Select account to fill form when website is not auto-detected

I am currently trying to move to 1Password and have imported my data from my previous cross-platform KeePass based setup. This means that most of my entries don't have the "website" property set, so that 1Password doesn't know which item to suggest when I want to auto-fill a form.

See screenshot:

My intuition suggested that clicking "Login" from the dropdown would prompt me to select a Login from my Vault manually. However, nothing happens. The dropdown just vanishes and then re-appears after a few milliseconds.

Is this behavior desired? is there another way to manually select which login it should use to fill the form?

I am using 1Password X in Chrome on an Ubuntu machine.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey @simplesurfer,

Sorry for the confusion! The inline menu categories are relatively new, and we need to do a better job letting you know we can't show something that's not there.

In your case, there are no login items available for the domain you are on. 1Password won't offer to fill login items unless the domain you're on matches one of the websites listed on the login item. This is simply more convenient for most folks who save new items using their web browser. However, and most importantly, this provides a level of phishing protection. If you happen upon a phishing website, one of the first indications should be 1Password doesn't offer your login item to be filled.

As an additional security measure, when you select to fill an item, 1Password generates a fill script (containing the username, password, etc.) but we also set a list of domains (based on the item you selected) that it's valid to be filled on. This helps us combat a few different attack vectors, but also means you can't choose a random login item in 1Password and have it fill on any website.

Unfortunately, or fortunately (depending on if you enjoy these security measures), you'll need first to edit your items and add any websites you want them to be fillable on. Alternatively, you could copy and paste your username and password from your imported items and save new ones containing the appropriate website details.

That was slightly long-winded, but I hope it helped! Please let me know if you have any questions and thanks for using 1Password!

-Beyer

• simplesurfer
    simplesurfer
    Community Member

Thanks for clearing this up. So the confusion is simply that the inline menu displays multiple... "headlines" with no entries below, is that right? So I'm just trying to click one of these headlines now? This wasn't obvious to me.

Your explanation wrt. the security mechanism makes total sense. I guess the best way for me to prepare my imported accounts is to go through them one by one and manually enter a valid url. Tedious, but will be a one-time thing, and then I should be set.

To expand on this, can you briefly tell me how this works inside native apps (Android)? I think I have sometimes seen the "browse" button in the 1Password dialog, so I am assuming that this is happening when I am inside a native app, and not in a browser form. Is this correct, or am I mixing this up with something else?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for clearing this up. So the confusion is simply that the inline menu displays multiple... "headlines" with no entries below, is that right? So I'm just trying to click one of these headlines now? This wasn't obvious to me.

@simplesurfer: I think there is room for improvement, so thank you for your feedback on this! Indeed, you'd have to have a matching login for the URL to get anything listed for Logins. Originally I think it would have been even more confusing, when only Logins were shown in the inline menu at all. So it would have just been empty when you clicked the icon. Of course that will happen on any site now where there's no matching logins, but 1Password X is now also able to offer Credit Card and Identity filling inline — the latter of which often comes in handy on a site you don't have a login for yet, if you need to enter personal details to sign up for an account before saving a login in 1Password. :)

Your explanation wrt. the security mechanism makes total sense. I guess the best way for me to prepare my imported accounts is to go through them one by one and manually enter a valid url. Tedious, but will be a one-time thing, and then I should be set.

I had to do something similar a while back, and I found that just fixing a few here and there as I needed to use the info anyway made it much more manageable. And it's also an opportunity to save the specific URL you'd want 1Password to take you to — for example, for the sign in page. A minute or two here and there making tweaks like that saves me a ton of time in the long run. :)

To expand on this, can you briefly tell me how this works inside native apps (Android)? I think I have sometimes seen the "browse" button in the 1Password dialog, so I am assuming that this is happening when I am inside a native app, and not in a browser form. Is this correct, or am I mixing this up with something else?

I think at least part of the confusion is that there are at least three different ways to fill on Android, since not everyone is on the latest OS. That way we also have a fallback when specific apps don't support Google's latest tools too. If you have specific questions about that, feel free to post in the Android category so we can go into more detail. But I believe wha you're referring to is the accessibility filling feature. Since without Google's Android Autofill being available in all cases 1Password can't get information about the app/website you're trying to use it at, it allows you to associate a login with an app/website if you want to use it there on an ongoing basis. Essentially, it's like saving multiple URLs to logins on other platforms, but it also works with app "URLs". :)

This discussion has been closed.