Are we being strong armed into renting a 1password 'membership' after we purchased a license?

Options
meatball
meatball
Community Member

I've never been a big fan of the clear push to getting people to start renting 1password on a monthly basis. Maybe it's me, but I like paying for software and continuing to support it when major upgrades occur. This feels like those of us that paid for 1pw are being strong armed into a membership some of us don't want/need. Im really hoping this isn't the case but I have some questions that aren't clearly outlined on your site.

Will we no longer see new features/be forever stuck on V6 and essentially get pushed into having to rent a 'membership'? (IE be ignored here going forward)

I have to say even when companies change the way customers can pay for use, rarely do they punish it's original customers. We usually get to benefit from being the ones that came on board originally. That's not to say we shouldn't pay for upgrades, we should. But to essentially strong arm us into having to rent the software on a monthly basis after we purchased it is very unfortunate and morally questionable.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@meatball I share your aversion to subscription software. However:

Will we no longer see new features/be forever stuck on V6 and essentially get pushed into having to rent a 'membership'? (IE be ignored here going forward)

You can still buy a standalone licence for 1Password 7 so long as you download 1Password 7 from the AgileBits' store and not from the App Store (as the latter supports only the subscription model). There are some hoops you have to jump through in order to avoid being lured into taking out a trial subscription and the 1Password support site is less than helpful on that particular issue but buying a licence is do-able with care.

In summary, there's no current indication that AgileBits will abandon standlone licences...and I suspect if it were to do so a material proportion of its customer base might look elsewhere for a password manager.

Please note that I'm merely a user and, of course, these are my personal views. :)

Stephen

• meatball
    meatball
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a lot for following up Stephen. I do appreciate it. As you can tell my frustration with 1pw has hit it's peak.
    if you do upgrade to v7, do you lose any features that were available on v6?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@meatball:

if you do upgrade to v7, do you lose any features that were available on v6?

Yes, I think there are some minor ones (maybe like being able to sort favourites)—but I suspect they're more in the nature of refinements not yet introduced in 1Password 7. However, the way 1Password mini works and the form of it are quite different and may take a little getting used to. You'll find plenty of posts on the forum about that. I'm also by no means convinced that problems with open and fill (for login pages) have yet been resolved—and there are lots of posts about that, too. There is certainly more "refinement" of 1Password 7 still required, in my view.

In general terms, I think the upgrade to 1Password 7 is worthwhile—if only because 1Password 6 will no longer be developed. You've probably already seen this AgileBits' blog entry introducing 1Password 7 but, in case you've not, it's worth a look.

Stephen

• meatball
    meatball
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Stephen for the info, It's very appreciated. I'm happy to pay for the upgrade. I have no issue there and I think it's fair. I just dont want to pay for a new license that's removed features from the earlier version (this was stated in some other comments). Sounds like this isn't the case, thanks for clearing this up for me.

• rudy
    Options

@meatball,

Its also worth mentioning that Folders have been formally retired, in favor of Hierarchical Tags. And that the agilekeychain format has been also formally retired as well, so moving to OPVault is no longer optional.

This discussion has been closed.