macOS 10.14 Safari Compatibility

heavymark
heavymark
Community Member

Currently it appears 1P is incompatible with macOS 10.14 with the default browser. Safari no longer supports self installed extensions and has to be an app extension. Does anyone know if this will be released in the next few days or for the forseaable future will 1P in the default browser not be supported. Or does installing the MAS version of the app resolve the issue? Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• leerussell
    leerussell
    Community Member

I'm on 10.14 and using App Store version 6.8.9 of 1password. I got the same message but it worked when I installed the extension from https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C

Hope this helps.

• Luke240
    Luke240
    Community Member

I’m on 10.14 and using 7.0. That link works for me as well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Probably not in the next few days. Our developers need to take some time to learn about all of the news stuff before they can even work with it, and we're less than 24 hours into WWDC. I'm sure we'll have more to share in the coming weeks and months though. :)

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2018

Hi folks.

If you are having trouble with 1Password in Safari 12 please install the 1Password extension from the Safari extension gallery: https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C

Thanks!

Ben

• RyanPoirier
    RyanPoirier
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

This just in, Version 58 of Safari Technology Preview is now requiring the same, even on High Sierra.

https://developer.apple.com/safari/technology-preview/release-notes/

• jonbeebe
    jonbeebe
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Thankfully the previous link to the one in the Safari Extension Gallery works great for the time being (on High Sierra using STP 58).

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

@leerussell
    Thank you very much

• RyanPoirier
    RyanPoirier
    Community Member

@jonbeebe

That's great, cause I hit the "More Extensions" button and it took me to the Mac App Store. Thought I was SOoL!

• jeffhunterx
    jeffhunterx
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

Why did you remove the content talking about how AgileBits tried to use Safari App Extensions for 1Password 7 and failed, due to the fact that Safari App Extensions are incredibly limited compared to old-style .safariextz extensions, which are being deprecated and killed off in Mojave?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jeffhunterx: We're still very much working on a Safari app extension, so it isn't exactly history. From what I've heard from Apple, Safari extensions are being deprecated, which is different from them being "killed off", so those work just fine today, with the proviso that they must be installed directly from Apple. But we're working on the Safari app extension all the same so that 1Password can continue integrating with Safari far into the future as well. I imagine when extensions are "killed off" by Apple that they'll also shut down the gallery. Cheers! :)

• Fofer
    Fofer
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

"Support for .safariextz-style Safari Extensions installed from the Safari Extensions Gallery is deprecated with Safari 12 on macOS. Submissions to the Safari Extensions Gallery will no longer be accepted after December 2018. Developers are encouraged to transition to Safari App Extensions."

https://developer.apple.com/safari/whats-new/

This news is concerning... not because of 1Password, which I know is already poised to adapt properly. But because of my carefully-curated cornucopia of old-yet-excellent Safari extensions. If Mojave prevents me from using those, it's a deal-breaker :(

• jeffhunterx
    jeffhunterx
    Community Member

@brenty Support for .safariextz extensions that are not distributed via the Safari Extensions Gallery is being killed off in Mojave:

"Support for developer-signed .safariextz Safari Extensions in Safari 12 on macOS has been removed. They no longer appear in Safari preferences and cannot be enabled. On first launch users will receive a warning notification and these extension will not load."

https://developer.apple.com/safari/whats-new/

Support for .safariextz extensions that are distributed via the Safari Extensions Gallery still exists in Mojave, but it sounds like it will be impossible for those extensions to be updated after December 2018:

"Support for .safariextz-style Safari Extensions installed from the Safari Extensions Gallery is deprecated with Safari 12 on macOS. Submissions to the Safari Extensions Gallery will no longer be accepted after December 2018. Developers are encouraged to transition to Safari App Extensions."

Given that Safari App Extensions are very limited compared to .safariextz extensions, and this thread previously mentioned that AgileBits tried and failed to use Safari App Extensions for 1Password 7, what is your plan for after December 2018? This thread previously mentioned that AgileBits needed changes from Apple to make a Safari App Extension viable, but I've scoured the developer docs for Mojave, and it does not appear that there is anything new in Safari App Extensions for Mojave.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jeffhunterx: I dunno, everyone else running Mohave seems to be able to install the extension from Apple's gallery just fine. Are you getting an error?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

@Fofer: That makes sense. I think a lot of this might be confusion over the word "deprecated" though: they still work. December is an eternity away in technology terms. There's plenty of time for everyone to get their ducks in a row — especially considering Safari app extensions aren't a new thing.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I've long avoided using a lot of extensions since they often want some pretty broad permissions. I don't need (or want) them to be able to "read and modify" stuff I fill with 1Password.

• goughac
    goughac
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

TouchID stopped working for me so I had the clever idea to uninstall everything and start again. Having removed the Safari extension, it appeared that I could not reinstall it from the link given several times above.

The link above goes directly to the extensions page but did not show an 'install now' link. More digging and I discovered that going to the Extensions Home Page https://safari-extensions.apple.com then to the product page gave the right link. HTH.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, Apple is changing Safari in the short term to only work with extensions from their gallery. This is a direct link to 1Password there:

https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C

And long-term, traditional Safari extensions will be going away, with only Safari app extensions being supported. Clear as mud, right? :lol:

• @goughac,

if you're on 10.14 then Touch ID not working is a known issue that will be resolved in a future 10.14 update.

• goughac
    goughac
    Community Member

@rudy That's super helpful. Counting down for the next 2 week.

• @goughac,

I'm hoping tomorrow.

• michis0806
    michis0806
    Community Member

Hmm, I'm trying to install the 1Password extension from the Apple gallery right now. But I don't get the "install" Button any more. Any thoughts on that?
    Safari 12.0 (14606.1.24.40.1) on macOS 10.14 Beta (18A336e) - German language setting...

Thanks
    Michael

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@michis0806: Do you have content blockers that are messing with Apple's website? We don't have any control over that or Safari itself, but others have found that to be the cause.

• michis0806
    michis0806
    Community Member

@brenty I tried to download it as my first task on a fresh MacBook. But I managed to install it right now when I opened the Plugin-Page via the main site of https://safari-extensions.apple.com and clicked on 1Password. I am forwarded to the very same Plugin-Page, but the "Install" button appears %)

• michis0806
    michis0806
    Community Member

@brenty I can reproduce this issue on both of my MacBooks running macOS 10.14...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy8ZMC6Zfbs
    Very strange...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

Huh. I can't think of a reason why that wouldn't be working for you. Maybe there's something specifically related to Mojave. It doesn't seem to be a Safari 12 thing, as it works here in High Sierra. Curious.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2018

I have heard other reports that navigating from the gallery home page, rather than the direct link, will cause the install button to show up. I’m not sure what the reason for that is, but we’ll do more digging and see if we need to update our instructions accordingly. Thanks for the report!

Ben

• zx9r
    zx9r
    Community Member

I found that just doing a refresh of the page will have the "install" button show up

• zx9r
    zx9r
    Community Member

Should have mentioned that it doesn't work at all for me anyway... just a quick flash of the main 1PW window when trying to fill in a user/pw which immediately goes back to the webpage without filling in any fields.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I found that just doing a refresh of the page will have the "install" button show up

@zx9r: Thanks for sharing that! Perhaps that will work for others as well. :)

Should have mentioned that it doesn't work at all for me anyway... just a quick flash of the main 1PW window when trying to fill in a user/pw which immediately goes back to the webpage without filling in any fields.

I'm sorry to hear that. There have been a lot of people using extensions from Apple's Safari gallery, as that is the only thing supported in Safari 12 currently (as far as the old-style extensions). Apple has announced that they will stop accepting new gallery submissions next year, but it's still usable for people using Safari 12, Mohave, or any recent version of the browser and OS.

However, a few people seem to be having beta issues with it. In most cases content blockers or a more general browser issue seem to be the cause. Disabling or reloading the page can help. You can find more details here.

We cannot offer a solution for this ourselves though, as the browser, OS, and website in question are solely under Apple's control. But if you'll provide more details perhaps we can offer some suggestions. So far though, those mentioned above are the only things that have worked, short of using a stable browser and OS release.

• zx9r
    zx9r
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty. I realize I'm running a beta and things like this are to be expected so no worries. Just wanted to let others know they are not alone...

I do use Ghostery. I just tried again by disabling it. Same behavior. Hopefully the next Mojave beta will improve upon this.

This discussion has been closed.