Markdown engine interprets lines beginning with dates as headings

Options
semblance
semblance
Community Member
edited August 2018 in Mac

Many hundreds of my Secure Notes contain logs of events formatted like this:

27 Aug 2018 - things happened, which sometimes take more than one paragraph to describe.
So I continue writing in another paragraph.
And another one.

28 Aug 2018 - more things happened.
And so on.

After upgrading to 1Password 7 with its Markdown feature, the lines starting with dates are rendered as massive bold headings, while the lines not starting with dates are rendered in the usual (extremely small) font.

So now it looks something like this:

27 Aug 2018 - things happened, which sometimes take more than one paragraph to describe.

So I continue writing in another paragraph.
And another one.

28 Aug 2018 - more things happened.

And so on.

This has kind of broken the semantic intention of my event logs across many hundreds of Secure Notes. In the notation I was following, lines starting with dates were not meant to be headings - they're just the first of several paragraphs at the same level, which together describe events that occurred on that date.

My question is this: which part of the markdown convention(s) are you using to determine that the lines starting with dates should be interpreted as headings? I have not come across this before.

Also, why is there such a huge contrast between the font sizes of headings vs. body? At the moment it looks ridiculous.

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @semblance

There aren’t any characters preceeding the date? Or, perhaps, at the end of the previous paragraph? Markdown uses the hash mark (#) to determine what should be a heading... so:

# Heading 1

Heading 1

## Heading 2

Heading 2

Also, why is there such a huge contrast between the font sizes of headings vs. body? At the moment it looks ridiculous.

We plan to address the font size in a future update.

Ben

• semblance
    semblance
    Community Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

Hi @Ben

Yes I'm aware that Markdown uses # for headings - I already use those extensively along with bold, bullet lists and numbered list Markdown. Even before 1P7, I just got used to writing and reading plaintext Markdown, even though they wasn't rendered as Markdown. So it's great to see all that rendered correctly in 1P7!

But my question isn't about that, it's about text starting with a date followed by a dash followed by normal paragraph text. There are no other characters prefixing those lines, they're exactly as shown above.

Maybe you could quickly try it and see if you get the same behaviour?

• rudy
    edited August 2018
    Options

@semblance,

I copied your example into both 7.0.7 and the current development version and both display it as plain text here.

• Ben
    Options

I’ve had the same experience as Rudy. Are you able to reproduce this if you create a new note with the same text?

Ben

• semblance
    semblance
    Community Member
    Options

Ooops - you're right, sorry. The Secure Note I was looking at was different from all the others and does have a # in front of the dates! I don't remember doing that.

Please ignore this thread, I am very sorry for wasting your time!

• Ben
    Options

No worries. Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you were able to get this figured out. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.