Password trouble after opvault upgrade

I was asked to upgrade my vault, after my Andoid app updated to V7 and I rather prematurely agreed, as I couldnt see a way around it. After the upgrade I couldn't log into either my 1password on Android, nor on my Windows app. After almost giving up (and almost sending you a very angry emai), I tried my OLD Masterpassword (changed it a few weeks back) and hey presto, it worked. How can that be? What if I hadn't by pure chance, used my old password? What If I hadn't remembered it? I'd never have been able to access my 400+ passwords again. That is a major (one would like to say fatal) functionality and security issue!
Now with that shock out of the way, there was more to come: I had changed my Masterpassword, because the old one isn't partcularly good. But if I go into Preference > Security and attempt to change the Masterpassword I cannot select "OK": it remains greyed out. I tried on Android (where I use the free version), but the masterpassword change didn't stick.
Also my Firefox extension won't accept EITHER masterpassword (and yes, the new opvault is selected).
So, could you please explain:

a) how I can change my Masterpassword on the Windows app?
b) how I can access my extension?
c) how you can release something as security-critical as a new vault format, when the migration clearly is anything but bug-free (I notice there are quite a few users with issues, so I am clearly not the odd-one out.... and assuring your users that none of you guys have had any issues is little comfort..... as you will surely know the lack of evidence of bugs is not evidence of lack of bugs.... and by now even you shoud have to concede that there is plenty of evidence of bugs amongst your user base, even if your testers didn't find em...)

Thanks and apologies for the little outburst at the end, but people RELY on 1password working and if it fails so spectacularly after an enforced update that's not just an incovenience. That's people cut off from their online banking, online health care and other essential services.

Hannah.

1Password Version: 4.2.626
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: Win 10 v. 1803 (build 17134.228)
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:opvault compatibility

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hrr,

Thank you for getting in touch! I am really sorry for the troubles and difficulties with 1Password on your Android and PC.

I can totally understand where you are coming from, so we will need to investigate what happened during the upgrade process on your devices. Before I answer your questions, could you please create Diagnostics Reports from 1Password 7 on your Android device and 1Password 4 on your Windows PC? It will give us more information about your current setup and help me address your concerns. Here is how you can create there reports:

Sending Diagnostics Reports

Attach the Diagnostics Reports to an email messages addressed to support+windows@agilebits.com. Please do not post them here, but please do include a link to this thread in your emails, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your reports in our inbox. You should receive automated replies from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID numbers. Please post those numbers here so we can track down the reports and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly.

Cheers,
    Greg

• hrr
    hrr
    Community Member

Hi Greg,
    I tried to do what you asked:
    The support ID for the Android log is [#XJY-68973-191].
    The Windows App won't provide a log. Neither Select Help > Diagnostics Report > Export to File nor Select Help > Diagnostics Report > E-mail to AgileBits works.
    The good news is that the change of Masterpassword in the Android app now appears to have taken place, as I can now unlock 1password on Windows with the new Masterpassword. (I'd still be curious to find out how the vault upgrade caused 1Password to revert to my old password tho).
    I tried uninstalling and reinstalling my firefox extension. I don't know if that is what made the difference, but it also appears to work with the new Masterpassword.
    Also, I would like to know if I can archive / delete my old agilekeychain vault? I don't want to get into the situation, where I open the old vault by accident and then have two vaults with different modifications made.
    Finally, I also have a license for 1Password 6 for Mac. Will I be able to use that with the new opvault?
    Thanks for your help,
    Hannah.

• @hrr: I'm glad things seem to be sorting out! Before getting rid of that AgileKeychain, I'd make a change each on Android and Windows just to make sure they are syncing happily. If both changes show up both places, you should be able to archive the old AgileKeychain. As for Mac, 1Password 6 for Mac will happily sync OPVault, so point it to the right place and you should be good. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.