Exporting data without access to a native application

I would like to export my 1Password data for importing into another password manager. However, I do not have convenient access to a Windows or macOS machine.

Have I missed an export function in the web interface, or am I doomed to a lot of copy and pasting?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:linux

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lmcm: Unfortunately the 1Password.com website does not have an export capability, as that's handled by the desktop apps. But, just to be clear, are you trying to do this on a mobile device? If so, even if the website could do that, I'm not sure you'd be able to easily transfer it to another app without using a computer — at least not without copying and pasting, in which case you're back to square one. Could you perhaps use a trusted friend or family member's computer temporarily?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Not mobile, no. The only PCs I have convenient access to at the moment are running Linux (therefore the move away from 1Password).

Oh well, I’ll be with someone with a MacBook in a week, I’ll borrow theirs. :)

It’s my own fault, I didn’t consider this until too late. ^^

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@lmcm - if you're using primarily Linux, then I would invite you to check out 1Password X, our Chrome-extension-only version of 1Password. It works seamlessly with a 1password.com account, and only requires a Chrome extension to use.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lmcm: No, this is really not your fault. I'm sorry we don't have a good solution for this right now, but it's something that we're working toward. I'm sorry that you didn't find 1Password a good fit for you in the first place, and having to jump through hoops to get your data out, even taking into account that we didn't have a native Linux app in the first place, sucks and is something we're working to rectify. We want happy customers, not trapped ones. While we work toward offering better export facilities, I'd love to hear about any other things you'd like us to improve or add to 1Password. Thanks again for taking the time to reach out to us about this. :blush:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@Lars 1Password X is looking extremely nice :) I'm pretty wedded to Firefox at the moment though.

@brenty Good news! I remembered that the CLI tool existed, and have managed to pull all of my items out via that. :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lmcm: Ah, that's great! For some reason I just hadn't considered that use case for the CLI app, so I appreciate you mentioning it. That may help others in the future as well. We still need to do better in this area, but I'm glad you were able to find a workaround.

You may also be interested to know that while 1Password X for Firefox is not yet finished, you can already sign up for the beta. Cheers! :)

• railto
    railto
    Community Member

In the same situation myself, unfortunately 1Password is no longer cutting it for me. I was previously using apple devices and it was seemless, and whilst 1Password X on linux works well, I've discovered that the Android client for 1Password is just no where near as good as the iPhone version. Hopefully something can be sorted for this soon, my next step is to build a windows vm so I can install the client to export the data out

• Hi @railto

We’ve just released 1Password 7 for Android with some great improvements.

1Password 7 for Android: The Best Ever | 1Password

Have you tried v7?

Ben

• railto
    railto
    Community Member

hi @Ben I've just checked and seems the update has not hit the Google Play store for Ireland yet, showing me on the latest version, but the app is saying it's 6.8.

• Okay, thanks for letting us know. Hopefully it’ll make its way there any time now.

Ben

• railto
    railto
    Community Member

A week later and the update is still not showing up in the Google Play store for Ireland. Think when I get home tonight I'm going to use my wifes windows machine so I can export my data, the android app is an absolutely terrible experience compared to the iOS version.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sorry to hear that you haven't yet been able to see the free upgrade in the Google Play store where you live. I'm seeing it here, and hopefully it will make its way to your part of the world soon too.

This discussion has been closed.