocode
    komocode
    Community Member

I sent the diagnostic report a while back. One month later, still experiencing slow performance.

• realtvater
    realtvater
    Community Member

Well that's just sad. This slow performance has been going on for a looooong while though. A long long while. It has only gotten worse since updating to the latest version of 1Password (a month or so ago?) and updating my Windows 10 version to the latest as well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@komocode, @realtvater: Thanks for the feedback. We've been busy working on some things behind the scenes to help speed things up when 1Password is trying to do many things at once, including syncing data. We hope to have a beta available soon. Would you be willing to give that a try once that's available?

• realtvater
    realtvater
    Community Member

@brenty Absolutely.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@realtvater: Thank you kindly! We'll let you know once we have something for you to test.

But to clarify, is there a particular context in which you're seeing performance issues? For example, for a time after waking from sleep, or launching at first, when 1Password is syncing everything in the background?

• komocode
    komocode
    Community Member

@brenty I wouldn't mind testing the beta for the purposes of addressing this issue.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@komocode: Thanks for letting me know! We'll be in touch once we have something to share publicly, and if you have a sense of the context in which you're seeing performance issues let me know so I can try to associate it with the correct issue. That way when we have a specific fix in the area that's affecting you, we can let you know. :)

ref: OPW-2268

• realtvater
    realtvater
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

I don’t have any specific context, honestly. It’s all the time while I’m using Windows. I do use Chrome and could try downloading Firefox to see if it also experiences the same slow performance issue. That would at least eliminate that it’s not a Chrome-specific issue on Windows. Other than that, I can’t think of anything else to try and associate it with because the sluggishness is all the time no matter if I’m just waking the computer or launching 1Password for the first doesn’t as you pointed out in your examples. Nothing like that seems to matter.

Anyway, I’ll report back once I’ve tested Firefox.

• komocode
    komocode
    Community Member

@brenty For me, it happens when I unlock 1Password via Chrome extension. Once I unlock, then I click on the Chrome extension again, it takes anywhere from 20 seconds to 45 seconds for the panel to appear. This happens regardless if it was the first time 1Password is being unlocked today or if it's the 5 time being unlocked.

Editing passwords and saving them takes several seconds before 1Password becomes responsive again..

• realtvater
    realtvater
    Community Member

I agree with @komocode has described as well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@realtvater: It should pretty much be the same between browsers, as the 1Password app is still doing all of the heavy lifting with regard to crypto, sync, and UI. I know that's counterintuitive when you're clicking a button in the browser, but it's true! :)

However, the rest of this is pretty interesting...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@komocode: If I'm understanding you correctly, you're only experiencing performance issues when using 1Password in the browser? That would surprise me. But it's possible that's just where you use 1Password most of the time. When you're experiencing a delay, is it ever in the main 1Password window? Try opening it if you weren't already. Weirdly, I'd hope that you'd experience the same delay there, as that at least would tell us it's something we're aware of. But 25-40 seconds before 1Password mini even shows does sound a bit different than what I was expecting. I'm thinking more along the lines of 1Password mini appears, but it takes a bit for all of the data to populate and update (due to sync). This concerns me even more:

Editing passwords and saving them takes several seconds before 1Password becomes responsive again..

Is this every time? Can you walk me through the steps leading up to that? It's possible that the optimizations and performance-enhancing changes we're working on will help with this as well, but it strikes me as different from my own experience. Even on my fairly underpowered Surface I'm not seeing this kind of delay.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@realtvater, @komocode: Question: Are you using local vaults, 1Password.com accounts, or both?

I know komocode referenced Dropbox initially, but I'd rather not assume that's the whole story. I'm using both myself, but I'd at least like to try to narrow the scope of what we need to be looking for.

• realtvater
    realtvater
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

@brenty Everything you just said above about mini taking forever to pop up is exactly what I’m experiencing. Not mini popping up and then forever to load the data. That’s not the issue I’m having. The data loads fine whenever mini does pop up. I’m also not experiencing any performance issues with 1Password itself (the standalone app). I can edit and save passwords just fine within that. It’s only in the browser, even when I’ve already unlocked 1P in the standalone app and try to get mini to pop up and fill a login is when these performance issues with mini occur.

I used to have a local vault synced over Dropbox for the longest time. Then I switched over to a 1P.com family account maybe 6 months ago. Like I said though I’ve been experiencing performance delay with mini for quite a while on Windows. Just never really felt concerned about it until recently. But I have used both, just not at the same time.

• oryschakj
    oryschakj
    Community Member

My account is wholly with 1Password, not Dropbox, and I've experienced the issue in both Chrome and Edge and not the standalone app. Here's the ID from my support email with the log: [#YPP-11327-447]

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@oryschakj: Thanks for sending that. We'll see if there's some information there that can help us improve performance in a future update. :)

ref: YPP-11327-447

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@realtvater: Thank you for confirming. We'll be in touch once we have a beta for you to try. :)

ref: OPW-2058

• realtvater
    realtvater
    Community Member

@brenty Sounds good, thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for your patience while we work on this, and your willingness to test the changes we make! :chuffed: :+1:

• komocode
    komocode
    Community Member

@brenty Dropbox. I've recorded the exact steps of what I'm experiencing. This is on a fresh boot of Windows. https://cl.ly/tJef

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

@komocode: I'm not sure what's wrong with your mouse, but the current beta may help with 1Password a bit, since we've made some optimizations to make it more responsive shortly after unlocking. If you're willing to try it, just opt-in to the beta and let me know if you see some improvement. I suspect it will help to some extent, and we'll be continuing this work as 7.2 and 7.3 develop. Let me know how it goes!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@realtvater: We had a bit of a rocky start with the first beta for 7.2, but I'd love it if you'd try the latest to see if that makes 1Password more responsive in your case. Just opt-in to the beta, and you'll get the latest in short order. Let me know if that helps!

• komocode
    komocode
    Community Member

@brenty I'll give it a shot. not sure what you mean by my mouse, it's just me moving it around while waiting for the panel to appear. if you mean it's super big, then it's just my screen recorder recording the mouse differently.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@oryschakj: I'm less certain about your case, but if you're willing to try the beta I'd be interested to hear if it improves things for you. Let me know either way. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@komocode: Ah that makes more sense. The erratic movement confused me. I thought maybe there was something else going on with your input device/driver. Let me know how it goes. :)

• komocode
    komocode
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

@brenty i just installed windows chrome extension: 4.7.2.90 and 1Password beta 7.2.573 (I rebooted after) and am experiencing the same performance issue (extension taking 50 seconds to become responsive and 1Password taking a long time to edit a password). Pretty much the same things happened in the video I posted.

This discussion has been closed.