I can't log onto Chase site

Options

1password saves my log in id and my password, but when I click on the login, it takes me to the Chase site...the login box pops up and a slight delay...and nothing happens. 1password doesn't enter anything. I've searched the forums here and have seen this is a problem, but have not found a solution that works. I'm using Safari, osx 10.13.4.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:can't log onto chase site

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @gme2815,

Let's see if we can figure out what is happening and I have a few questions in order to do so.

1. It sounds like you like to use open-and-fill but the fill part isn't happening. If instead you manually visit the sign-in page and ask 1Password to fill the currently open page does it fill the correct fields? The keyboard shortcut ⌘\ on the Mac or ctrl + \ on Windows should help test this.
    2. What version of 1Password do you have?
    3. What is the URL for the Chase sign-in page you use?

and we'll see what the answers reveal :smile:

• gme2815
    gme2815
    Community Member
    Options

Open and fill does not work, but if I go manually to the site, 1Password will fill in the my details and log me on if I click the browser extension and click the Chase icon that's there, or use the nice keyboard shortcut you just showed me. This is the only site I've encountered so far that has this problem. Everything else works fine from the logins menu on the browser extension. I have version 6.8.8 and I'm going to www.chase.com

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @gme2815,

So the way that open-and-fill works is once the browser tells us it has finished loading the page we will spend a moment or two looking for fields that would indicate there is something to fill. The reason we spend this small amount of time is because the page being ready and the page having retrieved the requested assets are not the same and unfortunately there is no "page is ready" event we can use. I say this because when I performed a clean load of the www.chase.com page it took quite some time before the fields were ready. I suspect what is happening is we're concluding we shouldn't fill this page before the page gets round to rendering the login form. The question is what can we do about it and whether there are implications to stretching how long we check.

As a workaround, could opening the page and then using the keyboard shortcut for this one site work given what we've been discussing and that open-and-fill is currently struggling?

• gme2815
    gme2815
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, but why pay money for a program that needs "workarounds?" The password saving function in OS X works just as well, if this is what I have to do.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018
    Options

@gme2815: Unfortunately we don't have any control over the website being designed this way. I think that 1Password has a ton of value outside of one problematic website, but certainly if this is the absolute most important thing to you I can understand perhaps not wanting to pay for 1Password. Fortunately you're not forced to use or pay for 1Password. Let me know if there's anything I can help with, as I'm a Chase customer myself. But ultimately it's probably better for both of us to voice our feedback to them to request better usability. While 1Password being unable to access a site automatically is an inconvenience, the problems this stuff causes for visually impaired users who depend on accessibility features are much more significant. We'll continue to see if we can find ways of working around these issues in the app itself though, and I appreciate your feedback here. As a Chase customer I also feel your pain.

• gme2815
    gme2815
    Community Member
    Options

I'm coming from Dashlane, which has it's own problems, but this was not one of them. It can handle any website. It also fills in my email address when websites ask for it, which is something I can for a life of me get 1Password to do. As of right now, and I'm still in early days with 1Password, it seems less functional that the native password program in OS X, which seems odd to me, so maybe I doing something wrong. That it can't handle the Chase site and can't fill in my email address on web forms is strange...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gme2815: I've seen and heard otherwise, but it's fair to compare 1Password against competitors and criticize when it does not live up to your expectations. I'm sorry where we've failed you in that regard. Nevertheless, the only thing we can do is continue to work to make it more seamless wherever possible, so I thank you for your feedback in this case.

Regarding "fill in my email address on web forms", can you give me specific URLs where you're having trouble with Identity filling. Though I'd still like to know the specific URL you're having trouble with there, Chase was a great example because that's something we can investigate further, knowing what it is. I'd love to get the details for any cases where you feel there's room for improvement. :)

• singski
    singski
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue with Chase. Sometimes the keyboard shortcut works to fill in the blanks but most of the time I have to copy and paste in my username and password manually from 1Password. Very frustrating!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@singski: I hear you. Banks for some reason are the worst offenders when it comes to web standards and accessibility. I've got a few Chase accounts myself though, and while I find it tedious waiting for the page to load since the redesign, I can't say I've noticed any issues with filling there recently. Can you give me some more details? Please tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect. Also, the specific URL would be great. I should be able to test it myself. Thanks in advance! :)

• singski
    singski
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I am using Windows 7, Firefox 61.0.2, 1Password 4.6.2.626 and 1Password extension 4.7.2.90. The url is https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/login-account-access. After it finally loads the popup window, I hit crtl+\ and occasionally it will fill in but most of the time it won't. Sometimes I close the browser and try again and if that still doesn't work I have to copy/paste from the list of logons. I am wondering if it could have anything to do with the fact that I keep my history and cookies cleared due to being a web designer, with the exception of https://chaseonline.chase.com, https://secure07c.chase.com, and a few more related to other accounts that require certain cookies.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@singski: Thanks for the additional details! Indeed, Chase's new login thing gets on my nerves a bit too. Pretty sluggish to load, and a lot of times that will prevent 1Password from filling since it isn't going to wait around forever*. In that case, I just press the keyboard shortcut once it finally finishes. It that what you're referring to? I think maybe not, but I figured I should ask just to be sure.

*Ironically, when testing this just now, the frame with the username and password gave me the error "The connection has timed out: The server at secure07c.chase.com is taking too long to respond." ¯_(ツ)_/¯

The tough thing in either case is that 1Password 4 won't be (and hasn't been for a while now) getting the benefit of improvements we're making in the filling engine, or anything for the app itself since it's no longer being developed. But I'm not having any issue with filling with 1Password 4 in Firefox on my Windows 7 test machine. I ca't imagine how cookies would be involved, but if you wait a short while and press the keyboard shortcut again, does it work? Perhaps you have other extensions in your setup than me which are bogging things down more than in my case. It may be worth trying a new profile either way since we hear from a lot of people with unexplainable issues that are resolved by doing that, presumably because the original profile was corrupt for some reason.

This discussion has been closed.