To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Old, old account

Options
HJG
HJG
Community Member

I purchased a family plan in 2010. I was using it on Windows 7 in 1Password 4, MacOS on 1Password 6, and on iOS with Pro Features. The family is now on Windows 10 (2 PC's), latest MacOS (3 Macs), and latest iOS (6 devices). I was thinking it was time to update everything (and the whole family).

I do not have accounts showing in ANY of these. I never had a secret key or had to add an account. I entered the license key, but that's all.

1. Do I need to purchase 1Password 7?
  2. If not, how do I get a secret key from an old account?
  3. Does iPassword 7 handle ALL devices now?
  4. Anything else I need to know as I do the updates to avoid any catastrophe?

Thanks!

1Password Version: several 4-6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows, MacOS, iOS
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @HJG,

Thanks for your interest in getting everything up to date. 1Password 7 is a separate purchase from any previous purchases. Especially with a family that computes across multiple platforms (Mac, Windows, and iOS) the most effective and cost efficient solution is going to be a 1Password Families membership. This will give you and your family access to the latest versions of 1Password on all of your compatible devices. It would also replace Dropbox as your 1Password sync service and enable sharing of items with family members. You can learn about how to migrate from an existing “standalone” (sans-membership) setup to membership here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

The one thing I’d mention that a number of people seem to miss are the steps at the bottom of that article regarding removing the Primary vault from each device once you’ve migrated. Not doing so can trip you up in the future.

I hope that helps! If you have any questions along the way please let us know and we’d be happy to help. :)

Ben

• LRSF-SA
    LRSF-SA
    Community Member
    Options

I was more than happy with my old account. I purchased a 'lifetime' licence... some lifetime. I don't want to upgrade to 7 I just want it to work the way it did. You are a bunch of con artists.. I don't want to pay another bloody monthly subscription. YOU ARE LIARS

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

So don't upgrade. Or have you already done so? In that case, we can tell you how to revert to what you had.

Some good software is sold with lifetime upgrades, but most, such as 1PW, is just for the current major version. And your licence does last for as long as that version works with you version of the operating system (which can be many years), it never expires.

Very many people, like you, don't want subscriptions. But for a family using different platforms, it is the cheapest approach.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @LRSF-SA

I’m sorry for the frustration with the situation. As danco mentioned 1Password licenses don’t expire and as such are “lifetime” in that way, but all licenses are version locked. They’re generally only valid for the version of 1Password that they were purchased for (e.x. 1Password 6 for Mac). If you have a 1Password 6 for Mac license, have installed v7, and want to revert you can find instructions here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/441130/#Comment_441130

Not to add to the confusion but hopefully as a point of clarification... “accounts” are specific to 1Password subscription memberships. There is no such thing as an account with a license. When using 1Password this way we’d refer to it as using 1Password “standalone” vs with an account (membership).

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.