Why isn't the "normal" 1password extension available in Mozilla addons store?

Options

I'm just curious, I don't have any particular issues with this. I can see 1Password X in the Mozilla addons store for Firefox extensions, but I don't see the "normal" 1Password extension that communicates with the desktop app. The non-X extension needs to be installed directly from the website.

I assume there is a technical reason for this, since you've added 1Password X to the addons store. Can you share what those reasons are? Sorry if you've already answered this question, I wasn't able to find it in my searching.

Obviously I trust you guys, or I wouldn't be giving you all my passwords, so I don't have any trust issues. The only minor problem this causes is that I need to manually install it on all my computers instead of Firefox Sync doing that for me automatically. :-)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @fritzophrenic,

When Mozilla first created their store there were different requirements depending on if you self-hosted the extension or it was to appear in the store. At least in the beginning (not sure about now) there was also additional automation for publishing new versions that only applied when self-hosting. So it was a case of weighing up what we wanted. As the companion extension is useless without the native application and 1Password would prompt to install I suppose it allowed us to push the debate down the road whilst we focussed on improving the extension. Whether it is self-hosted or in the store though, all Firefox extensions do go through vetting by Mozilla as only Mozilla signed extensions can be installed.

I've never used any form of browser sync so I didn't know that Firefox's implementation would only work for store based extensions. That's certainly something to consider.

This discussion has been closed.