dviree
dviree
Community Member

I can't find it?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dviree: Thanks for getting in touch! The 1Password Keyboard option has been removed in version 7 since accessibility filling is available on all supported Android versions, and multi-window mode will also let you drag a username or password to a specific field. I apologize for the confusion there though. Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

• dviree
    dviree
    Community Member

Yeah but some apps won't allow multiple windows or you can't fill in the password fields. Like PayPal.
    Why don't you just keep the keyboard? It was one of my main reason of why I bought the services from you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dviree: I hear you, but it's also one of the main things we've gotten complaints about, and it's just not feasible for us to maintain three(!) separate filling mechanisms. If you're having as issue with filling using accessibility or Android autofill service, please let us know the specifics so we can look into it. That's where our focus will be going forward.

• dviree
    dviree
    Community Member

Try and autofill in the PayPal app and the app called "datpiff"

• dviree
    dviree
    Community Member

Can you recommend other password managers with a keyboard? This is ridiculous

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

Try and autofill in the PayPal app and the app called "datpiff"

@dviree: Thanks for letting me know. It looks like neither support multi-window mode, accessibility, or Android Autofill. We'll see what we can do to work around that.

ref: android-93

Can you recommend other password managers with a keyboard? This is ridiculous

There are plenty of other options out there. If there's another tool that better fits your preferences there's nothing wrong with using it. Or you could use the stable version of 1Password for Android, which does have a custom keyboard.

• dviree
    dviree
    Community Member

Amazing! Thank u for the tip!

• 1password_kbuser
    1password_kbuser
    Community Member

The keyboard was a very useful fallback option for the many times that the accessibility based filling didn't work (just didn't detect the username/password field or whatever). If you have to choose one method of filling to support, the keyboard is more robust by far. I'd estimate I had to use the keyboard 60% of the time. Please bring it back!

• RMNL
    RMNL
    Community Member

@brenty said:

It looks like neither support multi-window mode, accessibility, or Android Autofill. We'll see what we can do to work around that.

It's easy. It's a keyboard, you already have it.

I'm not happy with this decision, because there are too many apps that I use that do not support the accessibility api needed for this to work properly. Seems Agile Bits are running ahead of the pack, so they can simplify (aka as no longer need to maintain features) their app on Android.

If it's not feasible to support 3 or more separate filling mechanisms, then it's simple: Keyboard and autofill (in that order, because 1 always works, the second sometimes).

For now I have left the Android Beta, uninstalled the beta app, reinstalled version 6.8 and marked the app in the google Play Store to not update automatically.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The keyboard was a very useful fallback option for the many times that the accessibility based filling didn't work (just didn't detect the username/password field or whatever).

@1password_kbuser: I agree with you. It's something we're evaluating.

If you have to choose one method of filling to support, the keyboard is more robust by far. I'd estimate I had to use the keyboard 60% of the time. Please bring it back!

Thank you for your feedback on this. I'd encourage you to let us know the specific apps/sites where you find yourself falling back to the keyboard so that we can get it working better without it. The keyboard is almost certainly going away, it's just a matter of when.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm not happy with this decision, because there are too many apps that I use that do not support the accessibility api needed for this to work properly. Seems Agile Bits are running ahead of the pack, so they can simplify (aka as no longer need to maintain features) their app on Android.

@RMNL: Thanks for sharing your perspective. It may be a little early to kill the keyboard entirely, which is why it hasn't been removed for those with it enabled.

If it's not feasible to support 3 or more separate filling mechanisms, then it's simple: Keyboard and autofill (in that order, because 1 always works, the second sometimes). For now I have left the Android Beta, uninstalled the beta app, reinstalled version 6.8 and marked the app in the google Play Store to not update automatically.

It's a fair point, and I don't personally disagree with you as far as practicality. But we've had a lot of feedback to the contrary when we suggest that to customers: most people don't want to use the keyboard, and even those that do are often not satisfied with it because it doesn't support X 3rd party keyboard feature. We're not a keyboard software company. It's just not our focus. So sticking with the keyboard long-term isn't an option: we're not going to waste time on it to the exclusion of more powerful filling options that Google has given us to work with. So that's where our development efforts will be.

That said, the Android ecosystem and our own work in this area isn't yet where we want them to be, so the keyboard remains for anyone who has it enabled and we're evaluating keeping it in the app for the time being while progress continues to be made in other areas. Thanks to you and everyone else who's chimed in on this subject.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dviree: You're very welcome! And likewise, thanks for bringing this up in the first place. :)

• RMNL
    RMNL
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks for your reply. A couple of follow up questions/remarks.

You said:

It may be a little early to kill the keyboard entirely, which is why it hasn't been removed for those with it enabled.

What do you mean with it hasn't been removed for those with it enabled. I had the keyboard enabled, but it wasn't my default keyboard. I use Google's keyboard for all the things I do and only switch shortly to the 1Password keyboard for password filling.

Even though I had it enabled, the keyboard was gone for me and there was no way of getting it back. It was gone after upgrading from Android O, to Android P, so I think something goes wrong there. Or with "enabled" you mean that the keyboard is set as the default keyboard. Which brings me to the next thing you said:

But we've had a lot of feedback to the contrary when we suggest that to customers: most people don't want to use the keyboard, and even those that do are often not satisfied with it because it doesn't support X 3rd party keyboard feature. We're not a keyboard software company. It's just not our focus.

I totally agree with this and I've never used your keyboard as such, it's just a way for inputting passwords, perhaps you should consider removing features from the keyboard and make it serve one function only: filling passwords. Switching between keyboards in Android is incredibly easy, so you can use whatever keyboard you want and only use the 1Password keyboard for password filling.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your reply. A couple of follow up questions/remarks.

@RMNL: Sure thing. :)

You said:

It may be a little early to kill the keyboard entirely, which is why it hasn't been removed for those with it enabled.

What do you mean with it hasn't been removed for those with it enabled.

Great question! At the time I wrote that, we'd removed the 1Password Keyboard from the main 1Password app, so it was no longer possible to enable it there if it had not been already...

I had the keyboard enabled, but it wasn't my default keyboard. I use Google's keyboard for all the things I do and only switch shortly to the 1Password keyboard for password filling.

Default keyboard shouldn't matter. Currently, in the shipping 7.0 (and now 7.0.1) release, you can still enable the 1Password keyboard in system Settings. Where exactly this will be may vary based on your OS and device version, but it's generally something like this:

Settings > System > Languages & Input > Virtual Keyboard > Manage Keyboards > 1Password

You may already see it right under "Virtual Keyboard" if you've already enabled it on the device.

Even though I had it enabled, the keyboard was gone for me and there was no way of getting it back. It was gone after upgrading from Android O, to Android P, so I think something goes wrong there. Or with "enabled" you mean that the keyboard is set as the default keyboard. Which brings me to the next thing you said:

It doesn't need to be the default. Please double check your Virtual Keyboard settings. It may just be in a different location on your device.

But we've had a lot of feedback to the contrary when we suggest that to customers: most people don't want to use the keyboard, and even those that do are often not satisfied with it because it doesn't support X 3rd party keyboard feature. We're not a keyboard software company. It's just not our focus.

I totally agree with this and I've never used your keyboard as such, it's just a way for inputting passwords, perhaps you should consider removing features from the keyboard and make it serve one function only: filling passwords. Switching between keyboards in Android is incredibly easy, so you can use whatever keyboard you want and only use the 1Password keyboard for password filling.

I don't think we'll do that, but it's an interesting idea. I do believe that for most users it's a bit tedious to have to switch keyboards for filling, as that's something a lot of customers have told me.

Anyway, definitely let me know the specifics if you're still having trouble with this. :)

• teacy123
    teacy123
    Community Member

As has been noted further up this thread, the current Autofill doesn't work on the PayPal log in screen. Not being able to use the keyboard means having to go all the way back to the 1Password app to find PayPal and copy the password. Then go back to PayPal to paste it. Ouch!

• peri
    edited September 2018

@teacy123 You can still use the keyboard using the steps brenty gave in his reply above.

Default keyboard shouldn't matter. Currently, in the shipping 7.0 (and now 7.0.1) release, you can still enable the 1Password keyboard in system Settings. Where exactly this will be may vary based on your OS and device version, but it's generally something like this:

Settings > System > Languages & Input > Virtual Keyboard > Manage Keyboards > 1Password

You may already see it right under "Virtual Keyboard" if you've already enabled it on the device.

Let us know if you need anything else!

• teacy123
    teacy123
    Community Member

Autofill that works on the login screen of PayPal would be nice. Regardless of whether the keyboard is or will still be present, I think a password manager should support convenient login to the most popular payment service on the planet. Right now, 1Password offers to fill the password, but then quietly does nothing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@teacy123: I agree with you. PayPal simply doesn't support Android Autofill or even accessibility that would allow 1Password or assistive technologies for folks who depend on them to read those fields. That's bad for everyone, not just 1Password users. In the mean time, the good news is that (at least in my experience) the PayPal app doesn't require a sign in each time, so you'll likely have to do it once (or only occasionally). We'll see if we can find a way to get 1Password to be able to fill there in the future though.

• dviree
    dviree
    Community Member

They added it again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

What do you mean?

• willyt150
    willyt150
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Thank you @brenty for the steps to get the 1password keyboard showing up again.

As everyone else above has done, I ask that you PLEASE leave the keyboard, even if I have to enable through the settings I'm happy that it's there.

I've got 2 more apps that autofill doesn't work with:
    nextdoor
    steam

And in regards to the Paypal app... the keyboard support for filling username and password into whatever text field I have selected works like a charm.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad that helped! And thanks for the feedback. I'll continue to advocate for keeping it until a fallback is no longer necessary. :)

This discussion has been closed.