I assume 7.1 in TestFlight is older than the publicly released 7.1.1, right?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

Please forgive my ignorance, but I was recently invited to the 1Password iOS beta (I'm running iOS 12 btw). I see however in TestFlight that it's at 7.1, however outside of that 7.1.1 has already been released, so I assume the TestFlight version is not any newer than the current publicly released version, is that correct? If so, when is 7.1.2 or 7.2 or something coming out that brings forward the iOS 12 specific password features?

I guess at this point, I just find it confusing when I'm supposed to be beta testing 1Password on iOS 12 and the current beta release of 1Password seems to be older than the publicly released version of 1Password. Can anyone clarify this for me, please? So far I have not used the TestFlight version of 1Password until this is clarified for me, as I do not want to go backwards in build.

1Password Version: 7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12 beta 5
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• @DustinDauncey,

You'll want to keep using the release 7.1.1 version.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Okay, will do. Thank you for confirming.

You may want to consider making that part more clear to people you are on boarding for beta testing (until the beta for iOS 12 comes out), as not everyone will catch the version number differences. ;-)

• @DustinDauncey,

7.2 will be starting soon-ish

• gadgetto
    gadgetto
    Community Member

I just recognized the same and wondered why the beta has an older version number then the release version.
    Thanks for adding to TestFlight but this should be really made more clear to to testers.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You'll see the changes in the release notes in the betas same as the stable release, but this is all just part of the excitement of participating in the beta. ;)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

That's the point though... not everyone will catch that. All we're saying is it can be confusing to people you're just now on-boarding to the beta program, and there's room for improvement there to prevent that confusion. Do with it what you will. :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DustinDauncey: I guess maybe I'm not understanding what you're after. Can you elaborate?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Okay, let me clarify.

I was invited to the beta. I got the email and I jumped for joy at being able to test out the latest version. I was about to hit download in TestFlight, when I caught the version number at 7.1 rather than something like 7.2 or whatever I was assuming it’d be. Because 7.1.1 was already publicly released, had I hit download like the email told me to do, I would have in fact gone BACKWARDS in builds, which of course is not what I’d want to do and I’m sure not what you’d want us to do either.

So what I’m trying to explain is that for anyone you’ve recently brought on board to the beta program since 7.1.1 was publicly released, they may or may not have inadvertently gone backwards instead if they thought that the current beta build was the latest and greatest. And sure, some will catch the version number like me, or recognize the release notes. But not all will do that, and that seems like such an easily avoidable situation.

I guess it’s one of those situations where to your team it may be seen as just a minor inconvenience or minor/temporary issue, and I do understand that, but it’s also so incredibly easy to avoid. And part of beta testing is telling you guys what’s wrong and what might need to be tweaked, right? So consider this my first input before even touching the app. Haha. And you have at least one other person in here who has agreed as well that it’s confusing and should be improved. So please... improve it. ;-) haha

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DustinDauncey: Thanks for clarifying. As Rudy mentioned above, it will be improved when there's a new beta. If you're new to the beta, you may not be aware that the current version situation is both atypical and temporary. Usually the beta is a higher version number then the stable release. But it's neither feasible to retroactively change version numbers to accommodate a bugfix update like this nor is it reasonable for us to hold back such a fix just to make the version numbering tidy. I'm sorry that this was confusing for you, but I don't see how it actually impacts your usage of 1Password. If I'm missing something, please let me know so I can apologize for being dense and we'll see what can be done to address the issue you're experiencing. But from your comments it sounds like you just don't like the numbering. We like thing to be tidy too, all things being equal, but that's not always possible in the never-ending march of software development. And this is pre-release software after all. I promise that the next stable release will have a higher version number than the current one. I think that's actually enforced by the App Store. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No one asked, but it was driving me nuts that I could not remember the reason for the bugfix release so I looked it up. When we originally released 7.1 to the App Store, it did not have Markdown enabled, so we quickly released 7.1.1 to address that. That's the only difference. Looking forward to the next beta myself though. :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Nobody asked to tidy up the version numbers or hold back releases, and it certainly doesn’t affect my usage of the actual app (unless I had actually used the older beta version in which case I’d be experienced bugs that were already resolved). This has nothing to do with me not liking the numbering, as that isn’t even true. The version numbers make sense to me the way they are.

All I’m trying to say is it’s a less then stellar on-boarding experience when the beta build is behind the actual released version, and it’s so easily avoidable with a simple “Reminder: beta builds are not always newer than the release version. Please double check before installing the beta.” Or even just a more temporary “We know the beta build (7.1) is currently behind the released version (7.1.1), so please hold off on installing the beta until a further announcement is made for the 7.2 beta. Thank you.” In the on-boarding email.

It’s an ageeeably relatively small issue, though I must admit I’m honestly very surprised this has been so confusing. If it isn’t going to be addressed by your team, it’s all good. This forum thread I started will hopefully resolve any confusion in the on-boarding experience itself in the mean time until 7.2 is released. And hopefully might help in the future when it will surely happen again too.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DustinDauncey: I don't think that's really necessary in this case since, again, the difference between the two is almost nonexistent. But where do you suggest we post such a reminder? It's certainly something we can consider if this ever comes up again in the future. If it ever has before, I've forgotten.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

As a sticky note in the forum, as a note at the top of the app description in TestFlight, as a note in the “what to test” part in TestFlight, as part of the signup form you use, etc. It can go in a number of places, though I’d maybe only suggest one or two of them, otherwise it might feel spammy. Haha

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the suggestions! If and when we end up in a similar situation again, we may may add a note like that. :)

• nils_enevoldsen
    nils_enevoldsen
    Community Member

Just wanted to say, @DustinDauncey, that you're not alone. I also was confused when I was onboarded to the beta, opened TestFlight, and was prompted to downgrade 1Password. I did it anyway, suspecting that the version numbering might be off or something. I'm mildly surprised to read here that the numbering is not a glitch, and I did in fact downgrade 1Password. Good thing I don't use Markdown? :p

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nils_enevoldsen: Thanks for chiming in! Indeed, not many people use Markdown yet since it was just introduced in version 7.1.1. Looking forward to getting that rolled out across all platforms in the future. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I like BrokenHope’s suggestion even more than my own. That sounds like the best solution to prevent beta testers from inadvertently downgrading. Great suggestion, @BrokenHope.

@brenty, unless the new beta is coming within a couple of days, I’d really suggest moving forward with any of the number of suggestions your beta testers have provided to your team in this thread because it should be clear by now that this is confusing to at least a portion of your beta testers, particularly the newer additions - whether it’s considered a minor inconvenience to people or not. It’s just so easily avoidable that it almost kind of concerns me (to be frank) that no real action is being taken.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We don't have a specific release date set for the next beta, but I suspect we'll have something to share soon. You're free to use the stable release in the mean time if you wish.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

It kind of feels like the concerns expressed in this thread, as minor as they may be to your team, are being ignored. It’s honestly pretty disappointing to me, especially as someone who is a beta tester with a mandate of doing exactly this... reporting concerns and experiences to your team.

Several people have expressed this very same concern (and that’s just those who are actual beta testers AND participate in the forums, which will undoubtedly be a pretty small group), we’ve all provided suggestions on how to very easily fix it.

This was all raised back on August 3, but we’re still effectively told to ignore it and wait for 7.2 and that it shouldn’t happen again, despite the fact that it most certainly will happen again at some point in the future.

I know I’m probably blowing this up, and I’ll admit I’m not in the best of moods today, but I must be honest here... this isn’t what I’d call a great first impression to being a beta tester for 1Password, if reporting poor experiences (especially ones with the easiest of fixes) basically goes with no action. Not what you want to hear I’m sure, but just being honest. That’s my job, after all. ;-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DustinDauncey: Thanks for your honesty. I'm sorry you feel that way, but I don't think that someone not doing exactly what you suggest immediately equates with you being ignored. As I mentioned previously, I don't believe anything like this has happened previously and it's unlikely that it will again, but it's something we'll evaluate going forward. Thanks again for your suggestions.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Oh I don’t care if it’s not what I specifically suggested, there have been other people with great ideas too (in fact, better than my own). So I just want to clarify that part, as I’m not equating being ignored with my specific suggestion not being followed. That’s just entirely untrue and an incorrect way to interpret my previous comment.

The thing is, multiple people have brought it up. Multiple people have put forward suggestions. And ultimately all we’re getting from the 1Password team here is pretty much just “sorry that was confusing to you, we aren’t going to do anything about it this time though, just stay tuned for 7.2”.

And I mean if that’s the way it is, that’s the way it is. It’s obviously very much your choice as a company. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and likely for others too.

I don’t want to go on and on about it because it isn’t helping, clearly, and I apologize myself for dragging it on. I do recognize it’s a minor issue overall and that I’m just in a bad mood today and should probably pry my hands away from the keyboard. Haha. All I can say at this point is that I would just try to keep in mind that we beta testers do this ultimately because we want to see you guys succeed - we do this for YOU. So when a concern is brought up by several of your beta testers and it is the most simplest thing to address but yet it isn’t going to be addressed... it just feels like a poor experience to me - both as a beta tester and as a customer.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for clarifying. We'll see what we can do to avoid it in the future.

• CashMc
    CashMc
    Community Member

I'm glad that this has brought up. I too was confused during onboarding process.

Glad it's been clarified here and I agree a standard "auto response" from the team is poor.

Just my 2 cents

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No autoresponses here. And this is history. You should try the new beta. ;)

This discussion has been closed.