Inconsistent 1PW Mini experience with TouchID unlock

defiant
defiant
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I've just got a MBP that has TouchID so unlocking with it is new to me.

However, I noticed when I unlock with TouchID that 1PW doesn't auto login to the website I'm trying to fill. I'm using Chrome stable, and invoking 1PW with ⌘+\

It just opens up the 1PW mini window, sometimes not even on the suggested site - sometimes on the password generator, or favourites. It's like 1PW mini loses focus of my browser (Chrome) so has no idea what website I'm trying to auto fill/login to so must open the last thing I was in. Yet it autofills the login in the background anyway.

If I unlock using my master password it works every time.

Is this issue known?

Edit.. I downgraded to 1Password 6 (6.8.9) and it works perfectly. I guess this is probably related to your app isolation and having to use a script etc to auto login to websites?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.1.BETA-1 (70100001) AgileBit
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member

Forgot to mention, if I unlock with my master password it auto fills and logs in without the 1PW mini window staying open. Whereas using TouchID the 1PW mini window stays open.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@defiant: Sorry for the trouble there. There are some issues between 1Password mini, the macOS Touch ID prompt, and the browser with regard to focus. We're looking into it to see if there's something we can do to work around it.

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty :)

• Hi @defiant ,

To be specific, which part didn't work? Did it fill, but just not submit the login? Or did it not fill at all?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

@ag_kevin It was a mixed result with regards to filling. More often than not it did auto fill, but there was the odd occasion.

But yeah, auto submit definitely wasn’t working on first unlock with touchid

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member

Not sure if this was even being looked at, but with 7.1b3 the problem still exists for me

• Hi @defiant

Apologies for the delay on this. If filling is not happening we’ll need some more details on that.

• What is the URL to the login form that isn’t filling?
    • Have you tried saving a new login item from that form, and if so does the new item fill properly?

I’d suggest filing reports for any pages that are not working in our Saving and Filling in Browsers category.

Autosubmit is a different story. That is expected behavior. Autosubmit is going away. Some additional details can be found here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/452644/#Comment_452644

Ben

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member

I don't have my Mac handy currently so can't provide any more details.

I did read that auto submit was going away and that's pretty disappointing. 1Password already requires user interaction to fill the login so taking away auto submit just because Safari will disallow it is a bit of a joke.

I can understand from an auto filling and auto submitting password manager, like Lastpass, disallowing auto submit is good in that respect to negate credential stealing.

So every time I want to fill a password now it'll require me to interact twice with 1Password 1st to fill and 2nd to submit, great... >_<

• @defiant,

Correction, still only one interaction with 1Password, to fill. The submit part is an interaction with the browser itself.

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member

Yes, good point @rudy

But still two interactions from a users perspective ^_^

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

disallowing auto submit is good in that respect to negate credential stealing

@defiant: That's a good observation, and it's why 1Password has never filled without user interaction, but that's not why autosubmit is going away. Rather, sending keystrokes — like Return/Enter to submit a form — is a mechanism that can be easily abused.

But still two interactions from a users perspective ^_^

I hear you. It will actually be even more in many cases though: 1) fill login credentials, 2) complete CAPTCHA / "I am not a robot" process, 3) submit form using keyboard (Return) or mouse — as well as other edge cases. That's unavoidable, and though not always necessary, not uncommon. And it's something that results in a lot of people disabling autosubmit anyway, because having it enabled in that scenario results in, at best, login failure, and at worst, account lockout. So I can't say I'm sad to see it go away. That's just one of many cases where autosubmit causes problems, completely separate from the security implications.

You're not wrong that disallowing keystrokes being sent is technically only being enforced by Safari (starting with version 12), but it's a good call and I would be surprised if others don't follow suit in the near future anyway (as they did with "private browsing", 3rd party cookies, local file access, and other security/privacy options). And since 1Password can generally leave the password field focused so it's a simple matter to submit the form using Return (which is right between and \ on my keyboard, so not even out of the way), I think you'll find it to be less troublesome than you're expecting. If that means none of us have to worry about malicious extensions sending keystrokes in our browser, I think that's a net win.

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member

Yeah I know, regarding the captcha's or i'm not a robot I genreally fill or check that before I do the 1password workflow

I don't know how the 1pw mini window is going to behave with touchid unlock and autosubmit disabled, whether it will stay up instead of filling but we'll see once I get my mac back from repair

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yeah I know, regarding the captcha's or i'm not a robot I genreally fill or check that before I do the 1password workflow

@defiant: Sounds good. :) :+1: However, since 1Password tries to recreate what it saved when filling, this can affect the CAPTCHA. So it's often necessary to just not use autosubmit in those cases. Anyway, it's a moot point once autosubmit goes away.

I don't know how the 1pw mini window is going to behave with touchid unlock and autosubmit disabled, whether it will stay up instead of filling but we'll see once I get my mac back from repair

Autosubmit should have no impact on Touch ID, but definitely let us know if you encounter any further issues once you're able to use your Mac again. :)

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

@brenty I've taken a screen recording of 1Pw mini staying in the foreground instead of disappearing.

Can I email it through with reference to this thread as I'd rather not link the video here

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@defiant: Thanks for the offer! Please send it to support@1password.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#RUI-18997-625]

If you’re reading this and you are not defiant, this Support ID is for defiant only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link it to our current conversation. Happy to take a look. :)

ref: RUI-18997-625

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member

Sweet, email sent @brenty :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks! We'll take a look and get back to you there. :)

This discussion has been closed.