Feature Request: Sign in after Windows Login

sniem
sniem
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

When I turn on my PC and login for the first time I see that 1pw automatically starts with Windows and sits in the systray. But I'd also like to login to 1pw right after Windows login, too so that I don't need additional clicks to do so (no need to make that mandatory, of course).

Reasing: On my machine with Windows Hello support I need to enter my 1pw password to open the app or use the extensions. And when I have to login on a website, I don't want to have to type my 1pw password in that moment, I just want to click or, if needed, look into the Hello camera.
I always dislike the workflow that I have to enter the password in that moment, it simply disturbs me.

Even better would be to always login into 1pw with Hello (or with similar options as in iOS).

1Password Version: 7.2.574
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro x64
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited August 2018

Hi @sniem,

Thanks for writing in.

You can press the enter key in the empty master password field to trigger the Hello prompt without having to use your mouse. You can also pin 1Password to the taskbar and move it to the first position, so that you can bring it up quickly with the Windows Key + 1 any time.

Every time you terminate 1Password or reboot, the master password will be required before Hello is enabled again. This is intentional at the moment for our security reasons, we'd love to change this in the future but it is not going to be any time soon.

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member

Hi Mike,
    Sorry, it seems I wasn't clear. After subsequent Windows unlocks or 1pw timeouts I can always choose to use Windows Hello for 1pw, but after the first Windows login I can't. All I would love to see is that 1pw's request for the masterpassword appears right after my first Windows login (say, after having turned on the machine or rebooted it). My point is that I would like to (optionally) be able do it without further action from my side :).

(When I'm on my iPhone SE it's the first thing I do after the device has been turned on or rebooted - that for I have put 1pw on my home as I know there is no way to let 1pw ask for my credentials automatically. In Windows I hope there is a way to have a smoother experience)

• Hi @sniem,

No, you were clear, I've mentioned it in the second paragraph:

This is intentional at the moment for our security reasons, we'd love to change this in the future but it is not going to be any time soon.

In order for 1Password to allow Hello at first launch, it must have a key stored somewhere on your computer. Right now, 1Password generates a temporary unique one-time key that only exist in memory when you unlock with your master password first. This key will remain forever in memory until you terminate 1Password or restart the computer. This avoids storing any keys on disk and is generally safer.

macOS and iOS have secure enclave built-in, so any biometric use is limited only to devices with secure enclaves. Windows 10's Hello can work without a TPM chip which has a secure enclave but we're not entirely sure yet, that's why it is not supported at the moment. We need to do more research but it is more than we can spare at the moment.

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member

Hi Mike,
    Sorry, no, seems I still wasn't clear. It's okay (not perfect, but okay) to have to enter the masterpassword initially instead of using Hello immediatly if it's for security reasons.
    But I would like 1pw to ask me to enter it right after I login into Windows after I turned on the PC or rebooted. Currently I have to manually open the app or click on the icon in the taskbar or systray to be able to enter it. I'd like to get rid of that one manual click the Winkey+1 combo you mentioned in your first comment. Does that make sense?

• MikeT
    edited August 2018

Hi @sniem,

Do you mean when you boot Windows, you want the 1Password app to be visible in front of you, instead of minimizing to the system's notification area?

You could do that by first disabling the auto-start option in 1Password's settings and then manually create a shortcut to 1Password.exe file to be in your Startup folder. That way, it'll start up normally.

To create the shortcut:

1. Open your startup folder, press Windows Key + R to bring up the run prompt and enter shell:startup in the run dialog
    2. Right-click on an empty area within this Startup folder to select New > Create Shortcut
    3. For the location, enter %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\app\7\1Password.exe and then call it 1Password

Restart and you should see 1Password visible.

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Hi @MikeT,

Wonderful, that did the trick! Exactly that is what I need :)
    Though it would be cool to have such option in the app's settings ;)

PS: Thanks for your patience :)

• You're welcome.

As this is very rarely requested and it is not something any 1Password apps ever did, we rather not add more settings when a few folks can work around it manually. This would work for any apps you want as well.

This discussion has been closed.