Why doesn't 1Password work with new Canadian Tire login

Options
mjf
mjf
Community Member

CTFS.com has just changed its online system and recommended new passwords. However, the usual 1Password process doesn't not synch with the new Canadian Tire system in storing updated passwords.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password not working with new Canadian Tire login

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mjf: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, what do you mean by "the usual 1Password process doesn't not synch with the new Canadian Tire system in storing updated passwords"? Thanks in advance! :)

• mjf
    mjf
    Community Member
    Options

1Password 7
    Version 7.0.7 (70007000)
    AgileBits Store
    Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Chrome
    1Password extension (desktop app required) 4.7.2.90

Usual process:
    1. Generate new password for CTFS
    2. Updates CTFS
    3. 1Password does not save the new password it generated for CTFS

My workaround:
    1. Created new password manually
    2. Entered it manually in CTFS site
    3. Entered it manually in 1Password

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @mjf,

This will will be a bit trickier than the average site. It isn't possible to easily create a test account and without that there will be no way to reach the change password form and see what is happening. Financial institutes have always been the toughest to test and maintain compatibility with for this reason.

It is worth noting that when you use the Password Generator from 1Password mini that it always creates a Password item as a safety net. Normally 1Password deletes these when it prompts you to update and you accept but if for any reason the prompt does not appear (or you decline to update) the Password item is retained in case it is still needed. You will find a Password item whose title and website field reference Canadian Tire Bank. It does still mean manually updating the Login item but at least the generated password is not lost and leaving you effectively locked out of an account.

I wonder if you can help me by describing the change password form a little. What I'm wondering is:

1. Does it ask for your current password?
    2. When asking for the new password, does the page also ask for confirmation i.e. two password fields are visible on the page that will contain the new password?
    3. The button for initiating the change, does it have any text and if so what does it say?

It could be the button isn't really a button, that the site has designed it in such a way that 1Password doesn't realise a form is being submitted but let's see what those answers are first before we start worrying about the HTML behind the button.

This discussion has been closed.