Mojave public beta (18A336e) has issues with 1Password Extension Helper (or vice-versa)

testastretta
testastretta
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

The extension helper for the application 1Password, as of 18A336e, is now requesting permission to access the Accessibility portion of Privacy under Security. I don't know why it needs this, but I granted it. Despite that, every time I unlock 1Password for usage, I am prompted with a dialog that the 1Password Extension Helper needs access to this resource. I must open the Preferences Panel or deny it; there is no dismissing the dialog. I don't need to do anything but open it, and can then proceed since it's already been given previous authorisation.

I've filed a bug with Apple just now. Enclosed are two screen shots.

1Password Version: 7.1.BETA-0 (70100000)
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: 10.14 beta (18A336e)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@testastretta - sorry for the trouble. Apple are making some substantial changes under the hood in Mojave, such as the elimination of developer-signed extensions, which will be followed by the eventual removal of the entire Safari Extensions Gallery. Auto-submit is also being deprecated, which this appears to be the first step towards. If you want to solve this and avoid being constantly prompted, you'll need to turn off autosubmit in Preferences > Browsers ("Automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords").

• testastretta
    testastretta
    Community Member

@Lars Thank you for a prompt (no pun intended) reply. I assume this also explains why, for most sites, I am not seeing the old behaviour of the "login" button being auto-submitted i.e. I must push it manually? This has been the case since before I reported the bug for Accessibility.

If only Apple would document API changes in advance for its developers :|

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@testastretta - probably, though I can't say with 100% certainty. I agree some documentation would be helpful, but we're living out here on the bleeding edge; often times the spec itself isn't written, let alone the documentation. ¯(º_o)/¯

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

Please advise when this will be fixed on Agile side
    I'll keep a bookmark for this thread

Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Gilles9 - I can't advise that, because I really don't know -- I don't think any of us do at this point. Bleeding-edge betas aren't something we give timelines for, just as Apple doesn't, because often unexpected issues crop up or other matters bear on it. If you're in a production environment where this is a real roadblock to your day-to-day productivity, I'd recommend that you switch to either Chrome or Firefox which (as far as I know, as of this writing) don't have the same problems as Safari does in this respect.

• nesl247
    nesl247
    Community Member

Actually this happens in Chrome. I haven’t even tried safari.

• @Gilles9,

The only thing for sure is that the "automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords" will be officially retired when we ship 1Password 7.2. Until then you can untick that setting to get it to stop prompting you to allow accessibility access.

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

@rudy Good to know
    I am eager for 7.2........
    Thanks for your answer

• @gilles9,

No, I'm eager for 7.2.

• mujtaba_mir
    mujtaba_mir
    Community Member

I have had this issue too. Since it is enabled in macOS settings already, I chose "deny" on the prompt and haven't seen it since then. Maybe this can help?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mujtaba_mir - thanks for the tip! I don't know whether that's something that can work for everyone, but if you're having this issue, it might be worth trying.

• mujtaba_mir
    mujtaba_mir
    Community Member

No problem Lars. Just to add to it. It doesn’t show the prompt again until you do a restart (which I hardly do). If you want me to send you diagnostics that can help in anyway, let me know.

• @mujtaba_mir,

Thanks for your comments, but a diagnostics report won't be necessary here. I have it on my todo list to remove the autosubmit functionality in time for 1Password 7.2.

• dannilundgren
    dannilundgren
    Community Member

This thread was very helpful, thank you. :)
    Removing autosubmit makes sense, especially when more sites offers 2FA, where autosubmit can cause trouble.

Disabling it solves the issue.

• chrisdeeming
    chrisdeeming
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

I wouldn't be so hasty to remove it. Mojave Dev Beta 5 seems to have fixed the issue.

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

:)

• @chrisdeeming,

The prompting issue seems to be resolved, but autosubmit definitely doesn't work with Safari anymore.

• nesl247
    nesl247
    Community Member

It works in chrome again though. I’d like to see this not removed since it works in other browsers.

• testastretta
    testastretta
    Community Member

Happy to report that with Mojave beta 18A347e and Firefox 62.0b13, both the Permissions issue and Touch ID have resolved. I had to "completely quit" 1Password for autofill to work again, but that's about it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@testastretta and @nesl247 - glad to hear things are resolved for you! Things can and do change based on a number of factors around here, but I'd say at this point we probably aren't going to be splitting the expected/default behavior among different browsers. Apple aren't wrong in their reasoning for disallowing it in Safari, and it's probably best from a consistency standpoint as well if we don't have 1Password behaving differently in different browsers.

• nesl247
    nesl247
    Community Member

Could we just leave it unchecked by default, or have an advanced setting? Seems odd to remove something that works perfectly fine in other browsers removed because of Safari.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nesl247 I'll certainly pass along your request, but we set the bar pretty high for adding "toggles" or advanced settings; 1Password is already by its very nature not the simplest-to-use/understand app in most people's Applications folder, and we work very hard to keep a balance between allowing for as much flexibility and power as possible and keeping things streamlined and uncomplicated enough to "democratize" security by not festooning 1Password with so many power-user "advanced prefs/features" that it scares away ordinary, non-techy users or - worse - allows some of them to enable settings/controls they don't fully understand and may weaken their security in ways they're not aware they're doing.

• MacChester
    MacChester
    Community Member

Safari Version 12.0 (14606.1.30)
    Mojave Dev Beta 5 18A347e
    MBP 2017

Touch ID working
    Permission problem resolved
    Autosubmit working

Works like on High Sierra again.

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

:)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! Thanks for the update, @MacChester :)

• ag1pwun
    ag1pwun
    Community Member

@Lars: "1Password is already by its very nature not the simplest-to-use/understand app in most people's Applications folder, and we work very hard to keep a balance between allowing for as much flexibility and power as possible and keeping things streamlined and uncomplicated enough to "democratize" security by not festooning 1Password with so many power-user "advanced prefs/features" that it scares away ordinary, non-techy users or - worse - allows some of them to enable settings/controls they don't fully understand and may weaken their security in ways they're not aware they're doing.

As a retired software engineer who focused on user interface design and implementation, I wholeheartedly agree.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

@ag1pwun - thanks! I don't make the decisions on what we focus on and what we don't, but that is a long-standing (and constantly-evolving) moving target. We could - and in the beginning, to a large degree, we DID - make a product that's aimed at power users specifically, with tons of selectable options and built-in options for edge-case features. And that would guarantee we'd have a very happy and very (relatively) small user-base of sysadmins and other techies. As much as we love the technically-adept, that's only a part of what we want. We're of the opinion that solid security needs to be something that is approachable and understandable, and we believe that's achievable. That's why we spend set a pretty high bar for adding new features/options/controls/preferences to 1Password: because most people aren't sysadmins or other techies and they will shy away from a product that feels as if it's made for "pros." It's a balancing act we struggle with on a constant basis. Glad to hear you like the approach and how we've handled it on the whole. :)

• dmkahn
    dmkahn
    Community Member

7.2.1 with mojave, no sign of auto-submit. I'd love to see an advanced preference to get it back, so it doesn't burden anybody that doesn't want the feature or to be bothered with adding the accessibility preference, but allows your base to continue to have the feature if they decide they want to allow it.

-David

• @dmkahn,

I believe you got an answer to this in a non-beta Forum thread already.

• dmkahn
    dmkahn
    Community Member

@rudy, I did mention it in an existing thread in the non-beta mac forum, but there was no reply. That's where I found the reference to this thread.

This discussion has been closed.