ignore items permanently in Watchtower

pquimo
pquimo
Community Member
edited May 2018 in Mac

I love watchtower. Especially in version 7. So much good stuff. But one thing is limiting the value I get from it. There are passwords it shows me that, for one reason or another, I can't change. I would really like to be able to flag these items as ignored. I have been seeing these same items over and over for a very long time and it is very demotivating. I want to have an empty Watchtower at all times, and anytime I see it's non empty, know that there's something I need to fix, instead of reviewing the cases for ones I need to ignore. If I could do this, then there also could be an option that anytime I activate 1password if Watchtower has a new item, it alerts me (optionally of course, but I would love it).

1Password Version: 7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

Hi @pquimo, thanks for the suggestion. If I may ask, from what category would you like to ignore an item from (e.g. Inactive 2FA, Unsecured Websites)?

Let me know :).

Jad

• pquimo
    pquimo
    Community Member

Honestly, all of them. I currently have at least one item in every section I'd like to ignore. Thanks.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

@pquimo thanks for the follow up. Currently, we only support ignoring the "Inactive 2FA" entries. You can do that by placing a "2FA" tag on the entry you want to ignore or by tagging one entry with "2FA" and dragging and dropping all the entries you want to ignore into that tag.

We understand that would like to see the ability to ignore entries in all WatchTower categories, and we thank you for the suggestion. We will definitely consider it :).

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Just as one example of something I would wish to ignore. The password for my public library account has to be a four digit number. That appears in the insecure passwords, as one would expect. I would like to be able to ignore that item.

• pquimo
    pquimo
    Community Member

Thanks for that info. Using a tag approach isn't always viable also. Many of the cases I have are where an entry is essentially "owned" by somebody else, but shared with me, and I can't/shouldn't make any changes to it. So please keep that in mind as you consider a solution. Thank you.

And thanks for the example, danco. That is a number of my cases as well - where there the restrictions imposed by the receiver of the password force it to be a weak password.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

@danco @pquimo Thank you for the great use cases and suggestions. I will pass this on to the development team.

• Jablair
    Jablair
    Community Member

I was just about to make this same feature request. In addition to things like four digit code, I'd throw wireless routers on the list of things to ignore. If all I'm doing is tracking the wireless network password for a friend's place or a coffeeshop, there's nothing I can do about the password being weak.

• amertner
    amertner
    Community Member

I just want to add my support for this feature. I would suggest allowing users to define a list of tags; items with one of these tags are then ignored by Watchtower. (I’d add my wifi and library tags, for example)

As a stopgap, having a single tag that I can use, a la 2FA, or even just a checkbox to say “ignore this” would be nice.

The big banners at the top of these items I can’t do anything about get old really fast.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

I can say we definitely have an issue filed and so we should discuss what we can do to help keep Watchtower pertinent without having it cluttered and cause people to start ignoring it. There's a lot of of good with the new Watchtower I think so it would be a shame if silly things we could change caused people to want to ignore the whole feature. I'm sure we'll see a lot of refining in the updates to come.

ref: apple-1297

• daemon
    daemon
    Community Member

I love the new 1password. I like that there are options to purchase or subscribe. And the new watch tower is excellent. But as so many others have listed I would like to be able to flag certain items as watch tower ignore. I would like to do this for a specific sub part of watch tower or the entire thing. Examples would be similar other peoples wireless, accounts that require a 4 digit code, or internal non web facing sites that do not allow for better passwords. For me a tag would work fine. I try to re-mediate what is in there and even reach out to friends about their wifi passwords, but having an ignore for when it just can't be fixed would be nice.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@daemon - thanks for the kind words about 1Password 7 -- glad you're enjoying it. We're looking into ways to allow the user to hide or dismiss Watchtower 2.0 banner warnings for certain records. The issue for us is that we need to make sure we do it in a way that doesn't allow users to inadvertently turn things off (or hide them) when they need to be reminded. After all, if you turn Watchtower on, you expect it to work. So we're looking into how best to achieve that, but yeah -- in general, we agree these should be hide-able or dismissible on a per-record basis. Keep an eye on the updates/release notes, and thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and your use-case with us.

• btownguy
    btownguy
    Community Member

I'd like to also throw my support in for this feature. Mostly for items that have short PIN's. Maybe have one more section in Watchtower called "ignored by Watchtower" and have a checkbox or something within each item that you can set to make it ignored.

• Thanks for the suggestion, @btownguy. :)

Ben

• asclark
    asclark
    Community Member

Question on the PIN piece. I have a bunch of PINs for cards, chat services etc. that show up under Watchtower Weak Passwords. Instead of the requested option to ignore these, is there a different category that I should be storing these instead of "login"? I would rather have a new category for PINs that the tool would already know are short instead of "ignoring".

• asclark
    asclark
    Community Member

Clarification: I still need to use some of these PINs for login on sites that insist on short PINs (e.g. a bunch of Airline and Hotel reward sites), so they would still need to behave like passwords.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@asclark - It's not really possible to change the category of an existing record in 1Password, since each category is purpose-built with certain expected fields. You can't make a Login record into a Credit Card record, for example. You could always create a Secure Note and add a custom field and give it the Password type, then enter PIN(s) there, if you like. That would keep them off Watchtower's radar. We're looking into ways to allow users to ignore items in the Watchtower context without making it too easy to flip an "ignore" switch and wind up not getting notified about things you would want to be notified about. But this should work for you in the meantime.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

Add me to line of users requesting ability to tell watchtower ignore certain weak passwords. In addition to PIN numbers and library passcodes, i have lock combinations used for luggage, etc, where you are almost always limited to three digits.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@rlgleason51 - thanks for weighing in! :)

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

BTW, re: suggestion of using secure notes. I use my Apple Watch for select pins and passwords. When I tried secure notes, my watch displayed the message that I must fill out the note on my phone. Left me confused as it was filled out. Maybe because I had the code in a password field instead of the notes section?

• There are some limitations to what information 1Password can display on the Apple Watch.

Ben

• asclark
    asclark
    Community Member

Thank you @Lars . It does seem that we would really benefit from a field-type of "PIN" that could be hidden like a password, possibly automatically pasted in a loging as a password, but ignored by Watchtower. Thanks for looking into the potential at least.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• sevoff
    sevoff
    Community Member

+1 on this.
    My use case is when I'm storing WiFi passwords that I don't control. For example, a local restaurant who uses a weak password. I can't control what they use, and I want to store it, but I don't want to "dilute" the value of what WatchTower shows me by having something in the list I'm going to ignore forever.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @sevoff! Yup, that's an excellent use-case. And there are multiple other ones like that, where you can't control or change the password you're given from another person/company/server. We're looking into how best to accomplish this. Thanks for adding your voice and your use-case. :)

• wedi
    wedi
    Community Member

And one more +1 on this one. There are many comments I cannot support enough. But apart from what is mentioned here, I have use cases in weak

Apart from what is mentioned here, I'd like to ignore logins marked as Unsecure Websites due to missing TLS encryption. Many (most? all?) services in local networks, i.e. wifi routers, NAS, TV, ... are not using encryption due to problems with self signed certificates.

Reused Passwords is another one. My university password, for example, is required for WiFi, my mail account and a multitude of different sites. Sharing the login is often impossible due to different usernames (username, mail address, registration number, ...). In addition, I often set up temporary services locally on my machine for testing. Passwords like "test" and "qwerty" are not only weak but also duplicated a lot.

Watchtower is a very cool feature but its usefulness gets quite a bit degraded as new problems are hidden in loads of old stuff one cannot do anything about.

Thanks for listening and even more kudos if you take action!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @wedi! Yup, you're not wrong. There are any number of less-common reasons why someone might want to hide the banner or make use of a checkbox to suppress it on a record-by-record basis. I'm glad you like Watchtower -- we're pretty proud of its value to users, and as a result, our challenge is to make sure we don't, in our haste to allow people to dismiss warnings, make it so someone who thinks Watchtower will warn them of problems finds out they actually defeated warnings the should have and wanted to receive. Since you're new here, I'll warn you that because getting annoyed by a banner is relatively lower priority than making sure security is solid (as well as a few other priorities) this one may not be getting attention quite as quick as some other things. But we're definitely aware of the issue and are thinking of how we might best address it. Thanks for adding your voice! :)

• wedi
    wedi
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Thank you, for your response, @Lars!

From my perspective it is just the opposite. Not being able to suppress warnings I cannot do anything about obfuscates important messages and degrades security. It's a pity I have to read from your great marketing lingo that you have no plans to implement this feature.

• No definite plans, no. But we are collecting and evaluating feedback and it is something we may consider doing in the future. Thanks!

Ben

• WilliamTM
    WilliamTM
    Community Member

I'd also like to request this if possible - I have a number of entries for various things that I can't or don't want to change or be reminded of, yet I can't hide them from Watchtower - across all the categories, not just one.

For example, I really don't need to be reminded that "Will2" is a weak password for my GoPro's WiFi - I somehow thing I'm unlikely to need to worry about that when I'm in the middle of nowhere halfway up a mountain! :p

• Thanks for sharing your perspective on this @WilliamTM.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.