1password Android app is not giving me the option to save new credentials

Silverbullet
Silverbullet
Community Member

I am currently running Android 9.0 (was seeing the same thing on 8.x) and I do not get prompted to save new credentials when I first log into a new website (chrome browser) or an app. All I can do is search. I have turned on accessibility and autofill.

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 9
Sync Type: 1password
Referrer: forum-search:1password app on Android is not giving me the option to save new credentials in chrome

Comments

• peri
    edited August 2018

Hey @Silverbullet. Autofill, which is responsible for saving credentials, isn't currently supported in Chrome. You'll be able to save Logins using Autofill in apps and Firefox Focus, though!

• Silverbullet
    Silverbullet
    Community Member

Thank you. Any chance it will get supported in the future? Does Autofill work for all apps or only certain ones?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Silverbullet: Individual apps need to support Google's Android Autofill APIs in order for 1Password to interface with them this way. There aren't a lot yet, but I'm sure that will change over time. :)

• Silverbullet
    Silverbullet
    Community Member

Thank you @brenty and @peri.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! We're here if you need anything else. :chuffed:

• imperator
    imperator
    Community Member

I'm a bit confused by the statement made by @peri: "Autofill, which is responsible for saving credentials, isn't currently supported in Chrome."

Does this mean the entire Autofill functionality is not supported for Chrome? Autofill works perfectly well for me on Android 8.1 (BlackBerry Key2) and Chrome when it comes to filling in the login. It doesn't work when it comes to saving a login. Is this what was meant or do I have another issue?

• Hey @imperator. Let me clarify. :)

If you launch 1Password and go to Setings > Filling, you'll see Autofill and Accessibility there. Autofill is a framework provided natively for filling in Android. However, before that was available, we used an accessibility service to scan pages for login fields and then match Logins from your account to fill. In 1Password 6.8, both Autofill and the accessibility service work to fill. If Autofill is available, it will handle filling. If not, the accessibility service will take over.

You won't likely notice a difference between the two options. Both accessibility and Autofill offer an 'Autofill with 1Password' prompt in login fields. However, under the hood, they're two different things.

So Autofill isn't supported in Chrome at the moment. What you're seeing when filling in Chrome is the 1Password accessibility service. Only Autofill handles saving, though.

Let me know if that clarifies things!

• kevdliu
    kevdliu
    Community Member

I just discovered 1password yesterday and was excited that the beta version supported the Android P auto fill APIs which allow me to auto fill in Chrome without accessibility service. However it looks like you guys removed that support in 7.0.BETA-21 (just my usual luck lol). Is it caused by bugs that you can fix on your end or some sort of Android API limitation? Aka can it be fixed by a 1password update without waiting for the next Android release?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kevdliu: We did. We're a bit bummed about it, but it just isn't ready for prime time. Rest assured we're working hard to get it out in an update if we can though. It's too early to say for sure, but I think it's unlikely that it will have to wait until Android Q (whatever dessert that could be...), at least if we have anything to say about it. Thanks for the encouragement. :)

• kevdliu
    kevdliu
    Community Member

Thanks for the prompt reply. Im just curious, what wasn’t working right about it?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kevdliu: Just not reliable enough. Better to keep working at it and then release it when it's a clear win over the alternatives. :)

This discussion has been closed.