I am curious that someone might have got my password.

Options
Jager
Jager
Community Member

I am curious that someone might have got my password.
I have changed the Master password from my Mac, but I can still login through my I phone and Ipad app using the old password!
Mac OS 10.13.6 (17G65) iPhone and iPad (iOS 11.4.1)
1Password
Version 6.8.9 (689000)
Mac App Store

This means that if somebody else knows my password it won't make any change to change the master password on any of my devices.
Because they can still use the old password!

I think this is a very big safety issue!

Is there a way to change the master password on all devices or block all the devices or force them to use the new password?
Additionally all the devices are still syncing the data!
Which means they can access to my new and old password after I change the master password on my Mac.

I need an urgent response. Please help.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: os 10.13.6 (17G65)
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:multiple master password

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Jager,

This article may help better explain what is happening here:

How 1Password syncs changes to your Master Password - AgileBits Blog

In short: When using legacy sync options such as iCloud and Dropbox 1Password can only sync changes when it is unlocked. It can’t unlock until you’ve entered the Master Password. So the first time you unlock after changing your Master Password on another device it doesn’t know about that change. Once you’ve unlocked and synced the first time subsequent unlocks should require your new Master Password.

1Password membership (where your data is synced via 1Password.com) doesn’t work this way. It’ll always require the current Master Password unless a sequence of events like this happens:

• Device A is disconnected from the internet
    • The Master Password for your 1Password account is changed (say, on Device B )
    • You try to unlock Device A with the new Master Password [won’t unlock]
    • You try to unlock Device A with the old Master Password [unlocks]

With 1Password membership it is possible to access cached data using an old Master Password if the device has not been disconnected from the internet and not unlocked using the new Master Password, but it will not sync new data. As soon as the device is reconnected to the internet it will require the new Master Password. As such if you suspect that both of these statements are true, you should change all of your passwords:

• You suspect your Master Password has been compromised
    • You are no longer in possession of one of your devices that is logged into your 1Password account

Ben

This discussion has been closed.