Windows 8.1 Pro on corp domain, This app can't run on your PC

1Password 7.2.576
.NET 4.7.2
windows 8.1 Pro 64bit on corp domain
Symantec software as virus protection thing (controlled by domain)
LANDesk also installed and controlled by domain
I'm a member of the local administrators group

Problem: 1Password installs initially no errors and runs without issue. Syncs with my 1Password cloud account. Life is good. Restart the laptop and 1Password is showing this error when attempting to run

After much investigation I see that the digital signature on the 1Password.exe located in

C:\users[UID]\AppData\Local\1password\app\7

is gone. The files in this folder appear to be modified.

Here's the 1Password.exe Properties after initial installation

After laptop reboot the properties

Note how the tab: "Digital Signature" is totally gone.

I'm stumped.

-mark

1Password Version: 7.2.576
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• @Durango_mark this is strange, but computers are no magic, we just need to figure which piece of software on your machine is modifying 1Password.exe. Something has removed our signature from the file, 1Password itself can not do that. Since you mentioned Symantec it's best bet to start with. If it's possible try running 1Password without Symantec (or whitelist it), then turn Symantec on and try again. This will confirm if it's the one removing signatures. I'm not familiar with Symantec, but I'm sure there should be a log or some other indication if it's touching 1Password.exe.

• Durango_mark
    Durango_mark
    Community Member

I don't have any control over the Symantec EndPoint software because it is a work laptop. Meaning I can't stop, disable or uninstall.
    What I don't understand is the basics of how the digital signature could even be removed and why only on the restart of the laptop. If I leave my laptop up and running 1Password can stop/start without any issue. This leads me to believe it's something unique to the boot process of this particular laptop. I have another work laptop running Windows 8.1 Pro and 1Password works fine through restarts. Windows is so frustrating to me because it's really, really hard to debug what happens. Do you think something like removing the digital signature be in the event logs or something.

• There can be a logon script set by group policy. I believe it should leave some traces in Event Log. It's best to check with domain admins, this is not normal for apps to lose their signatures, almost like something is trying to inject some code into that file.

This discussion has been closed.